News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pratt

Legendary Golf Clubs of the American East
« on: November 01, 2004, 08:12:23 AM »
I've heard about this book and seen a few pages on Anthony Edgeworth's website. From a golf architecture perspective, is it worth $90? Are there pictures or text that aren't available in Ran's reviews or in other prominent architecture books and magazines?

Thanks!

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Legendary Golf Clubs of the American East
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 08:19:57 AM »
I just skimmed the book recently at a friends office, and asked my wife to get me a copy as a birthday present. It is more about The Clubs, their history, traditions, membership and architecture. Thus, architecture is a piece of the puzzle but not the focus.

Peter Pratt

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 09:06:33 AM »
Thanks, Mike!

Scratch_Nathan

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 11:19:08 AM »
Peter -

Coincidentally, I took a walk through the pages of that book last night while my three year old was watching a Barney video...quite a cultural coupling.

Anyway, I confess I didn't pay for the book, but it is truly spectacular unless you're looking for a book about the courses' architecture.

The clubs and the memberships are the focus and the author/photographer did a really beautiful job.  Definitely recommend.

SN

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 11:26:04 AM »
Peter:

If you want the lowdown on how to mingle with the elite (wine and cheese) types get the book.

The book outlines the blood lines and all the "inside" info on who and what goes on. I mean it's a great conversation piece on who is wearing what Polo and Armani outfits and other pertinent information of this type. ;D

The architecture side in the book is extremely lite and more than likely will not provide you with any more information than you likely know already.

It is beautifully photographed though.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 11:35:19 AM »
Matt:

Does that mean you're not implying that I should buy you that book for Christmas? I always thought you secretly wanted to know everything there is to know about the life and times of the American golfing bluebloods but were too embarrassed to admit it.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 12:22:21 PM »
TEPaul:

I would have hoped the folks responsible for the book would have contacted you for the all important topics as to what knife to use when cutting one's entree and what type of brandy is preferred when all the folks retire.

I mean it's important to get sources familiar with all that arcane minutia. I mean you're "in" from the Main Line all the way to the Palm Beach / Hobe Sound area.

Tom -- I'm simply riff raff. Likely, it would be best if I entered the grounds simply through the "delivery" area if at all. ;D

I'd love to see a future edition with you in a smoking jacket in the den with the English matiff at your feet pontificating about another Paul-ism of utter importance. ;D

Evan_Green

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 01:42:50 PM »
This is a wonderful book and I highly recommend it. Pictures are outstanding and give a fascinating tour through 12 of the great clubs of the East coast. Text is very good as well - a really unique book with content you won't find in your standard golf course photo book.

There is also a sister book for the British Isles which i have yet to purchase, but i am sure it is wonderful as well.

Jfaspen

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 01:57:55 PM »
Curious, what 12 clubs are covered in this book?

Robert Kimball

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 02:07:04 PM »
Curious, what 12 clubs are covered in this book?

Off the top of my head, I can recall:
Seminole, Merion, Oakmont, Pine Valley, Myopia Hunt, Shinnecock, NGLA, Country Club, Ekwanok, Yeaman's Hall . . .  

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 02:18:30 PM »
Besides those previously listed, the other two clubs showcased are Somerset Hills and Newport.

I highly recommend this book.  What makes it a great addition to your collection is that it is different than any other compilation book out there.  There is a thorough history of the beginning of all of the clubs along with their highs and lows.  Getting some behind the scenes info was fascinating to me.  

It doesn't try to be a book that focuses on the architecture of the golf courses.  The authors knew what they wanted to showcase with each club and they did it very well.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 02:40:40 PM »
The picture of the Seminole locker room is reason enough to get the book.  

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 03:23:49 PM »
Matt:

It's funny you should say that because this is the honest to God's truth. About five or so years ago a friend of mine asked me to come over to have lunch and meet this friend of his called Anthony Edgeworth who was doing another golf book, this one called "The Legendary Clubs of the American East". That fellow had already lent me Anthony Edgeworth's first photo book of courses and holes in Europe---and an exceptionally beautiful book it was. For some reason, I figured Anthony Edgeworth had to be some aristocratic English chap with a name like that and all. To my surprise Anthony Edgeworth turned out to be a beautifully dressed, suave but fast talking, sometimes profane ex Marine and ex New York fashion photographer!! My mission and the reason I was asked to lunch was to gain Anthony access to the Fishers Island club for his new book. Well, I thought that would be a piece of cake if I'd ever eaten one seeing as who I know up there. Not at all---there wasn't a thing I could do about it, nor could anyone else I knew. But if I had your contacts at places like that I might've had a chance of pulling it off for poor Anthony!

;)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 03:25:57 PM by TEPaul »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 05:10:41 PM »
TEPaul:

Great story!!! Did they not know they were dealing with the almighty seer Tom Paul -- of Main Line fame and fortune ?

My contacts are greatly exaggerated -- likely if I had one of them show up with their riding outfit on or better yet come with the smoking jacket with seasonal ascot then things might have been different for a visit to Fisher's Island.

Like I said -- I'm in with the riff raff not blue blood royalty. Throw me a bud -- no cognac!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 07:35:31 PM »
TEPaul:

Everytime I see Gilligan's Island I think you would play the role of Thurston Howell perfectly in any 2nd remake. You have the "air" of greatness -- you should have told the brothers at the bar that your shirt and pants -- in fact, the whole clothing line, was monagramed with not only your name but the official club seal !!! ;D

Sean Leary

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2004, 07:37:44 PM »
Does anyone know the difference between the regular edition and the deluxe edition, other than the price difference?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2004, 08:32:33 PM »
TEPaul:

Of course they might have asked you if it would be OK for them to play on Mondays -- when the course is closed.

In that event you'd likely respond that the "royal" clubs you play at are so snooooooooooooty they prefer that no one -- including the members -- plays! ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back