News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Re:If you could ask Mike Keiser one question...
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2005, 09:33:48 PM »
There sure is a lot I'd ask of Mike Keiser.

I would like to ask him what he thinks the state of golf course development/ownership and golf course architecture will be like 10 years from now and even further down the road; you know when Tom Paul will be quietly rocking in his chair on his front porch at last figuring out the final elusive writings of Max Behr and nearing his 125,000th post on GCA.

I'd like to know some of the courses that inspired him to build the courses he has.

I'd like to know how he is archiving materials relating to the design and maintenance of his golf courses and if he'd consider someday making these available to a golf architecture archive and research facility should one come about.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2005, 10:16:02 PM »
"How did you make the decision to engage a relative unknown, David Kidd, to design your first course at Bandon Dunes? What course or courses designed by Kidd did you experience before hiring him, and what attributes of those courses most influenced your decision?"

This was obviously a leap of faith for Keiser, a very perceptive decision as the course turned out to be a true challenge and good enough to attract a lot of golfers to visit a site which could be described as one of my kids once described a remote destination, "BFE."  The addition of Tom Doak's Pacific Dunes was a relative no brainer when compared to the decision to hire David Kidd to start the complex.  

Keiser is a gambler, a risk taker, a roller of the dice!

ed_getka

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2005, 10:34:54 PM »
I would ask what the future plans are for green fees at the Bandon complex? I would hope he isn't going to let Bandon get to Pebble or Pinehurst #2 levels, where many golfers will get priced out of seeing some of the great courses of the modern era. Is Mike determining that at this point, or has he turned it over completely to a management team?
   Who originally made the decision to give a discount on second rounds? That was a GREAT idea.
    Did Mike have a backup plan if Kidd's design didn't work out? It all seems like success was a forgone conclusion in hindsight, but did it seem like that when Mike was getting Bandon Dunes started?

"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2005, 11:02:47 PM »
Why do greeting cards cost so much.. ;D

Sorry could not resist

I would ask him about the nature of the management agreement with Troon Golf.  Not $ and cents but rather how much input the ownership has into how the resort is operated, marketed and how the courses are developed (built/designed).

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2005, 11:17:20 PM »

Mike,

I thought Kemper Sports was the mgmt company for Bandon Dunes, has that changed?

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2005, 11:34:16 PM »
Correct you are, forgot the Chicago connection.  Thanks
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Jason Topp

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2005, 11:43:15 PM »
Presumably there are a lot of great course locations in the middle of nowhere.  How would he evaluate whether such a location is or is not likely to succeed?

Peter Galea

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2005, 12:00:41 AM »
What's the recipe for "Grandma's Meatloaf"?
"chief sherpa"

Doug Siebert

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2005, 12:16:56 AM »
Given that there was a long thread about Bandon and affordability not too long ago, I'm surprised no one is asking it...

How is the greens fee pricing at Bandon determined?  Is it done to cover costs + earn a predetermined return, is it "whatever the market will bear" or is it based on comparison to some courses determined to be in a similar market (if so, the more interesting question is which courses are those?)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2005, 12:38:58 AM »
Would you consider an architect for another course that has a completely different style to the minimalistic approach of Kidd, Doak, and C&C? Someone like Dye, Strantz etc...
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2005, 02:38:43 AM »
"Mr Keiser, given your experince with the evolution of the three courses at Bandon, each by a different architect, whom would you choose to design the second (and any subsequent)courses at Barnbougle Dunes, and why?"

Shane Gurnett

Philip Gawith

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2005, 06:46:48 AM »
Would he consider doing a development outside of the USA? If so, where?

ForkaB

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2005, 07:32:15 AM »
Not to be too macabre, but does he have a plan for Bandon and its courses after he's gone?  Is there some sort of Master Plan/Deed of Trust which will try to preserve what he has created, or will any new owner be able to do whatever he or she wishes, particulalry vis a vis the architecture?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2005, 08:57:23 AM »
Has the success of Bandon changed the way you look at golf?

What has been the effect of the profit motive on golf beginning with the large portfolio corporate owners and managers in the late 1970s and REITs in the 1990s?

Is profit maximization compatible with the long-term health of the sport?

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2005, 09:11:55 AM »
A number of the great owner-architects of the past have found and built their dream course and then spent a lifetime refining it (Crump-PVGC, Fownes-Oakmont, Morse-CypressPoint/PebbleBeach, Jones/Roberts-Augusta, MacDonald-NGLA, Tufts-Pinehurst, etc.).  Mr.Keiser owns some courses that many would only dream of the concept (Dunes Club, Sheep Ranch, Bandon/Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails), and now he seems to be getting involved with courses overseas (Barnbougle, etc.).  What is he still searching for?    
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 09:21:38 AM by Brian_Gracely »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2005, 09:28:08 AM »
My one question: Could you please hire me at Bandon Dunes? :) I will work for golf.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

RJ_Daley

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2005, 10:51:52 AM »
Is there some sort of "battle of the golf course titans" going on behind the scenes between, Keiser, Kohler, Robertson, Trump, Parsinian, et al? ;D  do you guys ever get together for poker? 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2005, 10:57:45 AM »
RJ,

I'm wondering if there isn't a "top that" battle going on between C&C and Doak.  They seem to be following each other around the country (Friar's Head/Sebonac, B.Trails/P.Dunes, Sand Hills/Ballyneal, Cuscowilla/Harmony).  I personally wish that they'd bring it to the NC Sandhills. ;D  

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2005, 11:00:20 AM »
RJ,

I'm wondering if there isn't a "top that" battle going on between C&C and Doak.  They seem to be following each other around the country (Friar's Head/Sebonac, B.Trails/P.Dunes, Sand Hills/Ballyneal, Cuscowilla/Harmony).  I personally wish that they'd bring it to the NC Sandhills. ;D  

Brian - Crenshaw's website said they are working on a project in Pinehurst. Has anyone else heard about this.

George Pazin

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2005, 11:01:30 AM »
Would he consider doing a development outside of the USA? If so, where?

I think Mr. Keiser was involved with the creation of Barnbougle Dunes.

I'd be curious to know what differences he noticed in the approaches of Messrs. Kidd, Doak, Coore & Crenshaw in the design process.

Did he ever consider hiring one of the bigger "name" guys? If not, was it due to design reasons or was it simply the desire to be different.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

RJ_Daley

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2005, 11:07:15 AM »
I'm glad that Mr Keiser hasn't limitted himself to one of these architects like Kohler seems to have done with Pete Dye, so far... The art of golf course design benefits from the 'top that' competition of professional pride.  It is funny though that Coore, Doak, and a few others on the top of the rollodex call list of these visionary golf developers all started with ol Pete... ;)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2005, 11:09:10 AM »
Mr Keiser,

How involved in the decision making on the design of the three courses were you?  Were all design decisions made by your chosen team 100% or were you very hands on in what exactly you wanted for each course or even each hole? If the team was left to just get on with it, was it difficult to stand back?

Brian Phillips
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2005, 11:11:32 AM »
RJ,

Brian - Crenshaw's website said they are working on a project in Pinehurst. Has anyone else heard about this.

Maybe Ran finally found the land for The Carthage Club??  

I've only heard rumors, but nothing too interesting yet.  I haven't heard public/private/resort, and I'm not sure where the land might be.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2005, 11:20:36 AM »
Brian,

I indicated it a little while ago, but the C&C course in Pinehurst has nothing to do with Ran and the Carthage Club dream, and we'll likely have to "meet people" to play there.

JakaB

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2005, 11:24:18 AM »
Brian,

I indicated it a little while ago, but the C&C course in Pinehurst has nothing to do with Ran and the Carthage Club dream, and we'll likely have to "meet people" to play there.

Scott,

What does "meet people" mean....isn't that the case with all private clubs..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back