News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Arthur Croome
« on: November 04, 2004, 10:52:13 AM »
All I know of Croome is contained in the relevant entry in Cornish and Whitten.  

I discovered in the minutes of Hartlepool Golf Club of June 1920 that they suggested he 'be appointed to survey and report on the laying out of the extended course at a fee not exceeding 20 guineas.'  

Hartlepool's course had been used as a military camp during WW1 and only an embryonic 9-hole course could be played thereafter.  This was the first attempt to get back to an 18-hole layout.  

Presumably Croome was now working in the partneship of Fowler, Abercromby, Simpson and Croome.  He's normally credited with designing only one course, Liphook.  Does anyone know if he did more design than he's credited with?

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Arthur Croome
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 10:57:50 AM »
And if he only designed one course, I'd be interested to know how Croome made money?

Or was he just a rich guy who did nothing?

Curious too,
jeffmingay.com

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Arthur Croome
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 11:04:43 AM »
Jeff,  

Accoring to C & W, after Cambridge (he won't have been poor) he was a housemaster, teacher and athletic coach at Radley, one of the top public schools.  He supplemented his income by writing about sports.  He then became a full time journalist, writing about cricket for The Times and also writing a golf column.  Through that he met Abercromby and worked with him on the design of some courses.  After WW1 he became a partner in the firm with Aber, Fowler and Simpson, principally as business manager and publicist.  His health was not good and he died in 1930 at the age of 44.  For the record, Liphook is one of my very favourite heathland courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back