News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

TEPaul

Re:Welcome to Jim Sullivan our newest member
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2004, 02:02:02 PM »
Dave Schmidt:

I don't like the context you're asking that question of yours in---looks to me like you're just trying to pick an argument. Most good multiple choice questions have a (c) an (d) choice anyway.  ;)

But did you see the way Jim jr answered your first question about some of the meanings of width, angles and options? He basically said those things often can and often should have meaning at the green and green-end, not necessarily at the tee shot at hand! Do you see that? Right away this brilliant young man picked right up on Max Behr's "indirect taxation" vs "direct taxation" philosophy!   :)

Dave Schmidt said;

"How can there be a defense for wayward shots at the green in this modern aerial era where guys can fire even mid and long irons into the sky and still stop them(let alone the wedge-shot approaches that better players have into almost every hole these days)?"

Dave;

Obviously your "Ideal Maintenance Meld" retention span is not that great. The best way to defend against that is to firm up the green surfaces to the extent that pitch marks for one of those shots you just described only lightly dents the green surface and does not pull up any dirt at all. That way if the player hits the ball wide or in the wrong place so that a bunker of a slope or contour, for instance, defends the green from that spot his ball is unlikely to have the kind of control when it hits the green to get close no matter how the hell high he hits it!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 02:13:29 PM by TEPaul »

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2004, 02:05:12 PM »
Jim Jr;

Don't bother answering those questions of those wahoos, it isn't necessary. What did I tell you about this place being like a saloon next to the OK Corral?

The best way to get off to a good start on this website is to embrace at least these concepts;

1. 98% of what Pat Mucci says on here is incorrect.
2. Rich Goodale is a lower school existentialist.
3. Tom MacWood lives in and views the world of golf architecture from an ivory tower somewhere in Ohio.
4. TEPaul resides in the sun-lit uplands of golf course architecture and is the Truth and the Light.

The rest is up to you.

Whoa....good to see that you've given up on that line of hooey about "Big World Theory...."  ;)

JESII

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2004, 02:14:58 PM »
Sorry Tom, again typing slowly.

Dave,

You should know a little (or alot) more about a golf course each time you play it. A course that reveals all of its secrets to you on first blush suffers a little bit in my opinion.

Jim

JESII

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2004, 02:24:58 PM »
Dave,

Do you really think you and I would aim at exactly the same spot from the 13th tee at Augusta. I've never had the priveledge, but I would imagine that pin position (assuming it is known) may well determine whether or not I am even going to consider going after the green in two. With a pin in the back right, near the creek, you have very little chance of getting down in two if you miss the green left of long (or so it appears from my couch) that it would make much more sense to go at that pin from your ideal pitch distance. Therefore, if you are going to lay up anyway, why hit more club than is necessary off the tee?

That hole more than most other par fives gives the player the opportunity to decide before teeing off if they are going to go for (or consider going for) the green with their second, and therefore is very strategic.

Jim

JESII

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2004, 02:29:34 PM »
Do they use the Ideal Maintenence Meld in the Open?

TEP, any chance you can give a brief overview on this?

Dave

If, and I know it's if, you agree that the Ideal Maintenence Meld is the correct way to maintain a golf course then why wouldn't you encourage it.

Jim

p.s. I don't mind a little trial by fire, after all TEP warned.

JESII

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2004, 02:32:15 PM »
Jim -

If you are a member at a public course, a concept that some people on this board have terrible time with, is it correct to refer to that course as your "home course"?

Yes I would think.

Jim

mike_malone

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2004, 02:32:50 PM »
 Mike Cirba

I would not argue with your preference of HVCC over RG. I like the Doak scale where both would come out similarly. I prefer the topographical  variety of RG.
AKA Mayday

ed_getka

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2004, 02:37:14 PM »
Jim,
  Dave doesn't have a perfect pitch distance ;), and getting to the green in two is its own reward :). If Dave ever layed back on #13 it would be a SHOCK!
   Shivas is a much better golfer than me, but I couldn't resist teasing him.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

JESII

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2004, 02:44:50 PM »
If that's the case, why have I never seen an iron brandished on that tee in 25 years of watching the Masters? ;D

90 guys times 4 rounds times 25 years = 9,000 rounds (OK, maybe 6,000 rounds with the cut)...and not a single iron???

You can be sure that if I were there 25 times I would not spend the whole week sitting by the 13th tee ;)
Have you ever seen one of those guys regret hitting their driver? Did any of them ever lay-up after hitting their driver into a good position? If you are asking about how I might play the hole if I were there once, I would try to hit the hardest, highest, slingin' hook ever. But if you are looking for options off the tee other than that shot, I would have to imagine there are plenty.

Jim

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2004, 02:48:36 PM »
Do you use the cheater line when you putt?

Can you ever imagine a reason why you would lay up on #16 at Cypress Point?

Do you think this looks like a good hole?

When you were caddying at PVGC, how often did you have to chase off Tom Paul as he wandered through the woods looking for obscure angles, strategy, options on the course?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 02:55:43 PM by Brian_Gracely »

JESII

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2004, 02:56:53 PM »
Do you use the cheater line when you putt?

Can you ever imagine a reason why you would lay up on #16 at Cypress Point?

When you were caddying at PVGC, how often did you have to chase off Tom Paul as he wandered through the woods looking for obscure angles, strategy, options on the course?

No cheater line here, right smack into the Titleist stamp.

16th at Cypress...Another opportunity thus far missed. Lay up??? Yes, if I played there everyday from now until 2010 and still never got first onto dry land I might consider it.

TEP at PVGC? Interesting question. Unfortunately I did not.

My apologies to all those initiation questions I have overlooked, but at 8 words per minute I can't keep up.

Jim

JESII

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2004, 02:59:39 PM »
Brian,

About the pictures of that hole; I rarely think any hole is a bad hole, but that looks a bit too severe for any high handicapper to play.

Jim

Andy Hughes

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2004, 03:01:23 PM »
Brian, god help me, but that hole looks damn cool  ::)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

TEPaul

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2004, 03:03:06 PM »
Brian:

I don't think the "Big World" theory is in any way a necessity for everyone to endorse, only enough to allow it to happen---all it's supposed to accomplish is just some relief from myopic minds on either end of the spectrum of preferences in architecture that all architecture must be their particular way. Basically, the "Big World" theory relies on the existence of real differences in types and styles and looks and playbabilities in golf architecture! Do you disagree with that?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2004, 03:05:03 PM »
Jim:

I have but one question... in 14 parts....

First, name the movie that's from....

Stick to Caddyshack!  It 27 parts, not 14.  8) ;D

Can you name the name of the band and song played at the dorm party?  What is the name of the lead singer of the band and what's his main profession these days?

"Now that's what I call marine biology!"  (the Longfellow line quoted above is better)

TEPaul

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2004, 03:07:40 PM »
"Do you think this looks like a good hole?"

Brian:

Regarding what I just said about the "Big World" theory and that question you asked about that hole you just posted the photograph of---let me give you my answer to that question of yours about that hole this way;

I'm glad it's there!    ;)

JESII

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2004, 03:10:31 PM »
Scott,

stumped...on Back to School.

Brian,

What do you think of that hole??

Jim

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2004, 03:16:13 PM »
Scott - Oingo Boingo, Dead Man's Party  (no clue on current profession or name)

TEPaul - I completely agree with the Big World theory, but I was surprised that you didn't relay it on as a guiding principle for the site.  In fact, just to show that I subscribe to that theory, I'm giving up my membership at "my home course" for 2005 and only seeking out new courses...including a patch of land for a personal project.

As far as that hole, I think it looks fine as long as the next hole has either a clown's mouth or after your ball goes in the hole and you get a free ticket for your next round.  
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 03:21:42 PM by Brian_Gracely »

JESII

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2004, 03:20:43 PM »
Dave,

Don't know much about metaphysics, but why are we only considering the 90 best players in the world to determine if there are strategic options on a hole.

Jim

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2004, 03:23:20 PM »
Scott - Oingo Boingo, Dead Man's Party  (no clue on current profession or name)

Bingo on the Boingo...

Lead Singer/songwriter of OB is Danny Elfman, who has scored many movies (including Back to School) and TV shows (including current hit Deperate Housewives).

Easier one for Dave:  which midwestern college campus not far from you was much of the movie filmed at?

Real stumper:  the exterior of Diane's (Kellerman) house is the same house (exterior) used in what famous movie?

"Here's you, Georgio,...but what's with the midget?"

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2004, 03:26:50 PM »
Brian;

What course is that?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Jim;

You see what you're dealing with here?  A bunch of cretins..I don't know why I hang around with them.   ;) ;D

Great answers so far!

Andy Hughes

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2004, 03:28:00 PM »
Halloween!!
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2004, 03:29:46 PM »
Mike,

It's Matt Ward favorite Black Rock by Jim Engh.  
http://enghgolf.com/blackrock.htm

Somewhere in the GCA annals there's a 20pager between Moriarty and Ward debating its merits (or not).

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2004, 03:32:45 PM »
Mike,

It's Matt Ward favorite Black Rock by Jim Engh.  
http://enghgolf.com/blackrock.htm

Somewhere in the GCA annals there's a 20pager between Moriarty and Ward debating its merits (or not).

Brian;

Why do I sense Matt has a poster of that hole on his bedroom wall, just below the oversized letters with the course rating and slope.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 03:33:21 PM by Mike_Cirba »

JESII

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2004, 03:34:14 PM »
I'm not sure how much longer I can hold up under this heated interrogation ::) but I am enjoying it so far.  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back