News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Marty Bonnar

Somewhat sad to report on my return from the Iberian Peninsula that many of my worst fears about Southern Spain and ‘the Costas’ were confirmed.

In the interests of keeping your attention - and this Topic within the general confines of the subject matter of this Discussion Group - let’s firstly address the Golf:

So, we arrange a tee-time at Torrequebrada, a 1970s, Pepe Gancido designed former home of the Spanish Open. Sounded good from the bumph we’d read and was the closest to our accom so off we trotted…

First Surprise - The Spanish clearly find it highly amusing to INCREASE the green fees at this time of the year. So from normally being 60 Euros (40 quid/75bucks?) they start off by asking us for 90 Euros a head + 36 for the Cart.

Now, bear in mind here, there were about 8 other cars in the car park and not a soul to be seen on the Golf course!!! No bleeding wonder at these prices! I guess they think this is their high season and that they should charge accordingly (as “no-one wants to play in the heat of a Spanish summer”) EH?

After ridiculous quantities of ‘negotiation’ with the Head Pro who made it appear like he was doing us an incredible favour and that it was normally impossible to change their tariff, he eventually consents to allowing one of us to pay the 9-hole fee (45 Euros) ONLY if we take the Cart. So, 171 Euros (about 130 pounds/250 dollars?) later we zip up to the first tee…

Surprise B - So the condition of the Tee, as Shania might say, didn’t impress me much. Unkempt, overseeded, hacked to bits….
Unfortunately, this set the scene for the rest of the Course. Clearly undergoing winter renovations, there were bare patches, muddy spots, tyre tracks, roped off areas – you get the picture. AND THEY WANT TO CHARGE YOU MORE FOR THIS!!! Luckily, the Greens were in great nick and just about saved the whole experience for me.

The Routing – Set as it is in the foothills just back from the coast, the course wends its merry way through some undulating (HA!) terrain. I’ve NEVER been so scared in a Cart as I was on some of those cross-slopes. You know the ones where if you stop on the slope and the person on the uphill side gets out, you think the Cart might just easily tip over…? The Cart Path even had sodding Speed Bumps!!! The Cart was however, infinitely preferable to carrying or pulling a trolley either of which would have resulted in a) a Divorce, b) a Coronary or c) Both of the above.

So all in all, one or two nicely designed holes in between some utterly ridiculous carries (one downhill Par 4 which has to carry not only a massive patch of shrubbery off the tee, but is then played down a narrow chasm between 100-foot poplars and neighbouring Villas, over a SODDING ROAD, to a tiny landing area ending in a POND!) I was bricking it so badly by this stage that I hit a 5-iron!

As you can gather, my introduction to Spanish golf was less than impressive!

As a footnote, and by way of some redemption for Spain, I had the interesting experience of having one of the worst meals and one of the best meals of my life on the same day.

The worst was in one of those horrid, British-owned pubs at Lunch (The King Bar – which was clearly missing the apostrophe from ‘King!) Awful, rancid fries cooked in years-old Lard and a cheese and onion Toastie  - two slices of bread, sliced cheese and onions, mind you! - which took all of 90 MINUTES to prepare. I did however, have a great laugh here as they had a prominent sign which read: 'Please be Patient - Good Food takes Time to Prepare'. I was in stitches...

The best – Dinner that evening - a stupendous Paella in a proper Spanish Beach-side restaurant with 3 Spanish guitar players, free house Rioja and brilliant service. Magnifico!

Oh well – back to Florida next year!!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Pete Buczkowski

FBD,

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes...but really funny stuff.  I guess there's something to be said for Orlando after all!  ;)  Man would I have loved to see some photos of this course.

Your review reminds me of the Whitten review of Monte Mayor (in Malaga) a couple of years back.  He called it the worst course he's ever played.  :)  Its a really funny read - he says the 17th at Valderamma would be the best hole on that course!  
http://www.golfdigest.com/courses/critic/index.ssf?/courses/critic/montemayor.html

Now that I've heard you & Mike have visited Highlands Reserve, I went out & took photos this past weekend - hoping to post a thread sometime this week.  I play there fairly often since its only 3 mi from my place.  I was going to write it up later tonight, but Huck's dig on my Tar Heels has me reelin' a bit.  Gotta make him sweat it out, since it fulfills his dream of a high CR/low slope course and all.  

Best,
Pete
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 10:51:42 AM by Pete Buczkowski »

Pete Buczkowski

Here is a pic of Monte Mayor from Whitten's review.  FBD - do they resemble Torrequebrada at all?  BTW Whitten gave it a 1.0 on his 1-10 scale.

And another:

Brent Hutto

Sorry for the totally OT observation but...

One reason I really appreciate the International participation on this forum is the chance to learn new lingo. Just from a single FBD post I picked up:

"bumph" (noun)

"sodding" (adjective, though it could also serve as an adverb)

"bricking it" (verb)

not to mention a couple I had already picked up previously, "in great nick" and "tarriff". Reference to the omitted apostrophe on 'King was the icing on the cake.

ForkaB

Martin

I told you to go to Granada and forget the golf.  Listen to Uncle Rhicard next time! ;)

Dan Kelly

one downhill Par 4 which has to carry not only a massive patch of shrubbery off the tee, but is then played down a narrow chasm between 100-foot poplars and neighbouring Villas, over a SODDING ROAD, to a tiny landing area ending in a POND!

Has anyone published a book on "The Worst Golf Holes on Earth"? Someone should -- and should start with that one. What a sodding fine bit of dudgeon it inspired!

P.S. That lunch you describe sounds like ambrosia compared with the first meal I ate in Spain -- in Madrid, on a large outing with a bunch of my wife's fellow-employees. I don't know what the official name of the "dish" was -- but I think of it as Medieval Lamb Shank. Whenever I think of Spain, my first thought is of that terrible, terrible "meat."
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Scott_Burroughs

Brent,

I'd imagine that "bricking it" in his usage is pretty similar to the basketball version of "bricking it" - laying bricks, shooting bricks, i.e. shooting badly/bad contact...

But I've been wrong before....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 01:42:34 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Clay Huestis

Martin,

Sorry to hear about your golf experience on your Spain trip.  I live in Spain (in Barcelona) and I have to say that it is nearly impossible to find good value for money golfwise in this country.  There is a shortage of courses, especially in the major metro areas, and prices are high.  There is a lack of golf culture, so courses get away with horrible conditions, horrible service, terrible course set-up, and general lack of common sense.  Other than that, everything is great  ;D.

The course I am a member of, like most courses in Europe, allows unaccompanied non-member play.  Our current greens fees are 65 euros on weekdays and 150 on weekends (walking).  Is the course any good?  No.  And at this time of year it's in terrible condition, soggy and torn up and with a few renovations going on.  Courses in this country are run for the benefit of the employees, not the customers or members.

Spain has high land costs, generally rocky and severe terrain, and many problems with permitting, environmental constraints, etc.  Therefore the outlook for future golf courses here is rather bleak.

Rich definitely had it right...when in Spain, leave the sticks at home and enjoy the cultural highlights, the paella, and the Rioja.

Marty Bonnar

Pete,
looking forward to seeing HR on this Site. But be prepared for the GCA Party poopers tearing it apart cos it's in FL! One of the things I REALLY like about it are the elevation changes which must be among the biggest in the State?
I forgot my camera the day we went to Torrque but your pictures certainly have some of the same feeling. Just imagine a LOT more Real Estate around...

Brent/Scott,
'bricking it' is indeed a verb, rooted, I believe, in the old Scots phrase - " Shitting a Brick" - generally used to explain great fearful surprise, i.e. "That 1st Tee at TOC is so surrounded by Tourists, that I SHAT A BRICK in fright" (Note the use of the Past Tense also there). Hope that clears it up... :D

Uncle Rihc,
Once again your sage counsel fell on my deaf Scottish ears. Coupled with my preternatural desire to wield the sticks in as many foreign parts as possible, and at La Nancy's insistence, the Golf Clubs simply HAD to be carted from here to there for the - and I use the word advisedly - Pleasure... 8)

Clay,
Why did you not tell me all of this earlier when I asked for Trip advice!!!??? Not to worry, though as we had a jolly time anyhow!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sean_A

Martin

You should have known about Spain previous to going.  Look around at the guys that go to Spain/Portugal.  They don't go for good golf, just sun and cheap wine!

I have only played one course in Spain, PGA Catalunya, about 1.5 hours north of Barcelona.  The course was ok, but top 10 in Europe!  Shocking.  I think I will stick to the cheap wine and sun, leave the sticks in the boot.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Costa Rant - Or 'Why I should have met up with Mike and Pete in Orlando...
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 01:42:22 PM »

Brent/Scott,
'bricking it' is indeed a verb, rooted, I believe, in the old Scots phrase - " Shitting a Brick" - generally used to explain great fearful surprise, i.e. "That 1st Tee at TOC is so surrounded by Tourists, that I SHAT A BRICK in fright" (Note the use of the Past Tense also there). Hope that clears it up... :D

Eh, so I was wrong.  Martin, have you seen the movie "American Pie"?  The nickname "ShitBrick" is given to one of the characters.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 02:08:06 PM »
I'll be sure to tell my wife how all these hours of reading the GCA forum have broadened my cultural understanding.

Next Sunday if I pull a Calcavecchia on the 17th at the Ocean Course I'll know the proper terminology.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 02:39:18 PM »
In regard to the old Scots phrase "shitting a brick":

Our chemistry and physics teacher in high school, way back when, had developed a curious habit over his 42 years at the school: He never announced the dates of his tests.

This caused an understandable anxiety among his students, at the dawn of each class -- especially so in that one's grade for each grading period (seven per year!) would be based *primarily* on one's performance on a single major test.

Did I mention that the dates of those single major tests were never announced? Can you imagine that not every one of us properly prepared ourselves each day?

Mr. Hodgkinson (rest his soul) would begin EVERY class in the same way. He would get up from his desk, at the far end of a long counter. He would walk to the blackboard and erase whatever was there. Then he would seat himself at the center of the counter, on the far side, facing us. He would fold his hands, arch his right eyebrow, and say either "When we left off..." or "There will be a test today." The former statement would lead to a vast and dramatic outpouring of breath from the 15 or so of us; the latter statement would lead us to -- in the phrase we universally adopted for this moment -- "shit a brick."

We even invented a mythical apparatus to measure one's relative anxiety on any given day: the Brickometer (tm). Sample sentence, after class: "My Brickometer was at an all-time high today."

Ah, youth.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back