News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

I'm sure there's quite a few of you (at least in the U.S.) in the corporate world who haven't seen these "motivational" pictures hanging somewhere or sitting on someone's desk.  Unfortunately, I can't find the older versions of these, with other golf hole pics, but can anyone names these holes/courses?

"Life is a journey... taken one shot at a time."

"Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart... pursue those."

This last one looks just like where Pasatiempo is located (bay below and what appears to be Monterey Peninsula in the distance), but this is not any hole at Pasa.

One of the older ones is hanging in our fitness center, with a very faux-Scottish hole with fake mounding and maroon heather-like tall grass lining the hole, but I couldn't find it online.

"You can't set the course for where you're going until you know where you are."

We will either find a way or make one"  (Myrtle Beach schlock?)

"The achievement of you goal is assured the moment you commit yourself."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."   (obviously Japan somewhere)

"The distance to success is measured by your own drive." (I know this one - Princeville (Prince) holes #13 and #14, although the picture is reversed!)

"Give every challenge your best shot."  

"Our aspirations are our possibilities."

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity, the optmist sees opportunity in every difficulty."
(if you don't know this one....)

"The harder the course, the more rewarding the triumph."

(again, if you don't know this one....)

The ability to overcome obstacles along the way."

"Great accomplishments are performed not by strength but by determination."

(no explanation necessary)

(no exp. necessary)

That's plenty, for now.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 12:58:38 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Successories / Corporate Impressions: What holes/courses are these?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 10:31:04 AM »
Scott

I can't identify those holes/courses but these remind me of one of my major mistakes in not purchasing a poster that I liked when I saw it in a store. It may have been entitled "The Cathedral of Golf" and depicted a hole with something similar to this caption:

"Some go to church, some go to synagogue. I go to the golf course."

I've looked all over the internet and some local golf collectibles stores but haven't come close to finding this poster. I don't think it was a Successories poster.

Does anyone have or seen this poster?

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan Kelly

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 10:37:40 AM »
I'm guessing that that second hole has inspired some Excellent oaths among maintenance staffs.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 11:21:29 AM »
I think the first one is from Orange County, and was caught in the process of slip-sliding into the sea......

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 11:26:42 AM »
For the second one, did it draw inspiration from Forrest Richardson, or vice-versa?

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 12:03:55 PM »
The 17th at Birdsfoot north of Pittsburgh.

Not the same hole, but similar.  They filled in a lot, if not all, of these bunkers before the course opened.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 12:06:42 PM »
That'll be the famous R-Edam hole then...
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 12:07:35 PM »
The 17th at Birdsfoot north of Pittsburgh.

Not the same hole, but similar.  They filled in a lot, if not all, of these bunkers before the course opened.

Thank goodness...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Scott_Burroughs

I've added a ton more motivational holes to the original post above!  Check 'em out!

JohnV

Determination definitely looks like Mt. Hood in the background.  I think it might be the 5th hole at Persimmon in Gresham Oregon.  Persimmon is a Bunny Mason course with a weird routing.  The front  9's pars are 4-5-3-3-5-5-3-4-4 as I recall.  The longest stretch with no par 4s that I've seen.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 01:16:38 PM by John Vander Borght »

THuckaby2

They do like to use Cypress a lot....

Persistence is Arrowhead GC, sorta near Denver.  Ultra-beautiful course but likely a "dumb blonde" in Doak-speak.

Scott_Burroughs

Determination definitely looks like Mt. Hood in the background.  I think it might be the 5th hole at Persimmon in Gresham Oregon.

Whoops.  Figured it to be Mt. Fuji, and but Mt. Hood makes more sense (and I've seen it a number of times!  :P)

Kevin_Reilly

I can't believe they haven't used this hole for one of the "Challenge" type posters:  :D
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

PThomas

yikes?  where is that? it's not Purgatory in IN, is it???
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kevin_Reilly

yikes?  where is that? it's not Purgatory in IN, is it???

Yes it is.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

peter_p

John VB,
The Persimmon shot with Mt Hood in the background is looking backwards on 18. The shot reminded me of my favorite Mt Hood photo, which was a mural on the wall of my mess hall in Ft Dix NJ, for army basic training. Never got homesick.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 02:50:30 PM by Peter Pittock »

Scott_Burroughs

Silly me (and the rest of you too!  ;D).  "Risk" above is an old shot of #17 at Cypress, before the fronting bunkers were put back.

THuckaby2

Silly me (and the rest of you too!  ;D).  "Risk" above is an old shot of #17 at Cypress, before the fronting bunkers were put back.

As the great Lee Corso would say, not so fast, my friend.
 ;D

This one was discussed in here before - you're the best at finding old threads, I'll bet you can find this one as well.  The consensus seemed to be that it is #17 at CPC, but the fronting bunkers were airbrushed out... because there never was a time they didn't exist at some form in front of the green.  Speculation was they did this so as not to have to pay CPC to use the photo.

It's a strange photo, in any case.

TH

peter_p

The 17th photo, an island green with bunker to our right, probably is the 12th at The Pit (NC).

Scott_Burroughs

Ah yes, Huck, I do recall that thread now (I'm not going to look for it!).  Still, no one had named it, unless it was too obvious to name (with a nod to the magical disappearing bunkers).

Peter P.,

Well done!  #12 at The Pit is correct!  It's been 10 years since I played there and I think the bunker has been changed a little (or that's the changed version).  It either is or was two bunkers.

JNC Lyon

11-13 are 16/17 at Cypress Point
14 is 8th at Pebble Beach  
Is 17 the Mermaid Hole, 11th at Aberdeen, Florida (Muirhead)?
18 is 4 at Kananaskis County (Mount Kidd) in Alberta
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 03:55:26 PM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

THuckaby2

Ah yes, Huck, I do recall that thread now (I'm not going to look for it!).  Still, no one had named it, unless it was too obvious to name (with a nod to the magical disappearing bunkers).

Strange pic, huh?
I didn't name it because
a) I haven't tried to name all of these, just picked out the ones I knew for sure; and
b) it fell under my "they sure like to use Cypress a lot."

;D

JNC Lyon

I guess my thoughts about 17 are wrong. Does anyone have a picture of the Mermaid Hole?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Scott_Burroughs

John,

Here is #12 at The Pit in 1999, with 2 (3, in fact) greenside bunkers, instead of one big one:

Tommy_Naccarato

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back