News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

If you could ask Mike Keiser one question...
« on: February 28, 2005, 06:47:57 PM »
...what would it be?

Mike has graciously agreed to do a Feature Interview with this site. We'll pick the best 18 questions from this thread and submit them to him next week.

Thanks for your help and input.

Cheers,

PThomas

Re:If you could ask Mike Keiser one question...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 06:49:40 PM »
I'd ask Mike what his future plans are in Bandon and hopefully in other places!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 06:52:55 PM »
Ok, here's the question but I know you won't ask it and even if you do I know he won't answer it but here it is anyway.

"What will you sell the whole place for?"

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 07:17:19 PM »
Would you consider an extremely unknown designer for any future work?  (me -- I'd love to help)
Cheers

I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on the architect selection process.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 07:33:04 PM by Mike_Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 07:17:25 PM »
Would you ever consider opening a low cost public facility in a metropolitan area that would provide quality golf for a large audience?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 07:24:59 PM »
Is the Dunes club the best course he has built?  What did he learn from building the Dunes Club?   I know these are 2 questions but the Dunes Club seems to have impacted him in many ways.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 07:26:00 PM »
Can he compare his motivations in his business (recycled paper products into greeting cards and stationary products) to his asperations as a developer of golf facilities.  By that I mean, does he feel he is compelled to continue to grow his golf empire in the same manner one might feel that the business must grow to survive?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 07:38:15 PM »
From a development viewpoint ..

What would he do different if he were to do it over?

Michael Dugger

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 07:41:02 PM »
I'd ask,

"How is it that such a fine piece of land as that of Bandon Dunes Resort was not snatched up by some other developer sooner?  Does he ever feel like it was divine intervention that he was able to obtain the lease on it?

And then, "How is it everything he touches turns to gold?"
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

peter_p

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 07:41:13 PM »
I'd ask about the art of collaboration between owner and architect. Why has he been so successful?

JNC Lyon

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 07:42:10 PM »
What environmental issues were faced with sites, and how did they help or hinder the construction of each course?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 07:45:33 PM »
Why has the Bandon Model (fly in, traditional golf, no carts, stay on site, multiple courses) not been copied in overbuilt markets such a Myrtle Beach or Orlando, where the developer could stand out?

Bandon has been viewed by some GCAers (Sir Rich) of being sterile in comparison to U.K. and Ireland clubs. Has there ever been any thought of creating a European model where one (or more courses) have a membership with priorities over non-members - call it the St Andrews model.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 07:45:45 PM »
Mike,

What is your personal list of priorities when selecting a site to develop a new course?

Joe.

p.s Follow up question: When do I start? ;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 07:49:27 PM »
What's his favorite Chicagoland G.C? And Why?

Would he ever hire one of those other mainstream designers, to do a future project?

If he had the opportunity to build, back in the golden age, who would he have chosen as Archie, and why?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 07:56:06 PM »
You said 1. I can't stop at 1.

1. What is your favorite course at Bandon?

2. Which is your favorite hole at each of the Bandon courses?

3. Would you ever consider adding any of these to the Bandon complex: a world-class par-3 course; a less-than-"championship"-difficulty course; a women's-and-children's course?

4. Where in the world will the next "Bandon" be?

(I like Adam Clayman's last question a lot, too. And Mike McGuire's.)
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2005, 08:02:06 PM »
"In your wildest dreams, did you ever imagine the Bandon development would be as successful as it has been so far?"

Brent Hutto

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2005, 08:16:43 PM »
Today Bandon has three well-regarded courses and a thriving resort operation. It is sui generis as a destination for core golfers and its own brand with world-wide recognition. How is your vision for Bandon different in 2005 than the vision you were following when you first broke ground for Bandon Dunes?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2005, 08:24:06 PM »
I got to hear his vision 3 or 4 years ago. I would ask him in light of the success this project is having todate, what changes if any to his business plan have been made or are being made? Also, whether  yes or no to the above where does he see this project in 10 years?

Gerry B

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2005, 08:26:56 PM »
1) (a)how long did the process take to look at potential sites and finally narrow it down to Bandon (b)did at anytime during the due diligence process did the remote location of Bandon give you second thoughts or did you always buy into   the philosophy -build it and they will come.

Ken Fry

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2005, 08:36:08 PM »
Are there any changes in the future for The Dunes Club?

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2005, 08:40:37 PM »
Ran, you once wrote:

New Zealand is not an end destination for golfers. This is a sad but true statement. For a country blessed with so many natural wonders - miles of unspoiled coastline, clear blue lakes, snow-capped mountains, rolling valleys - New Zealand deserves better golf courses. The authors would nominate New Zealand as the country with the greatest potential for having truly great courses to be built over the next decade. The land is that good and there is plenty of it.

Obviously Julian Robertson already has a major foothold here, but I would be interested in whether Mike has looked at property here, particularly linksland, perhaps during his December visit.

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2005, 08:45:55 PM »
Can you tell us about your first dreams for building a golf course? Can you tell us about being an armchair architect yourself? What were you not seeing in golf that you wanted to create?

I realize that's not one question - but I guess I'm just trying to get to the part that connects us all - a golf enthusiast, with a dream - yet Mike got to build it... Can connect the dots for us? How did he get from "here" to "there"?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 08:49:37 PM by Adam_Foster_Collins »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2005, 09:16:20 PM »
Ran,

I'd ask him, who will he select as the architect for the 4th golf course, and why ?

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2005, 09:23:06 PM »
Just thank him Ran for being a force against The Dark Side.

J

Mark Brown

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2005, 09:30:32 PM »
In deciding whether or not to go ahead with the project, what were the most important, and final, mental hurdles he had to had to settle in his mind before moving ahead?

Why did he pick Kidd for the first course?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back