News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

patrick_burton

Re:Circular Bunkers
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2004, 12:26:01 PM »
Forrest-

I too agree that bunkers (along with greens, tees, and other hazards) all evolve over time -- and that is indeed, the very nature of golf courses.

However, like anything 'built' in the environment, you must start with a solid foundation. While I will say that placement of hazards is paramount (form always follows function) shape and aesthetics cannot be overlooked. I don't think that today's players and architecture critics have the patience to wait for round, boring bunkers to evolve into something more interesting.

In general, rounded bunkers look quite contrived and are uninspiring. Unless revetted or extremely deep -- round, shallow bunkers do not add much interest, and quite frankly give the essence that whomever was in charge of constructing such a bunker -- maybe wasn't trying hard enough.

-Patrick Burton

Forrest Richardson

Re:Circular Bunkers
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2004, 09:58:38 PM »
"...in charge of constructing such a bunker..." —

This is a phase of the modern golf course, preoccupied with construction and trying to re-create. Bad? Not at all. But this discussion is about shape and opinion about circular bunkers. I find it odd we should care that much about shape — round, square, flower-like, oval, coffin, cigar, or Desmond-inspired fish. Well, come to think of it, Desmond's fish may well deserve an entire thread on shape!

Bunkers, in origin, were not usually constructed. They evolved from wear and tear, natural oddities in the land, and the occasional urging of man. Their shape was of no concern, at least not much. What happened, simply happened.

I doubt seriously whether the scholars of St. Andrews sat around drinking and contemplating whether a roundish bunker would look better, let's say, than one with a nose or two. Or whether a circular bunker would be less interesting than one with several lobes.

No. They simply thought it a decent idea to "help" the maddening hole which had developed behind the (now) 4th green by digging it larger or deeper. If there was leftover soil after their assistance, it had to go somewhere and perhaps a wiggle or nose was the result. Or maybe the soil was thrown toward the back, creating a higher bank.

These scholars prioritized: Location, size, depth...and then, perhaps, shape, but probably not much. I will guess that our ancestors of golf architecture never really cared about attempting to outpace nature when it came to aesthetics.

Now...get back to work!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 10:02:04 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back