GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Beaufort Castle Golf and Country Club

<< < (2/4) > >>

David_Tepper:
Brian-

In what newspaper did this article appear?

If this project actually happens and Mark Parsinen's course near the Inverness Airport (Kingsbarns II) comes to pass, the Highlands (Narin to Dornoch), becomes a REAL golf destination. At one point, there was also talk of building a second course at Skibo, but I don't know the status of that since Skibo changed hands.  

I don't imagine the weather in Beauly is materially different than either Inverness, Dornoch or Nairn.

DT

ForkaB:
David

There already is a 2nd course at Skibo.  It's called Monks Walk or something like that.  Parkland.  You can see it on the drive from the Castle to the 1st course.  I haven't played it, but from those who have, it's nothing to write home about.  There is some talk of a 3rd course.....

The article is from today's Scotsman, I think.

David_Tepper:
Rich-

Is the 2nd course you are referring to 9 or 18 holes? How old is it?

I remember reading articles in the local press in 2000/01 about DeSavary wanting to build another course at Skibo and trying to acquire nearby farmland to do so. Ultimately, I do think he got permission to acquire the land and build another course, but I don't think any construction progress was made on the project due to Skibo changing hands.

That is what I was referring to in my prior post.

DT    

ForkaB:
David

The course is 9 holes, fairly short and with a set of par 3 tees too.  It was built by De Savary (Donald Steel).  As for land for new courses, the Skibo estate extends to well over 5,000 acres.  I don't think they need to buy any more land. ;)

David_Tepper:
Rich-

As I recall, it was not a case of DeSavary/Skibo actually purchasing new land, but more a case of land use and getting the right to displace the family that had been farming/crofting this piece of land for multiple generations.

As I am sure you are well aware, that is a sensitive subject in Scotland. Lorne Rubenstein actually briefly mentions the controversy caused by DeSavary's actions in his book on Dornoch, as he was there in the summer of 2000.

I am pretty sure the Monk's Walk course is separate from the second full 18 that DeSavary was planning for Skibo. With him now out of the picture, it may never get built.

DT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version