News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Clayton

Peter Thomson's New - and First - Book
« on: May 14, 2005, 10:40:53 PM »
Peter Thomson has finally produced a book. It was assembled from a series of transcribed tapes as well as a number of reprinted newspaper articles he had written over 40 as columnist for the Melbourne Age.

It is a Harvey Pennick type book full of the opinions that made him the leading spokesman for the game outside of America for almost half a century.

On 'A Sickening Game.'

'I learned to play the American game over there between 1951 and 1960 and it revolted me.I have always regarded the bounce of the ball as the third dimension in golf,but the ball is not allowed to bounce in America. It is sickening to see the game reduced to something like archery or darts. Golf only becomes really difficult and chalenging on hard courses. It is then that skill,not strength,counts for everything. If the ground is allowed to become firm by the natural processes of weather,then the ball will bounce as it should,and as it was intended to do.
I turned my back on America when I saw them designing and constructing heavily watered courses over 7000 yards long.
I can't beat them that type of game,nor do I want to waste my time trying. When I saw what was happening in the States it became my burning ambition to prove to the Americans- and all of those people who insist that to be successful,a profesional must first play on their tour- that I could prepare myself to win the British Open again by playing the British circuit. That is why I have no hesitation calling this (the 1965 Open) by far the greatest of my successes.I have achieved a great ambition by winning with the Ameican big three(Arnold Palmer,Jack Nicklaus and Tony Lema) in the field.

Golf World Interview 1965 with Ben Wright.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 10:42:04 PM by Mike_Clayton »

Coral_Ridge

Re:Peter Thomson's New - and First - Book
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 10:47:26 PM »
Tony Lema?  For a while he was something to watch.

Interesting comments to say the least!  Might a overall test of golf include both run up shots and shots that fly to the pin.

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 03:48:47 AM »
Mike,

Is it worth buying?  

Some of his stuff in The Age can be very dry...

Chris Kane

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 03:58:02 AM »
Mike, didn't Thomson release a book about Australia's best golf holes some time ago?  I think David Elvins has a copy.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 04:06:22 AM »
Mark

It is really good - you won't agree with everything but it's a view inside a mind that developed an uncommon approach to the game.
It's not out until the British Open and it won't be expensive.

Chris.

It was a picture book - of not very good pictures - but with none of his writing or thoughts.

This is more of a Harvey Pennick type book.

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 04:07:58 AM »
Chris, correct. Its called "Peter Thomson's Classic Golf Holes of Australia". There is a photo of RM's 16 east on the cover. Published in 1988. Good book with some fine photos.

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 06:35:46 AM »
hopefully the whole book won't be in the same vein as the quote Mike posted...Peter ought to lighten up a bit based on that
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 06:59:52 AM »
Paul

Hopefully you will like this a little more.

'Ray Floyd did not come through the Institute of Fine Swings.He came up through the School of Hard Knocks which issues diplomas to those who survive the hot furnace of rough and tumble,gambling one's last dollar.
At the school,there are no coaches,motivators or therapists.The course teaches self-reliance and hard concentration when the chips are down.There is no one to turn to when you want a piece of coddling.There is always a shark circling and you had better not show fear and turn and run.Your only weapon is your courage and experience teaches you how to use it.Such training makes a simple problem of a metre putt on a steep sliding green,with millions watching you.Or with six holes to go,and a lead of one shot,it is nothing more to worry about than walking a tightrope.Like is like that - seldom wholly comfortable.Most players don't like the hot seat.A golfer with Floyd's qualifications and training runs a cool circulation system.The hotter it gets the more he enjoys it.'

The Age 1993.
Or a piece on design.

'The Perfect Par Four.

I admire simplicity and subtlety in par fours.Believe it or not I've always thought the first hole on The Old Course at St Andrews is the best design there is.It's so simple.There's only one feature,and that's the burn.It's close to the green and very difficult to judge the distance,especially when the wind is blowing.It has a fairway as wide as the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) and an enormous green,but it causes tremendous havoc.I've tried to create that subtlety in things I've designed.'

Robert_Walker

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 12:09:41 PM »
I understand that Thomson has designed some courses in Australia. What are they like?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 02:24:53 PM »
Mike, I remember when Peter was asked why he had never written a book of golf instruction. His reply was that there was insuffucient material to fill a book.

"You take it back and sweep it forward, nothing more than that."

Bob

Robert_Walker

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 04:17:38 PM »
Do his designs favor the ground game?

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 05:14:46 PM »
Robert
Ran has written an excellent review of Hope Island here and that is probably the type of course most would associate with his company.

He is a big fan of pot bunkers liberally spread over fairways and ,yes, there is very much an emphasis on running the ball into his greens.
Surprisingly for one who grew up in Melbourne,he is not a lover of 'massive gaping bunkers staring at you' 'It's very peculiar and it has come to be admired. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but this doesn't look good to me.'

ed_getka

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2005, 05:17:13 PM »
Someone wrote a bio of Thomson a while back that I have a copy of but haven't read yet. Are you guys familiar with it, and if so, what do you think of it?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2005, 05:23:10 PM »
Ed

By Peter Mitchell?
It's quite good - and a really good record of the time.
You will enjoy it.

ed_getka

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2005, 05:27:42 PM »
Mike,
  Thats the one, thanks.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Michael Plunkett

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2005, 08:25:43 PM »
Mike, I remember when Peter was asked why he had never written a book of golf instruction. His reply was that there was insuffucient material to fill a book.

"You take it back and sweep it forward, nothing more than that."

Bob

I read a different quote- that his instruction book would be the 'smallest book ever published' - "You pre-turn the right hip at address," Thomson replied.

The "You take it back and sweep it forward, nothing more than that" quote is the reason tour players should never teach golf to the general public-  hahaha.

Going to bed early for Hidden Creek like a kid on Christmas Eve- the 5Am start has nothing to do with it-  LOL.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 04:37:22 AM »
One of my prized possesions is a 1965 vinyl record (LP-33 speed) of Peter Thomson's thoughts on gof instruction. And just like a book, its material is broken up with a CONTENTS Page:

Stance
Grip
Take away
Down Swing
Etc
Etc

I purchased it for AU$1.30; when I last checked, it had
sky-rocketed to $85.00 on the memorabilia market.

The most expensive (and scarce) record - one you must buy if it appears, was made by legendary Australian golfer and
hardened drinker, Ossie Pickworth. It is worth in the $100s.

Arnold Palmer also made a pretty snazzy record, too.

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005, 05:20:55 AM »
Mike,
In his 1994 address to the GCSAA, Crenshaw mentions Crockford's book 'The Complete Golf Course', which Peter Thomson apparently helped publish. I know it was a limited run. How would a club go about obtaining a copy today? Have you got Bill Edgar's book Mike?

Paul_Daley

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2005, 05:30:02 AM »
Mark G: the company published just 1,000 copies of the Crockford book. Nearly all have gone, but there is a journalist called Brendan Moloney who bought multiple copies at launch for future re-sale. Expect to pay $200-$300 if any are left.

I have the Billy Edgar book you've asked Michael about:
the one written by Commonwealth Golf Club member, David Worley.

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2005, 08:12:14 AM »
Thanks Paul. I guessed it would be something like a thousand.

Does the Worley book mention AR? He played a lot of golf with Edgar over the years.

Your Thomo LP isn't that unusual. Aaron Baddeley is putting together a modern-day version for the Ipod as we speak. Grip, stance and ball position interspersed by fashion advice and Billy Graham plugs :)

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2005, 08:41:24 AM »
The Thomson published book of Crockford's work at RM is a beauty.

I suggest that anyone with the ability to get their hands on it do so. It is one of the more prized pieces within my library. Any supers out there with a really keen interest in furthering their trade would stand to gain an enormous amount from reading what are the words of nothing less than a genius. Crockford certainly was one in a million.

Brendan Moloney is a nice guy too. He periodically writes for Golf Australia magazine (i think), and could be contacted through their office.

Matthew
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 08:43:50 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Paul_Daley

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2005, 06:04:31 PM »
Mark G: David Worley's book on Bill Edgar is littered with references to Alex Russell. Considering the age of the mono photographs, they are surprisingly crisp, which points to top class drum-scanning.  

Matty Mollica is spot-on about the Crockford book; it is loaded with great info on turf, agronomy, golf course community plant life and design. Crocky's pearls of wisdom throughout demonstrate that he though a great deal about this aspect of the game. Photography by Roger Gould, Harley Kruse and Peter Thomson.  

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2005, 10:55:27 PM »
Thanks gents. I'm sure they're both great.

Paul, how much time have you spent in the library at Royal Melbourne? I hear it's pretty extensive.

Chris Kane

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2005, 11:04:55 PM »
Mark, you could spend a long time in the RM library - great collection of architecture books, as well as club histories from most of the world's notable clubs.

Every club should have a library like that one.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2005, 09:08:12 AM »
Tremendous to hear.

I've found his writing interesting. The World Atlas of Golf, his book about his favorite Australian Golf Holes, and then interviews here and there. Always brilliant stuff.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back