News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pat Brockwell

Re:Maintenance budgets for ranked courses
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2005, 02:26:49 PM »
At Black Mesa we've kept the maintenance costs right at 500k. I could find useful things to buy and do with more, of course, but our mantra has been do alot with alittle and appreciate good workers and their work.  The easiest way to waste money is to have employees who don't have a good reason to give a good effort.  I can play a course and know whether or not the crew likes their boss/employer.  Bump my budget and the first item to adjust would be payroll, then a new piece or equipment or two.  It's about people and tools.

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2005, 02:45:16 PM »
Pat:

I think all superintendents should be dressed like Carl Spackler (Bill Murray's character in Caddie Shack).
"Hey Whitey, where'd ya get the hat...no, it looks good on you."

Mike_Young

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2005, 08:56:06 PM »
Steve,
I really like your last post...sorta sums it up the way I see it....
I have always said the heros of your business are the guys doing it for those $250000 budgets without the assts etc and really liking every minute of it.  
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike H

Re: Maintenance budgets for ranked courses
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2024, 06:57:55 PM »
With inflation the last 18-19 years since this post, what are maintenance budgets looking like now on top courses?  There wasn't many definitive answers given in this post and a lot of conversation about what goes into a budget.  I would specifically be interested in the upper end of budgets and what clubs spend going into majors.

archie_struthers

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2024, 07:24:42 PM »
 8)

no....LOL  just looked at the date. Great memory Mike ,nothing much more fun than watching Mucci and TEP slug it out back then   thanks for the memory
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 07:32:23 PM by archie_struthers »

archie_struthers

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2024, 07:28:14 PM »
 8)

I would think that most of the top tier Top 100 world list would have budgets in excess of $1,500,000 Million US.
Perhaps some of the Irish / Scottish tops might be a bit less. Think any of the top 50 are under $1m US ?

Matt Wharton

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2024, 07:01:04 AM »
I would say it is safe to assume the $1M budget you discussed in 2005 is now $2M and the $700K budget is closer to $1.5M. It started with rising costs due to "supply chain issues"  and has continued with inflation. Over the past two years I've personally seen large increases in labor as wages have increased, but unfortunately golf course maintenance employees are still paid less on average than workers in landscaping, construction, roofing, drywall, and other lines of work competing for the same labor pool.
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Tom_Doak

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2024, 09:07:18 AM »

I would think that most of the top tier Top 100 world list would have budgets in excess of $1,500,000 Million US.
Perhaps some of the Irish / Scottish tops might be a bit less. Think any of the top 50 are under $1m US ?

Interestingly, I just got the year-end figures from St. Patrick's, which is now ranked #49 in the world, and I can confirm that at least ONE of the top 50 is maintained for less than $1 million.  Quite a bit less, actually.  Frank Casey Sr. would go nuts if we spent that much on maintenance, but we aren't interested in going there, anyway.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2024, 11:20:25 AM »
Not sure where it falls on the various lists out there today, but I heard that Lawsonia's budget (for the Links course) is around $500K.

(This was in 2021...just to clarify...so prob closer to $700K today.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 04:39:18 PM by Ian Mackenzie »

Daryl David

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2024, 07:49:39 PM »
I think we would be shocked if we knew how many of the courses in the second 100 have maintenance budgets that are or exceed $1.5 million.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2024, 09:45:34 AM »
Came back here to note reading something this morning:

The maintenance budget of Pasatiempo in 1932 was $12,000 per year.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2024, 10:04:51 AM »

Cost of Living adjusted that is $256.3k in 2023.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2024, 10:13:53 AM »

Or, 15-20% of what clubs spend now, after inflation.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2024, 11:51:11 AM »

Or, 15-20% of what clubs spend now, after inflation.

To be fair, if players would accept 1932 conditions, they might well be able to get close that number.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Thomas Dai

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2024, 03:13:36 PM »
Expectations, essentials, frills and the 80-20 rule?
Atb

Grant Saunders

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2024, 04:54:25 PM »
Our club just ordered a new fairway mower essentially identical to one purchased 3 years ago

The price has increased by 75% of the previous one

Inflation does not even come close to explaining the costs being incurred at the moment

Sean_A

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2024, 03:40:55 AM »
Our club just ordered a new fairway mower essentially identical to one purchased 3 years ago

The price has increased by 75% of the previous one

Inflation does not even come close to explaining the costs being incurred at the moment

Generally agree. No different to the jacked up price of sweets being blamed on higher sugar cost. Or mega hikes in maintenance work being blamed on oil prices.

It’s all a scam. Yes, I am cynical. 😎

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2024, 05:26:31 AM »
I think we would be shocked if we knew how many of the courses in the second 100 have maintenance budgets that are or exceed $1.5 million.

Similar to the rounds of golf thread, location plays a MAJOR role in budget numbers. AZ, CA, PA, CT, NY, FL, TX would have much higher budgets than other areas of the country.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2024, 07:29:55 AM »
As Anthony mentioned, if you are open year round and need to staff the full year the numbers are much higher.  I work as a golf course superintendent at a mid level golf course in the Phoenix Valley and my budget is $1.4 million.  Obviously, that does not include water, just payroll and expenses.  If you are a high end private club that is year round your budget will be at least 2.5 million, with quite a few over 3 million.  With inflation going out of control lately, increasing your budget 5% every year isn't enough.  Payroll has skyrocketed with the average hourly employee being around $20 compared to $15 just 3-4 years ago.  Fertilizer got extremely expensive at the beginning of the Ukraine war as a lot of it comes from that region, but it has leveled out a bit lately. 

Working at a club that closes for 3-4 months a year will help the budget number immensely. 

I am all for the movement in the desert to eventually stop overseeding and embrace the paints, or new turf types that don't go off color as much.  The amount of money that is spent on seed, fertilizer, repair and maintenance, chemicals to eradicate the ryegrass, water to grow it in, etc, etc. is a huge chunk of that budget every year.  As long as people stop expecting every course out here to look like TPC scottsdale when they come to visit this movement will take hold.  Having that extra 25 days of being open, compared to closed for overseed might tilt the scale for obsessed golf crazy communities. 

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2024, 08:46:23 AM »
As Anthony mentioned, if you are open year round and need to staff the full year the numbers are much higher.  I work as a golf course superintendent at a mid level golf course in the Phoenix Valley and my budget is $1.4 million.  Obviously, that does not include water, just payroll and expenses.  If you are a high end private club that is year round your budget will be at least 2.5 million, with quite a few over 3 million.  With inflation going out of control lately, increasing your budget 5% every year isn't enough.  Payroll has skyrocketed with the average hourly employee being around $20 compared to $15 just 3-4 years ago.  Fertilizer got extremely expensive at the beginning of the Ukraine war as a lot of it comes from that region, but it has leveled out a bit lately. 

Working at a club that closes for 3-4 months a year will help the budget number immensely. 

I am all for the movement in the desert to eventually stop overseeding and embrace the paints, or new turf types that don't go off color as much.  The amount of money that is spent on seed, fertilizer, repair and maintenance, chemicals to eradicate the ryegrass, water to grow it in, etc, etc. is a huge chunk of that budget every year.  As long as people stop expecting every course out here to look like TPC scottsdale when they come to visit this movement will take hold.  Having that extra 25 days of being open, compared to closed for overseed might tilt the scale for obsessed golf crazy communities.

Peter -- how dormant do you get in the winter, and how much play do you have while the warm season grass is dormant? I have always thought that overseeding was the poster child for unsustainable golf, but equally it has always struck me that putting thousands of rounds across a golf course that isn't growing can't be good for condition.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Dave Doxey

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2024, 09:54:37 AM »
Without specifics on what expendatures are included in a "maintenance budget", comparison is not meaqningful.

JohnVDB

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2024, 10:00:31 AM »
Back in the mid-oughts I did an annual survey of the member clubs of the Western PAnGolf Association. We asked about budgets and the like.  We left Oakmont out of the final report on maintenance budget because it would have skewed the averages and everyone would have known how much they were spending.  The number was well over $1M back then.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2024, 10:14:16 AM »
Back in the mid-oughts I did an annual survey of the member clubs of the Western PAnGolf Association. We asked about budgets and the like.  We left Oakmont out of the final report on maintenance budget because it would have skewed the averages and everyone would have known how much they were spending.  The number was well over $1M back then.

I remember that it was reported in the golf press in 1982 or 83 that Grand Cypress Resort in Orlando was the first course in the USA to have a $1 million maintenance budget.  Of course, it's highly likely that places like Augusta National were ahead of the curve, but they don't send out press releases to tell you about it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2024, 10:16:44 AM »
Without specifics on what expendatures are included in a "maintenance budget", comparison is not meaqningful.

True, but also not true.

Obviously courses in the western USA which have to spend $1m+ on water will have way higher maintenance budgets than courses in Britain & Ireland where grass grows naturally.  So the numbers do not give a good indication of how the greenkeeper is doing with the $ he's given.

Even so, the numbers give a pretty accurate indication of how sustainable golf is in those respective places.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2024, 11:43:23 AM »

Similar to the rounds of golf thread, location plays a MAJOR role in budget numbers. AZ, CA, PA, CT, NY, FL, TX would have much higher budgets than other areas of the country.
Anthony - what is unique about those states, and why are PA, NY and CT mentioned but not other nearby states like NJ or MA?  Is it labor costs?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back