News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lawrence Largent

Wanumetonomy Golf & CC
« on: March 06, 2005, 09:36:54 PM »
I'm going to be in the area and wondered how good this Raynor course is?  I'm a huge fan of this designs I've not been able to dig alot up on this particular one. If anyone has any info or has played there please share your comments.

Lawrence

ChipOat

Re:Wanumetonomy Golf & CC
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 09:49:18 PM »
Lawrence:

Never heard of it (which only says something about me); where is it?

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 09:58:35 PM »
Providence area,Rhode Island

SPDB

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 10:27:31 PM »
Lawrence - Its only in Providence area in the sense that everything in Rhode Island is [Insert any RI town name here]-area.

Its on Acquidneck Island on the border of Middletown and Portsmouth. From what I understand, the Seth Raynor Society met there not too long ago, and I believe some work may have been done by Silva - don't quote me on either of those two speculative points.

hick

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 10:39:33 PM »
while your in the Newport area you should play Newport National it was 80.00 last fall. You may want to see if you can get on Carnegie  Abbey as well. All three courses are 20 min from each other at a stretch. Billy  Andrade grew up playing  wanumetonomy, its real tough when the wind is up.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 08:41:04 AM »
Played there years ago.  It was used for the qualifying for the Amateur that was held in Newport.  What I remember is the course is short with lots of parallel fairways and a bit repetitive.  Greens tend to be elevated, quick and small.  Overall, I was not overly impressed but again this is from memory of 20 years ago or so...

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 02:20:12 PM »
I had the pleasure to attend that Seth Raynor Society "clam bake".  

The course has enough Raynor left to make it very enjoyable.  I also had the pleasure to play one of the rounds with George Bahto who gave a seminar whilst we played on the work done which alters many of the bunker configurations in their reconstruction techniques (most bunker placements are still in place strategically)  There still remains very interesting green contours and fairway routings and grades.  The theme holes that are generally still intact are slightly less obvious than the Raynor holes of the more pure Raynor courses I have seen like Yeamans Hall and Blue Mound CC.  They managed to totally screw up the Eden however. :'(

I can't say enough for the hospitality the club showed us.  It is really a down to earth and welcoming place that I wouldn't hesitate applying for membership in if I lived around there, because there is the combination of good golf left in Raynor's design, and great atmosphere in the membership that I saw...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back