News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

The Addington course profile is posted...
« on: November 07, 2004, 10:35:26 AM »
...under Architecture Timeline and Courses by Country.

Tom Doak has this course as one of his Gourmet picks and I would too. In fact, I also rank it in the world top 31.

If golf is about avoiding hazards and the more strategically placed and varied the hazards, the more appealing/engaging the course, then I can't fathom why more people don't follow Paul Turner's lead and place this course near the top of their very favourites too. It seemed to me that first time visitors Rick Holland, Wayne Morrison and Jeff Silverman were all blown away by The Addington last month and after looking at the 30 plus photographs in this course profile, you might agree that we all had good cause to be.

Some critics in the past have suggested course conditioning as a weakness of The Addington but a concerted effort in the past several years has the playing surfaces in more than good shape. Indeed, compared to the toxic waste sites that so many inland U.S. courses are becoming with the staggering amount of chemicals being dumped on them, The Addington is far and away closer to being ideally maintained.

The Addington is another compelling reason why golf in England can't be beat! I first played here in 1996 and it is a delight to finally add this course profile to the site.

Cheers,

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:The Addington course profile is posted...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 01:00:52 PM »
Ran,

It's as we said, 'A prophet is not recognised in his own country.'  In this case the 'prophet' is a golf course.  It's true, the British don't generally herald their great architects (and I'd put Aber up there with the rest) or appreciate classic courses.  I've heard some pretty rum things said about St Enodoc and Westward Ho.  Secretly, I'm sure The Addington is happy to remain undiscovered by the masses but quietly appreciated by the cognoscenti - as long as they don't publicise the fact too much.  

Lovely write up - spot on.

Mark.

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 01:25:43 PM »
Ran,

The Addington was a pleasant surprise among many enjoyable days travelling with you guys.  Although Jeff and I had a lot of fun in Wales, your description of Royal St. David's and Aberdovey were right on.  Oh well, live and learn.  Next time I'll follow you everywhere.

I thought I was used to walking hilly courses such as Rolling Green, The Addington was certainly full of elevation changes and all used so very well.

The stretch of holes between 2 and 18 are so very good, it is clearly on my favorite course list.  What a terrific day that was and your photos and commentary bring it all back so vividly.  What was our host's name again?  He was a great guy and I'd like to send him a thank you note.

Best,
Wayne

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 01:46:05 PM »
Wayne,

What were your reservations about Royal St David's and Aberdovey?

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 02:33:38 PM »
Mark,

I was disappointed that the phenomenal dune formations were not really used to their potential at Aberdovey and hardly at all at St. David's except for 2 tees.  It seemed at Harlech that the course was purposely routed along the flattest ground for the entire front nine and much of the back.  It got really good for holes 11-16, especially 13-15.  Aberdovey was better in my mind as it did use the dunes more effectively especially the par 3 12th.  I'm not quite certain what the old #3 looked like there, but I have heard that it was great.  Today's version is good.  The finishing hole was quite good.

It wasn't so much a real disappointment in Wales.  The land is stunningly beautiful and the people were very nice.  Rather than going with Ran and Rick to Alwoodley and Siloth on Solway, I travelled with Jeff to Wales.  I've always wanted to go to Wales and I was not disappointed.  I think the golf may have been better in the north of England.  It certainly would've been easier to get to London in time to catch my flight out of Heathrow from the north rather than the northern coast of Wales.

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 03:16:13 AM »
Wayne, this is the Cader hole in Peter Allen's book. Tommy has posted the tee shot before which I assume is behind the camera in this photo Mark Rowlinson?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 04:41:33 AM »
Mark,

The tee shot is pretty well straight over those bunkers.  Here's what it looks like a little more recently:

As I understand it they took away some of the dune that originally made the hole totally blind, necessitating the use of a periscope.  Now you can see a bit of the hole, but it is still semi-blind.  It takes away some of the fun for the regulars but probably speeds up visitor play.

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 05:13:51 AM »
Mark, thanks. Have to admit I prefer the look of the hole in its raw state. Wonder what Darwin would say about them knocking some of the Cader down.

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 05:32:07 AM »
Thanks for the photos and commentaries, gentlemen.  I prefer the rustic look as well.  Was the length of the hole changed as well or just some of the hill taken out?

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 08:36:22 AM »
Ran,

Inland US courses are becoming toxic waste sites?  Please cite the evidence.  Maybe other superintrendents will want to post on a separate thread regarding the trend toward inland US course using so many chemicals they are becoming toxic waste sites.  Please more evidence.  The truth is enlightening and neccesary.  Did Addington's concerted effort involve any chemicals?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 08:37:30 AM by Kelly Blake Moran »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 08:50:06 AM »
Kelly:  Let him have it!

Ran:  You should really be more careful in what you say about chemical use on golf courses, especially "general" comments such as that one.  Comments like those are what get the environmental lobbies and the non-golfing public to demand unnecessary environmental buffers ... such as the closed-loop greens drainage and irrigation system we're having to put in at Sebonack.

Our client in New York agreed to install the system because the costs of being held up for permits run very high once you've paid for real estate like that ... but the truth is we're taking $1 million in precautions that the neighboring courses didn't have to take, and there's no evidence their "failure" has caused any environmental problems.  Worse yet, we might set a precedent for taking unnecessary precautions that will drive up the cost of construction for everyone ... and guess who's going to pay in the end?

I love The Addington but you should really stick to architecture in your comments.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 09:20:34 AM »
On the topic of waste dumps, is anybody familiar with the company that George Kelley runs out of Stephenson Ranch in California.
They are using less chemicals than most, no granules, and claim to reduce the use of pesticides and fungicides almost entirely.

They work on the premise of optimal versus maximum growth and have some high profile courses usinf their system.
High profile such as San Fransisco Golf...Monterey Peninsula..Stock Farms..Pumpkin Ridge..to name a few

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 09:36:28 AM »
I forgot to mention that the gentleman running the business with George, used to be the greenskeeper at Royal Melbourne.

Thei principal approach is a minimalist approach to grass care.
I have played on 7 of the 25 or so courses they currently take care of, and the upkeep on those courses is second to none.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 09:39:19 AM »
Interesting caption under the historic photo of the 12th hole...

"These undulations indicate the possibility of having one day a golf course so moulded that sand bunkers may be dispensed with."
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back