GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Beaufort Castle Golf and Country Club

<< < (3/4) > >>

ForkaB:
You're probably right, David, about the land.  As for a new course, I think it is far more likely without De Savary around.  He was always playing with other people's money, whilst the new ownership is really and truly loaded.

Brian_Ewen:
WEISKOPF ON COURSE FOR £20M GLOAG GOLF COMPLEX
Ambitious plan for estate
By Magnus Gardham

FORMER Open champion Tom Weiskopf is being lined up to design the course for a proposed £20million Highland golf resort.

Bosses planning the Beaufort Castle Golf and Country Club have turned to him to put the development on the golfing map.

The club would be built on 399 acres of the vast Beaufort Castle estate, in Inverness-shire, owned by Stagecoach bus tycoon Ann Gloag.

The consortium behind the scheme have applied for outline planning permission from Highland Council.

They believe Weiskopf, now one of the world's top golf designers, can repeat the success of his stunning course at Loch Lomond.

Facilities The 6551-yard, par 71 course would be at the heart of the ambitious development, set to rival luxury Skibo Castle in Sutherland.

There would be 82 guest lodges built in woodland around the course. And the complex would also include a hotel with conference facilities.

The scheme would create up to 231 full time jobs and draw millions of pounds into the Highland economy from tourism.

The consortium behind the scheme is led by Ann Gloag and also includes Inverness builder Tulloch and Perthshire property developers King.

The course would be built within sight of her home, the imposing 23-bedroom Beaufort Castle. However, the castle and the rest of the 19,500 acre estate that goes with it will be untouched.

The group hope to start work next autumn, and the course and clubhouse would then open in 2007.

Ann Gloag said: 'We think this can bring visitors from all over the world to the area.

'I have been made very welcome since making my home in this area and I think this development will help put something back into the community.

'I have ensured that the plan includes an area set aside for the future housing expansion of the village of Kiltarlity.

'This will include an element of lower-cost housing, for which there is local need.'

The country club will be members-only but there will be pay-as-you-play access to the course.

Ann Gloag is one Scotland's richest women. She founded Stagecoach with her brother, Brian Souter, in 1980 and the Perth firm are valued at £1.1billion.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=15029372&method=full&siteid=89488&headline=weiskopf-on-course-for--pound-20m-gloag-golf-complex-name_page.html

David_Tepper:
Brian-

Thanks for posting these articles.

Does anyone know if this is the first course Weiskopf will be doing in the UK since Loch Lomond? In light of how well Loch Lomond has been received, it is a little surprising there has not been more work for him in the UK. I wonder if he has been offered work there over the past few years but has turned it down. It would be interesting to see what the site looks like now.

DT  

David_Tepper:
The current issue on the Northern Times website has an article about this project. The article mentions a similar project in the planning stage at Aldourie Castle near Dores, which is south of Inverness near Loch Ness.

Anyone know anything about this one?  

Niall Hay:
Whatever happened here?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version