News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Pennard
« on: February 06, 2005, 03:52:50 PM »
Went down to The Gower to play Pennard today.  Lovely weather with virtually no wind.  I expect this is quite unusual for Pennard in February.  It seems everytime I am down there I see Americans!  Last year I came across a chap doing a golf tour on motorcycle.  Most bizarre.  What do people think of the course?  It would seem plenty of you make it down Swansea way.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Matt_Ward

Re:Pennard
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 04:17:47 PM »
Sean:

I played Pennard for the first time in September of 2003 and loved the course.

The short par-4 7th is a dandy. The green complex and the way the bunkers protect the hole is truly remarkable.

Have to wonder what the story is with the par-5 4th -- the back tee is located behind the 3rd green and the way the hole runs its quite awkward with the OB pinching in from the right and the fairway really choking down to no more than a street width.

I also liked the ending stretch of holes. Be curious to know if the club ever plays the uphill par-5 17th as a par-4 hole. Clearly, the abruptness of the fairway ending down the middle can be quite vexing.

Pennard is a gem of a layout and I'm grateful to the treehouse here for recommending it during my time in Wales. In fact -- Pennard is a better overall layout than the main 18 at Celtic Manor.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 05:10:15 PM »
Sean,
Next time I'm over at Cathy & Mike's, I'll make sure that I check it out.

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 06:24:22 PM »
Check out Ran's description -- he captures the essence of Pennard much better than I ever could.

For me, Pennard is absolute joy. I've played many better golf courses, but I don't know if I've ever had more fun than when I played Pennard, June 2003.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 07:40:25 PM »
Today was the first time I tried to look at the course critically.  To my surprise I found that every hole has "something" significant happening.  Either the ground is moving just so to vex an approach ie 4, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14

Or the approach is blind/semi blind ie 1, 2, 6, 7

Or the green is more than subtle to cause a bit of pause ie 7, 8, 9, 16

Or there is a hint of blindness and or lack of definition (which is often worse than blindness) off the tee to lay doubt in one's mind ie  2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 17

Or you just plain get a wonky lie just about anywhere on the course!

The one shotters are all worthy and at least one is great (#11).  

The three shotters are all good, if not lengthy and two are very good (#4 & #10)

There are two great two shotters (#7 & #9) and one very good one (#6).

This only leaves three holes unmentioned.  They are all good or very good (#s 5, 15 & 18)

In short there isn't a truly weak or poor hole on the course (though I do not care for #12 or #17).  It is the rare links course that can say this.

There is scenary in abundance and the weekend green fee is under $75.  

About the only thing the course does not have is updated bunkering.  I think it could use a sprinkling of new bunkers, maybe 12-15.

Matt, I would go several steps further than yourself, I believe Pennard to be the best course in The Principality.  The only other courses I would consider in Pennard's league are Southerndown and Harlech.  Porthcawl is of championship calibre, but much more bland and not really to my liking.   Pennard is strictly holiday golf, but great none the less.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 08:24:36 PM »
Sean:

I love Jim Finegan's lengthy tribute to Pennard in his book on England and Wales.

Pennard is the book's final course featured, and he writes: "I see no reason to back away from an unflinching conclusion: Pennard is a very great course, in my experience one of the twenty greatest in the world."

johnk

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 02:13:02 AM »
Ah, The Mwmblws - what a great little town.

My main memory of Pennard is arriving there and seeing 30 wild ponies mulling about the parking lot...  then watching them gallop up the 10th fairway during the round - that was a fantastic, magical site.

For me, the course was everything that playing a hidden gem is all about - playing with members, making every number from 2 to 8, a crazy reverse wind, getting relief from dung, and amazement at the views...

So yeah, Pennard is special...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 11:18:15 AM »
Sean:

You're a little tough on Porthcawl ... I went back last May and thought it was a terrific course.  If it weren't for those similar uphill par fives it would be a slam dunk for my top 100 in the world.

I've got to think The Confidential Guide has something to do with Americans going to Pennard on a regular basis.  Even Finegan went there because I recommended it to him.  I found out about it from a very obscure source ... Sir Ernest Holderness' list of his 18 favorite holes, published in GOLF ILLUSTRATED the year after he won the Amateur Championship.  He also included holes from St. Enodoc, so he was an excellent scout in my book.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 11:56:51 AM »
Sean,
Porthcrawl reminds me alot of Westward Ho, good golf holes but not at all an attractive venue, so I understand what you mean...I also feel the same way about Hoylake..all 3 of these courses are undoubtably fine golf courses but certainly not high on the eye candy scale...

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 02:45:50 PM »
Sean,
Hunstanton..Woodhall Spa..now you are talking serious golf courses.
Woodhall Spa is without a doubt one of the finest inland courses my beloved homeland has, it is at least in the top 5.

I think we agree on Porthcrawl, I am glad I have played it, but would not rush back to play again...much rather play " up the road" at Burnham and Berrow.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 04:48:45 PM »
Burnham & Berrow must be quite a course, because I found Royal Porthcawl to be quite a challenging but fun test.  One good hole after another, and the sea in view the whole time.  I particularly found it to be a tough driving test with strong fairway bunkering and some daunting carries in the wind.  And that one short par 3 on the back side had some amazingly cavernous bunkers!  I didn't think the finish was too great but that's probably because I 3-putted 17 and drove into the junk on 18 to pull out a loss in my match against my brother!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 05:48:11 PM »
It's quite a business - the great thing is that there are several courses in the south-west of England and another load on the Welsh south coast that warrant attention.  We can argue the toss over the individual merits of each, but the plain fact is that they are pretty good and their differences are those of personal taste.  

I really think that some of you need to experience North Wales, not that it can rival the Lancashire coast with Lytham, Birkdale and Formby, but, at half the price, Aberdovey, Bull Bay, Conwy, North Wales and Porthmadog will give you as much to purr about as Pennard (and what about Tenby - surely that's as enticing?).

I'm happy to introduce any of you as visitors at Conwy - can't do the same elsewhere, but it won't cost a fortune.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 08:18:42 PM »
Let me echo what Mark R has stated concerning Tenby -- one can make a very strong case that the first four holes at Tenby are among the most demanding you can play not only in Wales but in the broader general southwestern area of the UK.

Try hitting the green at the par-4 3rd in anything more than a 10 mph wind. It's even money that hitting the fairway is as demanding as it is to hit the green. ;D

P.S. One last thing on Pennard -- Very few places can match the spirit and genuine warmth you get from all the folks who regularly play this fine course. I enjoyed my time there and second the many fine things others have said about the layout.

Mark_F

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 03:51:55 AM »
Matt,

Did you manage to find the 3rd fairway by yourself, or did the greenkeepeer have to yell frantically that you were facing the wrong way? :)

I'm still positive Tenby is a 17 hole course, since I sure couldn't find the 8th hole anywhere I looked...

A couple of tough par threes, too - 9 and 12.

Almost agree with the difficulty of the first four, except I think Southerndown may sneak ahead, mostly because of the first.  Another one of those too-close-to-the-clubhouse-for-comfort teeshots, straight up the face of the Eiger, through around and over the inquisitve four-legged gallery, and no oxygen tanks greenside.  

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 10:39:57 AM »
Mark F:

It's no joke how narrow the 3rd becomes the deeper you go down the fairway. If you can handle the first four holes at Tenby the probability in shooting a fine score increases many times.

I also tip my hat to the unique contours found at the 3rd green. The approach has to be letter perfect because anything haphazard is simply doomed.

I didn't take advantage of the opportunity to play Southerndown on my first visit to Wales -- maybe next time.

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 01:07:14 PM »
When was at Tenby in 2003, the folks at the club pointed out the dunes at the north end of the course where they hope to build three new holes and replace the three parkland holes. Does anyone know if any progress has been made on that project?

Also on my Wales trip, I was shown the dunes on the sea side of beyond #13 at Pyle and Kenfig. Those dunes are public lands and likely never will be used for golf, but oh my, they evoked strong sighs.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005, 03:15:17 PM »
I am a huge fan of Royal Porthcawl. They are getting a little proud of themselves green fee wise. I deeply regret not playing Pennard when i was so close. Now that I have played Westward Ho, i would trade the time spent there for a round at Pennard. Westward Ho did not touch me the way Prestwick did or other historically significant courses. I enjoyed it but would not go back.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 05:07:35 PM »
Sean I hope it is sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, the ryder cup is in SE England and a trip to wales does not seem to be in the cards this May. I hope to see you there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back