News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Indian Hills(Strong) in Ft. Pierce, FL
« on: November 01, 2004, 08:10:45 PM »
Anyone play here? Comments? It's a short course:

Championship 72 6041 114 68.60
Middle 72 5683 108 67.20
Forward 73 5091 117 69.90

From www.golfcoursenews.com
Golf Course News Magazine » News »

Hurricane damage could delay Indian Hills repairs

By Brandy Swartz
10/29/2004  

Source: The Stuart News/Port St. Lucie News (Stuart, Fla.)

Fort Pierce, Fla. - The sun shone on the dunes of Indian Hills Golf and Country Club on Monday, as workers filled sand traps, laid sod and poured concrete.

Planning a December reopening of the city-owned facility, officials said it's all downhill now -- with heavy damage from hurricanes Frances and Jeanne.

Damage included condemnation of maintenance buildings and cart storage. Storm aftermath work delayed sodding the greens until now.

The Indian Hills main building has been operational since 1941, which qualifies it as an historical site. But its storm damage might cause repairs to take longer to bring the structure up to code, said Mary Beth Birsky, course director. Meanwhile, a temporary clubhouse might be designated, she said.

"It's possible we could have the course playable in eight weeks," Birsky said.

The City Commission recently budgeted $115,000 for Indian Hills' operating expenses. Estimates for insurance and the Federal Emergency Management Agency are not finalized, so approval of an operating budget was needed to keep the project going, officials said.

The driving range and the golf shop are slated to open before Christmas, according to Ted Nagel, PGA head professional. The large bands of netting, which can be seen by passersby on U.S. 1, should be repaired by then as well, he said.

"We're actually laying the sod right now," Nagel said, noting that weather conditions will dictate actual reopening dates and times. He said the course' first nine holes will open in January and the back nine in February.

Well-known English golf course designer Herbert Strong designed the course in 1938. The city purchased it in 2002 and began renovations in May of 2004. The course was originally planned to reopen in October.

New course additions were designed by architect Ward Northrup and feature continuous concrete golf cart paths to allow golfers to step off the cart onto the tee. Short, wooden bridges were added for golfers to ride over retention ponds.

"I think its (cart path) is going to be a much-lauded feature," Nagel said.

"It will be a welcoming public facility. Our intention is that it will be a true municipal facility," Birsky said. The goals were public affordability and low operating costs, she and Nagel agreed.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

ian

Re:Indian Hills(Strong) in Ft. Pierce, FL
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 10:04:43 PM »
Yes, I had seen it before the changes, when they were asking for proposals 2002. I happened to be on vacation at the time, and was between drinks.  ;D

There was nothing that stood out and the course was jammed into a small property. The project was a typical "tip and flip" job common to Florida.

T_MacWood

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 06:55:27 AM »
I don't know much about this course...from what I've read it was a dunesy design. Built in the heart of The Depression hard to say if it was ever outstanding. If I'm not mistaken it was Strong's last design and he retired nearby. He died in Ft. Pierce.

John_Cullum

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 03:55:44 PM »
It was my favorite course to play. I played there often, but sadly it is now NLE. The renovations totally destroyed what was there from what I could see the last time I drove by.

The course had some interesting terrain, being built in the old dunes.

I think Strong's greens were pretty much eroded, but the tenth had an excellent false front. It was very well routed, but I believe it has now been re-routed. I would now refer to this course as a Northup.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 04:31:38 PM »
John -

Fascinating. Do you have any pictures of the old Strong course? It sounds like it shared dunsey features with Strong's Ponte Vedra (Ocean) course built at about the same time.

As you probably know, the Strong course at Ponte Vedra is now semi-NLE.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 04:37:25 PM by BCrosby »

John_Cullum

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 04:40:39 PM »
No
I don't have any pictures. I will try to dig some up from the newspaper or the clubhouse.

It's very interesting that they call that clubhouse an historic site. Its one story, built out of concrete block, painted green.  The ceiling is about 7 feet.

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 05:39:03 PM »
Your distinguished clubhouse reminds me of the East Lake club history that notes there is a little house just off the fourth fairway that "was the first house in Atlanta built of concrete block."

Nice to have that finally cleared that up.

Bob

« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 05:48:53 PM by BCrosby »

John_Cullum

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 05:59:47 PM »
To challenge Ian, I would bet that if you offered architects a topo map of Indian Hills and a topo map of Seminole, Indian Hills would be picked by a large majority.

From what I have seen of Seminole, accessed only by trespassing in the area around the 16th green, it is basically built in a bowl. Indian Hills has more of a dune in the middle and a dune on the east boundary.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 07:03:36 PM »
It looks like the course is being done by Ward Northrup and will be lengthened to 6500y. The are some pics on the course website:

www.cityoffortpierce.com/golf.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

ian

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 09:26:25 PM »
John Cullum,

"To challenge Ian, I would bet that if you offered architects a topo map of Indian Hills and a topo map of Seminole, Indian Hills would be picked by a large majority."

I've gone around Indian Hills (quickly I'll admit) and played Seminole. Seminole's property is a double duneline that is 40 feet on either side, a great property for that area. Indian Hills has some topography, but I'll take Seminole's any day. The dune in the middle on a tight property makes routing a golf course tougher than two dune lines on the outside edge.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 09:28:47 PM by Ian Andrew »

Willie_Dow

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 07:29:04 AM »
John

Is Barry Lezark still the Superintendent down there?  I'm next door in Vero, and would like to meet with you and Barry sometime.

Willie

John_Cullum

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 10:54:32 AM »
I dont know who tends the course these days. Last time I looked, about 6 weeks ago, they were finishing the shaping from what my untrained eye could observe.

It would have been nice to have played the old course if he had about an $800,000 maintenance budget. I expect he only had about 1/4th of that.

I'd like to meet with you in any event.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 09:13:59 PM »
Ian

Sure would like your input on why a dune in the center of a course would be more difficult to route than a couple of dunes east and west, like Seminole.

I have one of Flynn's drawings from Wayne that might be a perfect routing base.  I was thinking of it for Salters Point, but it may fit as a good start for Indian Hills.

Great bunker designs !

Willie

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back