News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Tetterton

Looking for 2nd "Home Course"
« on: November 16, 2004, 02:17:47 PM »
I live in Eastern NC, but I'm interested in finding another, "Home Course".  I was hoping to get some suggestions on specific courses or things that I should be looking for in my new second home.  I've been  considering the CC of NC in Pinehurst or some courses in the low country of SC.  But, I wanted to put this on the board and see what some of you guys had to say on this subject.

Anthony_Nysse

Re:Looking for 2nd "Home Course"
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 02:23:58 PM »
Chechessee Creek Club.....no questions asked
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

JakaB

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 02:38:50 PM »
I don't know what it costs but I met a guy once who told me he was a member of Pinehurst #2.....that to me would be a perfect second course.   You could get a game with people happy to be there and unless corporate hacks...in love with the game and just flat in a good mood....and you could get that game anytime anyday of the week.   btw...I am curious if that membership still exists and how much it would cost...because at the time I thought Pinehurst was the perfect retirement community if not only for the reasons stated above.  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 02:39:38 PM by John B. Kavanaugh »

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 02:44:04 PM »
CCNC has a great deal for out-of-Moore-county residents (something like $100/month), and lots of places you could rent if you wanted to stay for the weekend or longer.  Pretty solid 36 holes down there, although they really aren't courses you'd want to walk very often.

Not sure if the Pinehurst stuff still exists, but you used to be able to buy property around Pinehurst and many of the houses would have a "transferrable" membership for like $5-10k.  And I think the Pinehurst CC membership gets to play courses 1-6, with additional fees for courses 7-8.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 03:44:32 PM »
Yeamans Hall

John_Cullum

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 05:08:26 PM »
If I were a northern guy, and had the means and time to make it worth my while, ideally I would want to be a member at Jupiter Hills. Those Carolina courses are real good, but it gets cold up there. You can't plan a week of golf in January in the Carolinas.

Good weather is almost guaranteed in Jupiter. It's a beautiful place. The amenities are aplenty-good restaraunts, plenty for your wife to do, and probably two dozen flights per day to Palm Beach airport.

You'll have to wait a few years to get in, but you can play somewhere else until you do. I'd try to get on the wait list ASAP.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

rgkeller

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 06:25:07 PM »
Bear's Club in Palm Beach County Florida.

Only $350,000 and you will have an inside track on joining Sebonack for another $650,000.

JWL

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 06:45:13 PM »
Jason
If you are looking for something new in the low country, you might want to give The May River Club at Palmetto Bluffs a close look.
It is new and interesting and I think you might enjoy the course.
It is located on Hwy 46, just west of Bluffton on the May River.
It is part of a 23,000 acre development and is possilby the first of several golf courses to be developed over the next 10 years.

Steve Mann

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 09:10:50 PM »
i believe cary is referring to mr. de savary's cherokee plantation in yemassee, sc.

that is a league i am quite unfamiliar with.  2.5 million for initiation deposit, whoa!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 09:13:08 PM »
Jason,

I'm surprised no one has asked yet, but...what is the type of club you belong to now? Atmosphere? Are you looking for the same qualities, or something different experientially?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 09:21:00 PM »
Steve Mann wrote:

" I believe cary is referring to mr. de savary's cherokee plantation in yemassee, sc.

that is a league i am quite unfamiliar with.  2.5 million for initiation deposit, whoa! "

Mr. Unsavory's excesses are obscene and should be "cryit down."  

ForkaB

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 05:27:25 AM »
Bob

I heard recently that the good ole marketplace has "cryit down" the Cherokee business model.  Not sure what the new one is, however.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 06:21:02 AM »
Cherokee Plantation is over $3 million and has 18 owners, not 18 members, as they like to be called. The course does less than 900 rounds a year.....weird...I've been told that they are looking for a few more owners. When an owenr come and plays, there car is completely detailed and waiting for them after there round.....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 09:08:23 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 07:36:42 AM »
Seriously, The Ritz in Jupiter, Fl has an excellent course.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

ForkaB

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 08:22:29 AM »
Thanks, Anthony

I'll tell my source that he was wrong.

Jason Tetterton

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 08:41:50 AM »
I am looking for a golf club.  Good players.  Not the ritz or the glamour...just golf.  I like old classic courses, but anything that is a challenge.  

John_Cullum

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2004, 10:32:56 AM »
You can join Palmetto for $600.00 a year.

How far do you want to go from home? If traveling a great distance is an option, I'm sticking with Jupiter. It has the added bonus of some of the best light tackle fishing in the world. Plus you can go visit Quassi.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Dave_Miller

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2004, 10:55:46 AM »
CC of NC would be my choice.  Great deal also for out of area resident
Best,
Dave

CHC1948

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2004, 11:09:22 AM »
I believe Pinehurst is now (or very soon) 12.5K to join, if you own property.  CCofNC is a great choice, however, I'd think about when you could be down there.....weekends are very busy sometimes!  

CHC

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back