News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Re:GCA Carry Bag
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2005, 11:23:46 AM »
Mike & George,
As Clay says, these guys were on the BBC's Dragon's Den a couple of days ago trying to secure some investment.
I actually do like the idea and think it looks pretty funky, but it would be a complete loss on a wet winter day here in Scotland. It's kinda funny also that they have to sell a 'rain cover ' and a 'travel case' as Extras!!! Or is that 'astute marketing'??

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2005, 11:40:06 AM »
Well now Scott I have never been so insulted.  I guess I know who not to bother if I ever get out that way.

;D ;D ;D

Hey, I know reality.  Anyone traveling to this area to play golf either goes to Pinehurst or plays the better/better-known courses in this area.  Only one GCAer that isn't local has played with me at my club (only 9 holes-it was late), and that was on his way to play Tobacco Road the next day.

How many non-local GCAers have played with you at Santa Teresa?

hick

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2005, 11:45:28 AM »
Great idea Zack. Moon bag Gets my vote.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2005, 11:50:03 AM »
Zack,

Here is a suggestion for a logo. Four flags of countries popular on GCA: US, Canada, Australia and Scotland surrounding the simple Golf Club Atlas (no .com, the 90’s are over). Flags are taken from Ran's home page. I am not an artist, but here is a concept.

PS. Nobody needs to tell me that is not the US flag.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 11:51:17 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2005, 11:54:25 AM »
Speak of the devil in my last post....

Mike,

I don't think Ran would want England omitted (or Ireland).  I believe Ran prefers golf in England as a whole to Scotland or Ireland.  But I like your idea, although how well will it go onto a golf bag? (that applies to all of these, really, unless it's embroidered)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 11:55:26 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

THuckaby2

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2005, 11:55:20 AM »
Well now Scott I have never been so insulted.  I guess I know who not to bother if I ever get out that way.

;D ;D ;D

Hey, I know reality.  Anyone traveling to this area to play golf either goes to Pinehurst or plays the better/better-known courses in this area.  Only one GCAer that isn't local has played with me at my club (only 9 holes-it was late), and that was on his way to play Tobacco Road the next day.

That would be zero.
So OK, I feel less insulted anyway.
But I also have a new quest.

;D ;D ;D

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2005, 11:55:35 AM »
I kind of like Sarge's idea. Maybe the GCA logo at the top with minor modifications would look pretty good!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2005, 11:59:57 AM »

...or the Scottish one :'(

PS Whilst Caddying at Kingsbarns, I heard a doosie(Sp.?)
Some stoopid American (definitely a non-GCAer) stood on the 9th tee and said, 'Do I aim at the SWEDISH flag?"
(There is an ENORMOUS Saltire at the Clubhouse!!!)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2005, 12:01:33 PM »

;D ;D ;D

That would be zero.

Defenso el resto.   ;D

John_Cullum

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2005, 12:02:06 PM »

Not exactly Scotland either.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jason Tetterton

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2005, 12:04:47 PM »
How many different flags would we have if the members of GCA were represented?  That might look nice.

George Pazin

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2005, 12:15:35 PM »
Trying to inject a little reality here -

You cannot go crazy with colors on something like this (generally speaking). It will make a significant difference in the price, and in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Ping or whomever limited folks to one color or maybe two.

Also, as a t shirt printer, I can tell you that the more cluttered a design is, the more the message gets lost.

If people are really interested in tons of colors, I can probably get a bag tag done, and it may be possible to do process color designs on those (but again, at a significant cost difference v. 1 color).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Lang

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2005, 12:47:29 PM »
 8)

You'll find that Titleist doesn't make their bags.. Sun Mountain does and puts their logo on..

Their 2.5 lb bag is simple.. with stand!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 12:55:47 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike Benham

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2005, 12:51:39 PM »

The titleist bag  opening always stays round, and 14 clubs must get into the constant circumference of the opening.

On the moon bag, when you lift it by the strap, all of the clubs fall to the bottom and stretch the opening into a long oval, almost triangular. A club more easily slips right into the long thin slot at the top of the triangle.

John:

Picture a massive light-bulb going on over my previously dim head.

Duh... that makes perfect sense.

Thanks, my friend.  Bear with me, sometimes it does take me awhile.

;D ;D ;D

Huck -

It is well known that the academia world loses sense of the reality of their applications in the real world ... ;)

Don't be so easily fooled by John's argument ... the solid ring bag works just fine and offers the same simple entry, instead of narrow slot at the top of the triangle, the solid ring bag gives a horizontal slot.

The circumference of the bags are the same and don't change ...

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2005, 12:56:11 PM »

Not exactly Scotland either.

Please direct your comments to Ran. RAN is the one who does not have the Scottish flag on the home page, and Jamaica was there for the taking ! :)

THuckaby2

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2005, 12:56:33 PM »
Mike:

Well, as you know, "easily fooled" might as well be my middle name.

And the one weakness of these bags, as you also know, is that while they CAN fit 14 clubs, they are not designed for such, and getting the sticks in and out can be a chore.  Oh, for me it's a necessarily evil overwhelmed by the good - did I mention how light they are? - so I don't care too much... But if this could be improved, well....

I am open for any ideas, and John's description did make sense to me.  But now you have me questioning it. Did I mention what my middle name should be?

;D

John_Cullum

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2005, 12:58:23 PM »
We'll have to try a quick draw type contest.

BTW-Huck hasn't taken a shot at my question about the manhole covers.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 12:59:37 PM by John Cullum »

THuckaby2

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2005, 01:10:18 PM »
John, damn right I haven't, because I don't have the faintest clue and I'm assuming it's the precursor to a good punch line.

;D

John_Cullum

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2005, 01:14:55 PM »
No, its a genuine question, and the answer somewhat relates to my explanation.

Paving contractors not allowed to answer.

George Pazin

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2005, 01:15:54 PM »
Huck -

Think geometry and support. And, most importantly, square pegs and square holes. :)

My vote is for the moon bag as well - what GCA purist carries 14 clubs? :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 01:17:04 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Andy Levett

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2005, 01:17:03 PM »
RAN is the one who does not have the Scottish flag on the home page

Yes, he does. Second from right.  ;)
Not sure why the Irish flag is missing though.

THuckaby2

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2005, 01:19:23 PM »
I use the Titelist version of the moonbag, but I am NOT - repeat NOT - a purist and in fact am very proud of that.  So this allows me to carry 14 clubs.  Oh, that and the fact that carrying 7 or 8 got old pretty quickly.

;D

As for the answer to John's question, anything I say here will just further show my ignorance, if that is at all possible.  I honestly have no freakin' clue.  Geometry and support fly right over my head.

Is that ignorant enough for you?

TH

George Pazin

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2005, 01:28:24 PM »
I am not saying this is the reason, but here is my thinking: circles have a constant diameter. No matter how you flip that thing around, you cannot twist  or tilt it in a way to get through a smaller circle. The same can't be said about squares, rectangles, ovals, etc. So no fear of the cover falling through.

THuckaby2

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2005, 01:33:10 PM »
I am not saying this is the reason, but here is my thinking: circles have a constant diameter. No matter how you flip that thing around, you cannot twist  or tilt it in a way to get through a smaller circle. The same can't be said about squares, rectangles, ovals, etc. So no fear of the cover falling through.

Works for me.
But I just might have damned you to my level of ignorance.

;D

John_Cullum

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2005, 01:44:12 PM »
"no fear of the cover falling through."

Precisely.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back