News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Jimmy Muratt

Two Golf novels that I just finished and HIGHLY recommend....
« on: December 10, 2004, 02:43:09 PM »
I just finished the first two golf novels by J. Michael Veron and I must say that I couldn't put them down.  I HIGHLY recommend both of these books.  They really are books that I think anyone on GCA will love as they are focused on golf history and it's classic courses.  Definitely read the "Greatest Player who Never Lived" first as it provides much background info helpful in the second novel.

"The Greatest Player who Never Lived".
The story begins when law student Charley Hunter accepts a summer internship at the Atlanta firm where Bobby Jones was once a partner.  Charley is given the assignment of cataloging Jones' old files.  While doing this, he stumbles on the letters between Jones and a young golfing phenom named Beau Stedman.  Stedman was a caddie at East Lake and became an excellent player who was amassing a very impressive amateur record.  On the verge of greatness, he disappeared under the cloud of a murder charge.  With Jones' help and support, he emerges now and again to play money matches against the greatest players of the era on some of the best courses.  Charley Hunter discovers information that could help clear Stedman's name from the murder allegations and give the attention to his stellar golf record that it deserves.  

"The Greatest Course that Never Was"
Charley Hunter has now accepted a position with the law firm as an Associate.  He starts receiving strange notes from an old caddie at Augusta National.  Charley then finds himself entangled in a mystery surrounding a hidden golf course.  

I don't want to give away too many details but this book really is fun read for those of us into classic golf architecture.  The recent threads on "Lost" courses make this book hit even closer to home.  I found myself immersed in both and could not wait to find out what happened.  

Here is a link to the author's website:  http://www.jmichaelveron.com/home.asp
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 02:55:20 PM by Jimmy Muratt »

THuckaby2

Re:Two Golf novels that I just finished and HIGHLY recommend....
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 02:45:05 PM »
Jimmy - good call, I enjoyed both of those books also.  Living here in the SF Bay Area the second one quite literally hit close to home.   ;D

TH

Andy Doyle

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 12:50:35 PM »
Based upon Jimmy's recommendation, I just finished these two novels, and thoroughly enjoyed them.

In "The Greatest Course That Never Was," the character Francis Moore describes a round with his father at East Lake when he was 11 years old.  What inaccuracy about the course is apparent in the description of the round?

AD

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 12:56:11 PM »
Rees Jones isn't mentioned.... :)

I enjoyed these books as well. In fact, after reading The Greatest Course That Never Was, I came on here and recommended it - and I misspelled Mr. Veron's name (I had it as Vernon)! He came on and corrected it (very politely and tactfully), so maybe he looks in on the site occasionally.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Andy Doyle

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 01:05:52 PM »
I hasten to add that this is not intended to be a criticism of the author or the books.  I was captivated by his creativity and the readability of both books. In fact, my wife is a little peeved (at the author, I'm sure) because of the lack of progress on the holiday honey-do list over the past couple of days.

It must have been a tremendous effort to incorporate all of the historical references accurately.  Of all of the great courses and events mentioned, East Lake is one that I know a little about - reading this particular part is the only thing in either book that made me stop and say "wait, that's not right."

AD

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back