News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

guesst

Re:Most exclusive clubs in the world?
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2005, 12:08:11 PM »
Darva: Hasn't this grown tired -- every time someone gets back on topic, yet another person has to write five paragraph note in support of Dave.

Sorry, Robert . . . I can't lay claim to that post.  The Armenian hijacked my computer last night, and of course I am logged in "all the time . . ."  

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2005, 12:24:30 PM »
Exclusive: "Excluding some or most, as from membership or participation."

I once placed an uninvited foot onto the exclusive grounds of the Everglades Club; whereupon, off in the distance, I heard the faint cry, "Release the hounds!"

Joe and Rose Kennedy were deemed unqualified for admittance to the Everglades Club membership and had to join the Palm Beach Country Club instead. This could not have been Joe Kennedy's ideal golf situation.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2005, 06:23:56 PM »
The par three course at Camp David.

Bill Shamleffer

Re: Most exclusive clubs in the world?
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »
Maidstone?
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Daryl David

« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
What I find interesting in this revived thread is how obviously 2005 was such a different climate for clubs than now. Many clubs mentioned in hush tones back then now readily accept guest rounds as well as new members.  Exclusivity is generally not part of the "new" golf economy except for a tiny minority of those entrenched older clubs.  The wannabes mentioned back in 2005 have changed their tune.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2013, 04:37:54 PM »
How about Rolling Rock in PA? The DuPonts had Bidermann and Vicmead Hunt Club. The Mellons had Rolling Rock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Rock_Club
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Josh Stevens

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2013, 07:55:41 PM »
Does seem to be a largely American invention - this concept of exclusivity with memberships so small they could all sit around the same table and more than likely all spring from the same shallow end of the gene pool.

Whatever happened to the notion that a club should be a loud and lively place that is fun to be at?  These funny little places seem a touch sad to me, but I suppose whatever floats your boat.

David Amarnek

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2013, 08:13:21 PM »
The Royal Household Golf Club, adjacent to Windsor Castle.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »
Ellerston.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Scott Warren

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2013, 09:02:13 PM »
Sven,

Ellerston would stumble at the OP's qualifier: If you take away the courses owned by a single individual with no members...

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2013, 09:57:56 PM »
Balmoral?
@Pure_Golf

Steve Salmen

« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2013, 10:29:32 PM »
My favorite is Swinley Forest. How's this for exclusivity: if you propose someone for membership and they do not get in, you lose your membership.

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2013, 10:33:58 PM »
Try Morefar in Ct.

Technically, it's in Brewster NY though a few holes cross the state line.

John Percival

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2013, 11:24:22 PM »
What makes Everglades Club so exclusive? They nixed Joseph Kennedy, then did the same to JFK. Why? Their unofficial, first foot in the door rule - must be third generation millionaire.
Worked there in early 80's. Some members were great. Quite a few were dicks. Actually heard someone (a lady, er, woman) say 'little people'  :-X. Fellow worker, Arne, said it best..."this place makes me feel a whole lot better about myself."
Course wasn't much then, but had a reno and looks like it gained some bite. Located just behind Worth on the SW side.
Club does have a cool clubhouse and the hippest ballroom. Called the Orange Grove (I think, been a long time) that has a retractable roof for moonlit parties. A'holes don't deserve it.

Paul Jones

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2013, 11:26:01 PM »
Wolf Point
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Jim Nugent

« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2013, 03:54:53 AM »
Think I read that one of the new Chinese courses (Shanquin Bay?) is very exclusive, almost impossible for non-members to get on.  

David_Elvins

« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2013, 07:19:41 AM »
My favorite is Swinley Forest. How's this for exclusivity: if you propose someone for membership and they do not get in, you lose your membership.

The membership is exclusive but the facilities are not.  Almost anyone can play the course if they want to. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2013, 07:24:40 AM »
How about access to the courses inside the UK Royal palace gardens at Balmoral and Windsor. I imagine they'd be pretty exclusive to access. I believe the Sultan of Morocco has, or did have, his own course inside a palace walls.
All the best.

Steve Kline

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2013, 08:03:51 AM »
I have to imagine it is nigh impossible for a Westerner (maybe even non-Japanese) to join some Japanese clubs.

Jim McCann

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »
Thomas

Maybe you’re thinking of the Royal Palace course at Agadir in Morocco?

I was lucky enough to tee it up there during the Tropheé Hassan II pro-am last year:

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=3456

As far as I know, it’s only the King of Morocco’s personal guests who get to play during the other 51 weeks of the year when the
European Tour isn’t on site.

Here’s a snap of the first green, which pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the round:

I played a few rounds in Marrakesh during the same trip but none of the other courses came close to the standard set by this Robert Trent Jones Snr layout.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2013, 09:01:26 AM »
Jim,
This is exactly the course I mean. RTJ Snr. It's always looked a more than distinctly useful track when I've seen the European tour event from there on TV. Well done for getting the invite. Good photo and nice words in your top100 weblink.
All the best.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2013, 12:13:36 PM »
Steve 3/4 years ago Swinley Forest lost 5 members, of the 5 replacements 3 were Lords.

I've a couple of mates who are members of the Royal Household Golf Club. At Windsor they cannot take guests when family members are in residence as the course is within a secure area.
Cave Nil Vino

Rick Sides

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »
I love the use of the word "mates"  We need to incorporate that more in American vernacular.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2018, 04:59:12 PM »
What about the most exclusive "course" in the galaxy? That only one man has ever played?

https://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/feb-6-1971-alan-shepard-plays-golf-moon

Now that we're getting a Space Force, will Trump Intergalactic Jupiter (the planet, not Florida) be #1 on Golfweek's Interstellar Modern (post-1975) List?

JMEvensky

« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2018, 08:23:16 PM »
What about the most exclusive "course" in the galaxy? That only one man has ever played?

https://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/feb-6-1971-alan-shepard-plays-golf-moon

Now that we're getting a Space Force, will Trump Intergalactic Jupiter (the planet, not Florida) be #1 on Golfweek's Interstellar Modern (post-1975) List?

Looks natural and tough but fair.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back