News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

gleneagles (scotland) trip
« on: November 02, 2004, 05:01:13 AM »
i am making my debut at gleneagles this weekend, playing the kings and queens courses. i know very little about them, other than that they are highly regarded, and very much on the corporate trail. so would be interested to hear any thoughts/recollections/tips/memories etc. i have not played much inland golf in scotland - only ladybank, boat of garten and loch lomond - so not that sure what to expect/look out for.

Marty Bonnar

Re:gleneagles (scotland) trip
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 08:24:58 AM »
Philip,
you will have a great time at Gleneagles, providing you take LOTS of cash!

As to the quality of the golf, my personal opinion is that it is splendid. Beautiful surroundings, wildlife, fresh air in abundance....

And yet, it is about Gleneagles where I have my only disagreements with the Good Doctor on ANY Golf Architectural subject. Here's some of the things he has to say about the place...and my interpretations!

"It is more or less common knowlege that over 50,000 pounds has been spent on the course, and of this sum a great deal was clearly expended in destroying the natural features which would have created its strategy and interest".

Drivel. The golf courses all run through the glorious post-glacial mounds and hollows over fantastic turf amongst lovely stands of native birch and pine.

"...the King's Course...it is almost devoid of strategy, interest, excitement and thrills..."

Errant nonsense. It is a splendid track (if a little short nowadays) which will test every bit of golfing skill you possess.

"There are none of the little banks and hollows which make the that make the British seaside links so fascinating"

Utter Bollocks! I don't know which golf course HE was looking at when he decided this gem, but it wasn't Gleneagles!!!

And the Kicker...

"At Gleneagles there are no heated discussions as to the unfairness of the holes, because there is nothing to discuss".

Pompous arrogance at its finest!!!

However, we must temper these comments in the light of the fact that MacK was the FIRST Architect they consulted and then promptly handed the job to Braid. Professional jealousy rather than objective criticism would appear to be the driving force behind these comments, don't you think!!??

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

ForkaB

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 09:22:45 AM »
I'll agree with Martin (and not with the green-eyed Doctor!).

The Kings is a very good golf course, not quite up to the standards of the best links courses, but thoroughly enjoyable.  Very good use of the land by Braid giving lots of variety and (on a clear day) great natural beauty.  It's short these days for the pros, but this weekend you'll not find it so given the dampness of the soil and the heaviness of the atmosphere.  Take at least two more clubs than you think on your approach to the 1st!

The Queens is as pretty, but less memorable as a golf course.

The hotel is world class, but but with a refreshingly human touch.  Expensive, yes, but worth it.  If you can get reservations and don't mind blowing a few hundred quid, eat at Andrew Fairlie's restaurant within the hotel.  Probably the best grub in Scotland.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 11:03:52 AM »
Here's a first, I agree with both Martin and Rich. Gleneagles is a delight, The King's course is the best of the bunch and has a plethora of shot-making choices. To top it off, the hotel provides just the right ambience for a deep emotional experience.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 11:50:59 AM »
thanks gents - i feel suitably titillated! as you say martin, such OTT opinions definitely have the whiff of sour grapes about them. i enjoyed your savage demolition - delivered, of course, more in sorrow than anger! and thanks rich for advice re restaurant - i was slightly tending to avoid the fancy restaurant, partly because of price, partly because i a not that good at food that verges on the avant garde. but happy always to accept a first-hand endorsement and best in scotland is strong praise. i won't ask you to underwrite your advice, other than to the tune of a round at your home course if it proves disappointing! i will try not to forget the extra two clubs on the first!

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 11:58:31 AM »
philip-

FYI, the restaurant critic of The Herald does rate the Andrew Fairlie restaurant at Gleneagles as the #1 restaurant in Scoltand, for whatever those ratings are worth. Bon appetite!

DT

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 12:35:14 PM »
Philip
My one worry would be the amount of rain we have had lately . Both the Kings and Queens can get a bit soggy at this time of year .

Everyone says the Kings is too short nowadays , yet each time I have played it , its been wet , and its one long course with no run .

The Queens is shorter and an absolute delight , and I prefer to play it before the Kings ( Just ) .

If you have time for a third round , then my advice would be to try next doors Auchterarder GC , rather than the Nicklaus Course , which looks totally out of place .

Have Fun .
Brian

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 01:03:23 PM »
Brian Ewan,

The last time we were in Auchterader my wife and I visited one of the finest old fashioned clothing establishments in Scotland. The cashmeres were stunning in quality and color....and at the time the price and currency conversion were favorable to an overseas visitor.

Now, for fifty cents, what is the name of the shop. For the life of me I cannot remember.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 01:24:40 PM »
my wife would be very interested in your jogging your memory bob. come to think of it, i am not averse to a bit of cashmere myself! how far is auchterader from gleneagles?

brian - i come with very modest expectations re the weather. after all, it is the flip side of my modest tariff (by gleneagles standards). the weather will need to be very foul indeed for me to be deterred, although i don't think my wife will need much encouragement to prefer the spa and shopping option. tks advice re round three - maybe next time.

it sounds like to avoid andrew fairlie would be a mistake. i will report back.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 02:31:31 PM »
It's 3.8 miles from the Hotel to the village.  

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 03:05:11 PM »
If you want some real fun instead of the Nicklaus course try Dollar.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 03:28:29 PM »
I also have extemely fond memories of both the Kings and Queens. I second Martin's opinion that what Dr Mac wrote about the Kings was purely a case of professional jealousy. The King's has one of the best collections of par 4's on any golf course. I loved the blind second shot to the 3rd, the exhilarating cape like drive on the 7th, the huge tier in the 10th green (it must be at least 5 feet), Braid's Brawest, the 13th, is one the the great par 4's in the World. And don't forget the driveable 14th with 5 bunkers named Mon., Tues., Wed., Thurs, and Fri. that must be carried in order to reach the green. Enjoy!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

john_stiles

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 06:34:46 PM »
The Kings has a very good start with a wide open first fairway but a 'difficult to judge second shot' to the elevated green. The 2nd is a great driving hole allowing a short pitch...the 3rd has an Alps second shot to a fine green.  

The fifth is the wonderful short hole with pretty steep falloff on three sides.  Hope you have some breeze at the 5th to get the juices up.

The 7th, 8th and 9th are good. The turn shack along the 11th has a wonderful bacon snack and you can watch the pheasants come in the kitchen.

The 11th and 13th thru the 17th are all interesting. The short 14th is just a perfect short driveable par 4, with the bunkers cutting across the ridge.  Many of the golf books seem to feature the 14th in photos of the Kings.

I can recommend the Parsonage (B&B...John and Margaret West) in downtown Auchterader with post office on first floor, two bars and two banks within two putt distance as well as fish & chips, and two other restaurants & grocery store within flip wedge of B&B.

Oddly enough, a good woolen mill in Auchterader is named the Gleneagles Knitwear ...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back