News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Muratt

The Kingsley Club or Hidden CreeK?
« on: January 27, 2003, 10:07:17 AM »
Both Hidden Creek in NJ and The Kingsley Club in Michigan have opened in the last couple years and are two of the finer new private courses.  They both have a completely different look and feel from each other but which would you prefer to play on a daily basis?  

The terrain if far more undulating and diverse at the Kingsley Club and the style is indeed similar to Crystal Downs.  Coore and Crenshaw have done a great job with Hidden Creek creating extremely diverse holes and a "fun" course to play.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Paul Richards

Re: The Kingsley Club or Hidden CreeK?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 03:08:09 PM »
Jimmy;

The front nine at the Kingsley Club really blew me away.  Haven't seen Hidden Creek yet, though.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 04:13:18 PM »
I haven't seen Kingsley, but based on pictures and conversations with friends who have played it, and put it ahead of Crystal Downs, I plan on jumping on a plane to see it it the next year or two. Hidden Creek is very nice, but the land they had there is just not nearly as dramatic. The course is cut through land that is pretty standard Jersey Shore pine trees, not near the ocean or even the marshland areas of Atlantic City CC. Very nice greens and bunkering, but I would not jump on a plane to see it alone. Nearby, I would choose Twisted Dune over Hidden Creek.

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 05:31:49 PM »
Guest:

Kingsley is very nice, and, as I said above, the front nine blew me away.

However, in no way, shape or form can you "put it ahead of Crystal Downs" as you suggested.

CD is one really-special-place.  There are few better.  And, while Kingsley is good, it's no CD.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 07:11:10 PM »
Paul;

Interesting thoughts, but I wonder if it's so cut and dried?.  I have a good friend who frequents here (perhaps he'll weigh in) who has played both Kingsley and Crystal and prefers the former.  He has seen and played a LOT of golf courses, and I value his opinion (as I do yours).

If nothing else, I'm certainly interested in seeing for myself, hopefully this summer.  :)

Paul Richards

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 07:32:01 PM »
Mike:

They're both definately worth seeing for yourself. ;)

To me, Crystal Downs is probably in my top 10, so that's a tough one to beat!

NAF

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2003, 06:27:45 AM »
I've played them both (KC and Crystal Downs) and I like Mike Cirba alluded to prefer the KC.  CD is spectacular and a wonderful place in golf but I would rather play KC on a daily basis from a playability standpoint.  

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2003, 06:33:02 PM »
Don't have time for a detailed reply this evening -- but since I've played both I go with KC in a major way.

For all the new courses I've played in the last 10-15 years, TKC is one that any true golf lover will fall for in a very big way (just see the pictures that Mike Cirba posted on KC a short time ago from their Website!). In my mind, it makes my personal top 100 without question. I also think that what Noel and guest have said about comparisons with the Downs is not as far fetched as some might think.

Hidden Creek is a fine course and a credit to C&C and to Roger Hansen. It is without doubt among the top 20-25 courses in the Garden State. With that said -- the utter joy in playing TKC goes beyond many courses. Again, I'll say this for the upteeeeeeenth time -- how KC failed to crack the top ten best new for GD is simply amazing and truly unforgiveable. ;)

Tim Weiman

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2003, 06:37:53 PM »
NAF:

Can you expand on your comments about Crystal Downs? Are you saying it is not playable? Is this because of green speeds in recent years? Or is it something else? Also, what holes or greens do you find aren't playable?

Bob Barriger

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2003, 07:27:33 PM »
I played Kingsley Club twice this pasy summer and it is golf in its purest form.  Simple clubhouse,fescue fairways, bent grass greens, extremely nice accomodating pro and owner.  Yardages not marked on sprinkler heads.I also had the opportunity to talk at length with the course superintendent. They encourage walking but do allow carts, albeit without cart paths only a few woodchips in places for cart paths.  The pro at Crystal Downs helped with the layout/design and is probably the reason it has a Crystal Downs feel to it.  If you are lucky enough it play it, get exact directions.  At his point, take a left at the blue barn,  drive till the road ends, go about 2 more miles on a gravel road and look for the wooden plank on the side of the road that says "Kingsley Club".  Worth the trip.

Paul Richards

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2003, 07:47:27 PM »
Bob:

Excellent directions!

It is one tough place to find, but certainly worth the hassle!!

George Freeman

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 05:18:02 PM »
Curious to hear opinions now that I'm assuming many more people have played both courses since the last post on this thread.  I have not played Hidden Creek, but it fits my eye nicely and is a course I would love to see.  You should all know how I feel about KC by now; if not, glace at Tim Bert's photo tour...

There is another good little debate in this thread comparing Crystal Downs to Kingsley Club...I tend to be in the camp that thinks it's a much closer call than some believe.  If one had the ability, IMO it would be hard to beat being able to play those two courses on a regular basis.  Not too many places I'd rather be on a August evening other than at either of them...

Would love to hear input on either!

- George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back