News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

GolfClubAtlas gathering at Casa de Campo is set
« on: January 12, 2005, 09:56:02 AM »
Who wants to play golf at Casa de Campo? How can great setting + great architect not equal great time???

The question is: when do you want to play there?

Thirty years after first reading/drooling over the description of The Teeth of the Dog in The World Atlas of Golf, I have decided that now is finally the time to act. Ben Dewar has once again organized a very appealing package so let's do it!

The dates are set from Sunday March 27 and departing on Wednesday March 30 with pricing as follows:

Single Golfer staying 3/27-3/30 -
Superior Room - $1573.50
Luxury Room - $1636.50

Single Golfer with non-golfing spouse staying 3/27-3/30 -
Superior Room - $2041.50 per couple
Luxury Room - 2101.50 per couple

Two golfers sharing a room staying 3/27-3/30 -
Superior Room - $1207.50 per person
Luxury Room - 1267.50 per person

What is included:
- two rounds on Teeth of the Dog and one round on Dye Fore
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily in any Resort Restaurant.
- Unlimited drinks in Resort Restaurants, Bars and Lounges. (Bottles and mini bar not included).
- Unlimited Horseback Riding, Tennis and Beach Watersports. Subject to
availability; reservations recommended for sports facilities and equipment.
- One round of 25 shot of Skeet/Trap Shooting (one time, per adult only)
- Welcome tropical punch and music during group arrival.
- Welcome bottle of Dominican Rum in each room.
- Gratuities for maids, bellman, beach and pool attendants.
- Taxes and service charges for included package items.

Golf will consist of one round on Dye Fore and two rounds on Teeth of the Dog as the core trip, spread over Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning. Personally, I look to play 36 on Monday/36 on Tuesday/ and 18 on Wednesday before flying out. Certainly, I'll only be playing hickories!

If you wish to guarantee additional rounds on those three days, you will be charged a $75 surcharge for the second round, however if done the day before (subject to availability) there are no surcharges. For those wishing to play on additional dates, there is a reduced rate on those green fees.

Also, as we are only doing a three day trip, but everyone is welcome to stay as long as they wish, just let Ben know your individual dates and we can extend the same group rate. Ben can be reached at bencd@golfti.com. You won't beat these
rates for this time of year and the courses should be in good nick. To be apart of the GolfClubAtlas.com group, please book through Ben's company Golf TI.

Casa de Campo's spacious guest rooms are located near the lobby and main pool.  All rooms feature one king or two double beds; air-conditioning;large walk-in closet with in-room safe; an armoire with cable television and Bose Wave radio providing 31 satellite channels of commercial-free music;
mini-bar and coffee maker; dressing and vanity area with hair-dryer and bath amenities; iron and ironing board; bathrobes for use during stay;direct-dial, touch-tone telephones with voice-mail and dataport; and private terrace overlooking gardens.

Superior rooms Superior rooms are in one-story clusters, surrounded by colorful flower gardens.  Decorated for a casual, tropical mood, feature mahogany furniture with touches of woven cane and delicate water-color fabrics.

Luxury rooms are in two-story clusters with splendid views of the lush grounds or Pete Dye's championship golf courses. Decorated in stylish Caribbean elegance, with rich mahogany furniture and fine fabrics in soft tones, cozy integrated seating area; glass doors to private terrace with
beautiful views, and louvered mahogany sliding panels for privacy.  Luxury rooms feature two direct-dial telephones, Serta pillow-top comfort; tiled bathroom; marble-topped vanity area, with lighted make-up mirror and luxury
bath amenities package.

Please email Ben at bencd@golfti.com to reserve a spot and please specify whether you want a superior or luxury room (luxury appears to me to be the bargain). My family will not be there, so my hope is to have a game with everybody who comes down.

If you want to be included, we need you to book in the month of January. An informal survey of those who were at the 2004 Banff gathering has yielded 11 golfers plus four non-golfing wives. I hope people will use this as an excuse for a family vacation. We do realize that Sunday, March 27th is Easter Sunday and interestingly enough, the feedback we have had was that made it easier for people to commit.

I hope to apart of group dinners each of the three nights and there is an open invitation to anyone who would like to make a golf architecture related presentation on any subject that is near and dear to their heart.

Hope to see you there. As with past GolfClubAtlas gatherings at Cape Breton Highland and Banff/Jasper Park, The Teeth of the Dog is sure not to disappoint and will live up to its GOLF Magazine World #34 ranking. Early reports on Dye Fore are glowing as well.

Cheers,

Ran

Scott_Burroughs

Re:GolfClubAtlas gathering at Casa de Campo is set
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 11:00:48 AM »
Unlimited drinks in Resort Restaurants, Bars and Lounges.

There are a few guys here who could bankrupt the place with that deal.

Thanks to Ran and Ben for putting this together.

JakaB

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 11:10:09 AM »
Ran,

Will you or any others be playing hickories...

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 11:10:46 AM »
Scott,
Who are these guys, not the same sissies that came to Banff! :)

Are you coming?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 11:15:54 AM »
Sounds like the perfect paradox.... I mean paradise.

Ben, What's airfare?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 11:18:46 AM »
Ben,

I will not be able to attend.  I have an 11-day trip to Hawaii next month.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 12:08:24 PM »
Adam,
Aren't you driving this time?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 12:27:46 PM »
Nuzzy,

I assume you mean driving while there otherwise Adam has a rather interesting drive ahead of him!

Ran/Ben - I know I've been told before but what is the nearest major airport, Santo Domingo?

JC

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 12:50:53 PM »
The nearest airport is La Romana (LRM)

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 01:07:31 PM »
Partner,
I wouldn't put anything past the Clayman....
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Steve Mann

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 01:33:57 PM »
guys,

i can assure you that this is a great deal ran and ben have put together.  i can say you will have a wonderful time in the DR!  i was there the first week in december for the casa de campo scratch pro-am.  the golf courses are fantastic.  if you get a chance, try and play the laromana country club which is the private club for the homeowners at casa.  
the golf courses were in very good condition when i was there.  i played 4 rounds on teeth, 1 round on dye fore and 1 round on the links.  the itinerary that is offered is perfect.  the links is worth skipping.  we had the same type of inclusive package.  the golf director, gilles gagnon and his staff are very accomodating and they will take good care of you!
steve

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 04:09:44 PM »
Adam,

We've been looking and the best we can find is San Diego-L A-Puerto Rico-Dom Rep, for $800. There do not seem to be any direct flights from the US to the Dom. Rep. It's a long juant from the West Coast.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 04:21:08 PM »
With free booze, maybe the turn-out will be large enough, we could rent a ship. ;) Maybe a ferry? then we could all drive!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 04:35:06 PM »
Has anybody found flights at below $950 as yet?

peter_p

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 04:56:07 PM »
American has a direct flight from Miami to La Romana, about $725. Saturday, at least.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2005, 05:29:19 PM »
ah Peter, How does one get from Portland to Miami for zip. I have that problem as well.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 05:31:14 PM »
Use a lot of frequent flier miles?  ???

Steve Lang

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2005, 06:00:20 PM »
 8)

or a banana boat,

I think there should also be a gcatlas gathering in northern michigan this summer..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 06:01:37 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

peter_p

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 06:03:10 PM »
I'm skipping this trip, played there in 1980. New Orleans to Miami should be a lot cheaper than from Oregon. But always choose a flight to LaRomana, over taking a shuttle from Santo Domingo. And use bottled water, skip the fruit, I lost out big time.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2005, 08:00:38 PM »
Seriously, does anyone have charter air experience? How far does 15k get you?

Steve Lang

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 09:20:00 PM »
 8)

about 4-5 hours
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 05:53:54 AM »
Adam - Why charter?  For 15k, you could get a first class ticket to Dom from anywhere!  Hell, I know some small planes you could buy for $15k!

I've chartered both planes and helicoptors for clients.  They are surprisingly cheap in Scotland and Ireland although the distances are much shorter.  I'll bet you could get a nice twin (Cessna 310 or similar) with commercial pilot out of Miami or Lauderdale to Dom and back for less than $15k.

JC

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2005, 03:29:33 PM »
Just a reminder for those booking flights, Wednesday will be a golf day, so take a later flight if possible.

We looked at private air, and because of distance and international fees, it was just too prohibitive.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 03:48:20 PM »
Ben, what are the normal air costs for they are high now at $950 plus from NOLA.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2005, 05:33:29 PM »
John, It appears American owns the market, charging $333 for the 1hr 5 min trip from San Juan to LRM.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back