News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Paul Daley's 3rd Feature Interview is posted
« on: January 21, 2003, 12:43:44 PM »
Paul Daley's concept of having 42 people from around the world contribute a chapter to a book on golf course architecture has proven to be a big time winner for several reasons.

First,  there is no overriding theme or message that is being hammered home - i.e. there is no overt bias. Secondly, if you don't agree with a contributor's point of view or find a chosen subject matter of minimal interest, so what? Go to the next chapter and you'll likely find something of great interest. Thirdly, Paul selected people from (seemingly) all points on the globe so there is a wonderful geographic diversity/perspective found from chapter to chapter that is virtually impossible for any one writer to capture.

Of course, if the book was poorly produced, it  would lose much of its luster. Thankfully, Paul has established his own publishing company and in this case, the finished product mirrors the quality of the content.

SelfishIy, I was delighted to contribute a chapter regarding this web site to the book - given the book's worldwide marketing, we can rightfully hope that GCA.com will pick up a few new contributors to the site/discussion group as a direct result of our mention in Paul's book. Thanks Paul!

Also, the tie in between his new book entilted Golf Architecture - A Worldwide Perspective and this web site is impressive with many shared contributors - Doak, Hanse, Moran, Mingay, Whitman, Eckenrode, Klein, Shackelford, Liddy, Brauer, Glenn, Mandell, Crafter, Clayton and others. If you like one (be it the book or the web site), hopefully you'll like the other as they are both about the free exchange of ideas over a  wide variety of subjects within the field of golf architecture.

On a last note, this web site attracts people who have an interest in writing and at the request of several such people, some of the questions center around the process of how an individual turned an idea into a published book. Hope everyone enjoys this, our third, Feature Interview with Paul.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Chris_Clouser

Re: Paul Daley's 3rd Feature Interview is posted
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 01:55:32 PM »
Another great interview that continues to provide a variety of people and ideas for us to discuss.  As with everything else on the site, Ran, the interviews continue to get better each time.  Very good job.

Congrats to Paul as well and the accomplishment of another work of literature.  

And my name was in there also, WOOHOO!!!  

Look Mom, I'm famous!! ;D

Paul Daley

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 10:23:19 PM »
Ran:
Many thanks for your kind introduction. Your probing
interview forced me re-visit many issues, including,  planning, sourcing, writing, editorial and production. When recalling the enthusiasm of the V1 contributors and their quality work, it sure was lot of fun.

Chris:
A shame that resident GCA golf buffs will have to wait until 1 August (volume two) for your treatise on Perry Maxwell. An essay definitely to earmark! Mum will be proud!

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 09:04:26 AM »
Paul,
  I am looking forward to seeing your latest effort.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back