News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jim Johnson

The closing hole
« on: December 19, 2004, 04:08:22 PM »
Okay, earlier I asked what type of hole you liked to see as the opening hole on the course.
Now, what about the 18th? What do you like to see as the closing hole to that enjoyable round that you're just about to put a wrap on?
Should it be a long tough hole, where a par is a good score?
Or should it be more of a gambling type hole, where the chance of making birdie is a very real possibility?
Should it be a long par-5, short par-5, long par-4, short par-4, or a par-3?
Toughest green on the course, or mildly undulating, giving you a chance for that birdie putt?
JJ

Jason Topp

Re:The closing hole
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 04:33:17 PM »
I'm not sure it is the best test to finish a round (or whether that is important) but I really enjoy the short par 4 closing hole on many of the old links courses (TOC, Prestwick, North Berwick) which might be drivable in the right wind and present a great opportunity to make up a shot.  I've always wondered about the thinking behind such holes.  I cannot think of a course in the United States that has such a closing hole.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 04:43:19 PM »
Jason,

The Olympic Club (Lakeside) features an eighteenth that measures 347 yards from the tips. The green tilts quite severly from back to front, much to the chagrin of Payne Stewart!!

Cypress Point's 18th is only 342 yards, however, the drive must be hit to the proper portion of the fairway in order to avoid being blocked out by the numerous trees that tightly guard the fairway.

Personally, I prefer a bit of a breather for the finale. Making birdie (or at least a good attempt at it) on the last hole always leaves a good taste in your mouth.

TK

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 05:12:13 PM »
Tyler - I would distinguish the holes you identify on the grounds that one would be unlikely to try and drive the green (based on what I know about them).  On the old links courses, there seem to be an unusual number of short par 4 finishing holes that nearly entirely lack any significant hazards other than undulations that favor an attack from one side or another.  My guess is that there is a reason for the existence of these types of holes, but I don't know it.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 05:31:51 PM »
Jason,

Oops! I did not read your original post carefully enough. My mistake. I do think holes of the nature you describe would be aided by a solitary penal sand hazard like the seventeenth at the Old Course, located perhaps 30-40 yards short of the green. Just to make sure the brain is used in conjunction with the brawn. Nothing is more irritating than walking away from a driveable two-shotter after taking 5+ strokes.  

TK

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 05:35:25 PM »
I would prefer the closers Jason mentioned, over those that Tyler  did. The 18th at Olympic and Cypress leave you an approach to an elevated green, and are not driveable. Both greens which are pretty tilted back to front (Olympics less so since they overflattened it after the last Open).
   A stout par 4 with an interesting green/surrounds would probably be my choice. Rustic Canyon, Barona Creek, Sand Hills #18 come to mind.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 05:36:06 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 06:11:02 PM »
I thoroughly dislike an 18th hole where one has to hit across water to the green. Girded to the side fine, (a la Pebble Beach) but not like so many Florida courses.

Quite frankly, I cannot think of a better eighteenth hole than that at Riviera.

Mark Brown

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 06:35:21 PM »
I like a short to medium par-five which offers a chance for birde (or eagle) with a risk-reward option but not a penal hole where you can ruin your round -- although who can argue Pebble No. 18. or Pine Valley - a fairly demanding finish but not a round killler - or Harbour Town 18 which has a bail out area for a fairly easy bogey - or Valhalla produed a pretty exciting finish with Tiger, at his best, and Bob May.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 06:46:00 PM »
I also like a short five. In match play it's going to force at least one of the two players to hit driver to win or halve the match. If the first player hits driver and hits it well then second player is pretty much forced to hit the driver. The second shot is also full of gamesmanship.

I want to see the drivers out of the bag to settle the match because for the majority of golfers it's the hardest club to hit under pressure. I realize that most matches don't go 18 but if they do this is the type of hole I want. The short five provides the maximum decisions.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 06:46:50 PM by Bill Gayne »

michael j fay

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 08:09:25 PM »
As an unabashed Ross fan I favor the long uphill par four.

As a low handicapper I would like it to be the 17th stroke hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back