News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Chapman

1986 Masters - Help!!
« on: January 28, 2005, 09:51:43 AM »
So as to stay off of King Huckaby's Putter thread, I am starting my own.

Going through my head last night I could not, for the life of me, come up with who was commentating on 11 and 12. Now, you would think I would know who called Mize's shot the next year or Faldo's win in 1990 but alas I have a brain fart.

So, at 10 we had Bob Murphy whose, "rolling, rolling, rolling" of Ben Crenshaw's putt in 1984 was wonderful, then the mystery man at 11 and 12, Weiskopf at 13 (and the booth), McCord at 14 (by the way doesn't he say something like, "I think that means get down in Spanish" or something), Wright at 15, Nance at 16, Lundquist at 17 and Summeral in the booth at 18.

Who was at 11 and please share any other fun thoughts HERE, not on the KP thread!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 09:52:20 AM by Tony_Chapman »

Scott_Burroughs

Re:1986 Masters - Help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 09:59:24 AM »
I think Peter Oosterhuis might be the one.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 10:05:04 AM »
Really? He has been commentating the Masters for 20 years? Never would have guessed it.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 10:07:02 AM »
I have a tape at home and can check, if no one has a definitive answer, but:

Don't they handle 11/12 from 18?

I don't think Oosterhuis was there yet.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 10:14:31 AM »
Apparently Oostie has been with CBS since only 1997.  I was thinking there was another British guy besides Wright then, but perhaps not.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 10:41:33 AM »
No, they currently do 13 from the 18 booth (Weiskopf in 1986, Lanny today). Today, Bobby Clampitt does 11 and 12. Has anyone said "Loblolly Pines" more in there grown life than Bobby Clampitt??

CHrisB

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 10:42:19 AM »
Tony,
It was Steve Melnyk.

"Is it enough? Is it enough? Yes! Three birdies in a row for Nicklaus--9, 10, 11!"
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 10:59:52 AM by Chris Brauner »

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 10:42:57 AM »
Tony,
It was Steve Melnyk.

Amen. He is absolutely correct!! I knew we would figure this one out. Thanks, Chris!!

That would make the team Murphy, Melnyk, Weiskopf, McCord, Wright, Nance, Lundquist and Venturi and Summerall in the booth.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 10:56:10 AM »
That would make the team Murphy, Melnyk, Weiskopf, McCord, Wright, Nance, Lundquist and Venturi and Summerall in the booth.

It should be obvious by now that I'm not an expert (on much of anything!), but I think Venturi was still at 13 in 1986.

I think he took 13 to the booth with him when he went to 18.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 10:59:08 AM by Dan Kelly »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 10:58:28 AM »
Has anyone said "Loblolly Pines" more in there grown life than Bobby Clampitt??

Hootie probably put a "Lobolly Pines Quota" provision in his contract.

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 11:57:36 AM »
it was Venturi at 13, til he went to 18..

I remember Ken saying that norman" has got to make his move here", that when Greg's second slipped off the back of the green, Kenny saying "I think he can feel the Green jacket slipping away".....which, of course, was wrong at that point since Greg birdied the next 4 holes....

and yes, when Seve hit his second to 14 you could here him saying something in spanish, which is wehn McCord piped in "that must mean get down"...which it did, barely , on the back fringe....

I tell you who maybe should have won was Kite, but he putted like crap...

I remmber him hitting weak lame putts on 10, 14, and 18...he also left an eagle attempt on 15 short..

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 11:58:40 AM »
"Is it enough? Is it enough? Yes! Three birdies in a row for Nicklaus--9, 10, 11!"

Darn you Chris. Goosebumps. Then the famous banging of the spike mark on the 12th green when he made bogey followed by 4, 4, 3, 2, 3, 4. Pretty good stuff.

ForkaB

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 12:52:34 PM »
All you Nicklauphiles are damned lucky that my grandmother died in 1985 and I was playing Spyglass that fateful day in 1986.  Otherwise, our mantra of "criss-cross, criss-cross" every time Jack stood over an important putt would have insured Norman's victory.

As it was, I taped the entire CBS coverage, but due to the result, I haven't looked at the tape, even to this day. :o

THuckaby2

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 01:21:37 PM »
All you Nicklauphiles are damned lucky that my grandmother died in 1985 and I was playing Spyglass that fateful day in 1986.  Otherwise, our mantra of "criss-cross, criss-cross" every time Jack stood over an important putt would have insured Norman's victory.

As it was, I taped the entire CBS coverage, but due to the result, I haven't looked at the tape, even to this day. :o

Now if there's any doubt Rich is the ultimate contrarian, this ought to remove it forever.

Either that or he's just one of those OLD, OLD men - like my Dad for god's sake - who god knows why were so devoted to Palmer as to try and deny the Nicklausian light...  ;D

TH

ps - Rich, it wouldn't have mattered.  My chants of YES YES YES YES during each Nicklaus putt would have cancelled out your criss-cross, and it would have been left to skill.  And we KNOW how that comes out.

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 01:21:57 PM by Tom Huckaby »

ForkaB

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 01:29:51 PM »
Tom

There are many reasons that Jack is known as the Bear and Arnie is the King. It's like the difference between Elvis and Pat Boone.........

....or, if you want to talk about your incresaingly geriatric generation, the difference between The Clash and The Carpenters. :)

THuckaby2

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 02:29:34 PM »
Did my Dad just finally post on here?  Wow, that sure sounded like him.

;D ;D ;D

Sean Leary

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2005, 02:40:55 PM »
I was watching the 1986 highlight show a couple of weeks ago, and I had forgotten that Norman birdied at least 14,15,16, and 17 to tie Nicklaus before the infamous 4 iron off the planet on 18.  Did he birdie 13 as well (it didn't say in the video)?  If he had birdied 18, would that have been the most clutch stretch of golf in history or what?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2005, 02:59:02 PM »
Hey, I like the Carpenters....and Metallica is my all-time favorite band.

Rich,

You're making a point of goodie-two-shoes vs. cool guys?  So cheating on your wife is cool?  (Not just Elvis... 8)), although it probably wasn't as widely known back then for Mr. Let's-Fire-Kessler-Because-How-Dare-He-Ask-Me-Questions-About-The-Illegal-Driver-Issue.   ::)

Regardless of that, some of us are younger than you, and Palmer was past his prime (and thus not in contention and on TV) when we were kids.

ForkaB

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2005, 03:02:38 PM »
I would urge all you guys who have the original tape to watch it again when Nicklaus makes the birdie on 17 and sticks his putter up in the air.  Ignore Nicklaus.  Take a look at the two older gentlemen in the background in the front row behind the green, one leaning on one of those portable butt-holders you stick in the ground.

This is probably in the top 5 most exciting moments in golf history(two of the other 4 having happened on 15 and 16!!), and everybody there knows it, and the entire crowd (excuse me, gallery) is going absolutely bananas like nothing anybody in golf has ever seen, and these two old guys who have probably seen and done everything that can be done in life show no emotion whatsoever, as if it's just "ho, hum, that was nice".  Not even a smile.  Or a frown (if they were pulling for someone else -- as if that was even a possibility -- yeah, right  ::) ).  Nothing.  

It was the most interesting crowd behavior I've ever seen.

shivas

Those two old farts were probably my dear departed grandmother's butt-holder mates from the 30+ years she had season tickets to Augusta.  I suspect they were too old or too proud to go "criss-cross, criss-cross", but not too proud to not act indifferent when it seemed that the evil empire had descended once again onto Magnolia Lane.......

AwsHuckster

Yet again, your Dad is right.

THuckaby2

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005, 03:06:53 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Excellent retort, Rich.

Just remember, my Dad is always right, but right now, he's also always 65 years old.

;D ;D ;D

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005, 03:09:21 PM »
"Evil Empire", Rich?  Jealousy is not a good thing....

Although that's the same thing that originally caused me to not like Watson when he became The Man on Tour as Nicklaus faded.  Now I have real reasons to not like Watson (and I'm not getting into that again).

THuckaby2

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2005, 03:12:59 PM »

Although that's the same thing that originally caused me to not like Watson when he became The Man on Tour as Nicklaus faded.  Now I have real reasons to not like Watson (and I'm not getting into that again).

Muy interesante... but that's exactly why I hated Watson for a long time also.  Now that he's somewhat irrelevant, I find no more reason to hate him.  But during the late 70s/early 80s... oh my... I shouted words far worse than "criss cross" at the screen whilst Watson was putting or slamming chips against pins that likely broke from the force in certain USOpens.

But I'm not bitter, and I don't want to worship false gods like these geriatrics who favor Palmer.  So disregard all of this.

;D ;D ;D

PThomas

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2005, 03:22:19 PM »
Norman did NOt birdie 13 -- his chip went by about 10 feet and he missed

other great moments from the telecast from Ben Wright, who I personally never thought was a great announcer:

after Jack eagles 15 the camera cuts to Watson and Bentley says of Tom "he knows that his old rival has the better of him at the moment"

a few minutes later as Tom is lining ups his eagele putt Ben says "Watson is lurking [a great verb!], ready to confron tan eagle putt of his own which would get him right back in the picture"

what an afternoon that was!

THuckaby2

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2005, 03:53:37 PM »
shivas my man, at the very start of all of this, I posted:

Tom Kite, match that.

And Burroughs took it from there.

But you're right about conversational items during golf.  Has your wife, or another non-golfer, ever asked you what you talk about all day while playing the game?  Kinda hard to explain, huh?  Well I HAVE spent entire rounds on Caddyshack and making songs out of the name of a friend of mine - Paul DeBacker - who's name fits into any song (try it, it's true).  Kinda tough to explain that to the wife.

But your words are true, oh so true....

No need to ask, he's a smooth Paul DeBacker....

I wanna kick his ass all night.... DeBacker every day

If I can't swat him there, I'll swat him, anywhere, it's up to you, Paul De Bah Ker.....

Oh man, now I really have gone off the deep end.

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 03:53:56 PM by Tom Huckaby »

PThomas

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2005, 04:00:39 PM »
one big missing piece from that telecast is the fact that CBS had NO tape of BOTH Seve and Kite holing pitch (not chips) shots on 8 for eagles!!!

you'll recall Jack was lining up his birdie on 9, had to back off, told the gallery "I guess we have to make some noise here" -- and then made it!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back