News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

THuckaby2

Re:GCA Carry Bag
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2005, 01:46:02 PM »
John... OK... that does make sense... so then relating this to the golf bags, it means more things CAN "fall through" if the shape is oval... and thus getting sticks in and out is easier?

Hoping for less ignorance...  ;D

TH

George Pazin

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2005, 01:49:31 PM »
"no fear of the cover falling through."

Precisely.

Score one for the math geeks!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2005, 01:56:43 PM »
You do get one for this, George.

But this begs for me to trot out some words to live by I came up with several years ago (although if Rich Goodale sees this I'm sure he'll claim them as his own):

Newton tells us how
Shakespeare tell us why.

Oh, the "how" matters, big time.  Modern society depends on it.

But the "why" delves so much more into the soul... and is so much more interesting... and timeless.

So by my reckoning, the word geeks are always going to be way ahead.

So why do street creators use round manhole covers?  Sure, the simple answer is so that they won't fall through the hole.  The fare more interesting answer would delve into the tragic occurrences of man's inhumanity to man, and the darkness of his soul.

;D ;D

« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 01:59:48 PM by Tom Huckaby »

George Pazin

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2005, 02:14:51 PM »
Without Newton telling us how, Shakespeare would just be sittin' in a tavern, using his poetry to pick up chicks.

Anything to distract folks from the real thinkers....
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

PThomas

« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2005, 02:17:20 PM »
this thread is great, cause now when my wife asks what this newbie is talking to you guys about I can tell her Newton , Shakespeare, etc!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

THuckaby2

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2005, 02:33:08 PM »
Paul, I aim to please.

;D

And George, without Shakespeare there would be no man to begin with.  You need to read Harold Bloom's "Shakespeare:  The Invention of the Human."  Recommended to me by our own Dan Kelly, btw.

Or maybe not.  Numbers geeks don't tend to get any farther in this than I would in an engineering textbook.

;D

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2005, 02:57:04 PM »
Quick question for you carry/moon bag guys: Don't the grips of your clubs get wet when you play early in the morning or in the rain, and you can't find something on which to lean the bag? I went to a stand bag for that very reason -- the grips stay dry unless the club comes out of the bag.

Or do they make cheap waterproof moonbags?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

THuckaby2

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2005, 03:05:44 PM »
Rick:

In morning dew rounds or others in wet conditions, the grips only get wet if you set the bag repeatedly in wet places... you learn quickly NOT to do that, to lean it against trees, benches, etc.  Obviously these bags patently SUCK in the rain though - you also learn quickly not to use them in such rounds - they aren't waterproof, as you have seen.  Either that or you get caught with soaked everything, as I did at Pasatiempo with Brian Gracely and John Krystynak last year...

:'(

You must play a lot in the rain.

;D

George Pazin

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2005, 03:12:56 PM »
And George, without Shakespeare there would be no man to begin with.  You need to read Harold Bloom's "Shakespeare:  The Invention of the Human."  Recommended to me by our own Dan Kelly, btw.

Or maybe not.  Numbers geeks don't tend to get any farther in this than I would in an engineering textbook.

;D

Got it. Started it. Got bored quick.

I am but a primitive math and science geek - your words confuse and frighten me. :)

Rick -

You can always pick up an inexpensive plastic covering bag at any sporting good store.

Most laugh at my "solution" to a light stand bag - I have a children's bag that I bought for about $40. It's very high quality and super light, even with legs. I usually carry 7 or 8 clubs in it, but could probably fit 10 or 12 comfortably.

Most don't notice the difference unless they look closely, though most do notice the paucity of clubs.

THuckaby2

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2005, 03:18:46 PM »
George:

I'm just proud of you for two things:  

1. Your use of the word "paucity" - well done - worthy of the finest word geeks; and

2. Invocation of the wisdom of Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.  Very very well done.

;D

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2005, 03:32:33 PM »
Thanks, Tom and George. I want to go to a light bag, and you've given me some incentive.

Tom, in Minnesota we play in everything. We get a lot of sunshine in the summer, but those are the days you want to play early in the morning to beat the heat and humidty -- and those dewy mornings, more than the rain, drove me to the stand bag.

Well, that and the sleet. :)
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

THuckaby2

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2005, 03:35:38 PM »
Gotcha, Rick.  I kinda figured neither rain nor sleet nor gloom of night would keep you Minnesotans from your appointed rounds.

OK, maybe even you don't play in gloom of night.

;D

So... just figure this tiny moon bag is for good weather, keep the stand bag for use in all other.  Here's hoping you do get to use the moon bag often.

TH
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 03:35:58 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2005, 03:40:30 PM »
2. Invocation of the wisdom of Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.  Very very well done.

yes.  And I counter with the Chewbacca Defense.

THuckaby2

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2005, 03:50:16 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

that most definitely elicited audible yuks.  still is...

;D

Steve Lang

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2005, 08:46:46 PM »
 8)

1. I thought they put tarps on teh greens in Minnesota in late Ocober and didn't take them off till april???

2.  Those trying to go "pure".. why do you care how much the bag weighs.. you're using a caddy arn't ye laddy?

3.  The gca tour bag must be able to hide at least a smaller beverage cooler...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2005, 11:22:46 PM »
Shiv,

You gonna get the tour bag with the radio in it? Or are you going to upgrade to the CD player?

Zack Kelly

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2005, 08:50:10 AM »
Guys I spoke with Ping Yesterday and they said that once I can get artworked emailed to them they can have a better idea of set up costs.  The moon bags cost $35 plus Embroidery, and set up costs, the hoofer cost $99 ++.  The moon bags can only be Embroidered the hoofer can be embroidered or silk screened. I haven't heard back from Titleist.  They have an 8 bag min for each type of bag, so as long as I get 8 people that want each we can do both.  Thanks for all of the responses.
Fairways & Greens
Zack Quinn Kelly

THuckaby2

« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2005, 09:12:07 AM »
Zack - sounds great to me, and many thanks for the legwork.  Put me down for a moonbag, whatever it costs.

TH

George Pazin

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2005, 09:44:47 AM »
Embroidery generally allows for more colors, though not as much detail. Stitch count is crucial for pricing. Most designs end up costing maybe 5-10 bucks for stitching plus 50-100 in setup. Simpler will be cheaper, regardless of whether it's printing or emroidery. It sounds like it might be possible to offer both types of bags, if the minimums for each is attained.

I still think simpler is better, artwork-wise. Something like the masthead is probably out of the question, embroidery-wise - too much detail. I'm surprised they won't print the moon bag - heck, I could print that & I'm a t shirt printer! :)

Re: pricing, I say we throw on an extra $25 or so and remit it to Ran for the site.

THuckaby2

« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2005, 12:06:36 PM »
OK, seriously, isn't this just an exercise in silly conspicuous consumption?  What the hell do I need yet another golf bag for?  I have 5, maybe more.  Personally, unless you really need one or are buying one for your kid or wife or whatever, aren't those inclined to buy yet another golf bag for no good reason better off just sending Ran the dough?

My current moonie bag is wearing out.  I was gonna buy another anyway.  If doing so can help out the site, I'm all for it.

Does that meet your requirements, shivas?

;D

THuckaby2

« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2005, 12:40:18 PM »
Whoa... that's funny.  I never buy more than I immediately need.  Different strokes.

So ok, if you do have lots of bags already, then heck yeah, just donate the cash to Ran.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back