News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Another "maintenance meld" wrinkle
« on: October 22, 2004, 05:01:14 AM »
I've felt for a couple of years now that the "ideal" way to maintain most of these old classic courses is with very firm and fast conditions "through the green" and also fairly fast greens with a firmness to them (a well struck short iron only lightly dents) whereby good players really can't completely rely on their aerial game all day long--which sort of forces them to at least think of alternative approach shots using the ground somehow.

But what about a setup that's really firm and fast "through the green" that allows any player to use the ground game at will but with greens that are fairly fast but very receptive to the aerial shot that basically allows any player to play a reliably controllable aerial shot at will?

The only problem with that, in my opinion, is it doesn't put very much pressure on a good player as more than likely he'd just use aerial shots all day long.

Which do you like better---fast and firm "through the green" with green surfaces that're firm enough whereby the aerial shot isn't that reliable (thereby forcing alternative options) or where green surfaces are receptive (pulls up dirt on a really good aerial shot) whereby a reliable aerial shot is always available as an option?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 05:03:06 AM by TEPaul »

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Another "maintenance meld" wrinkle
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 05:10:14 AM »
It is a Big World out there Tom.............. ;)

Seriously, I like diversity in life and in golf. If every course was set up US Open style every week, it would get boring to watch and to play.

Dan_Lucas

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 09:24:29 AM »
TEPaul,

The first couple of years after construction it is common for the greens, if water is managed right, to be exceptionally firm. The "light dent" is normal. All the grow-ins I've done have been that way for two years at least. After that with the maturation it gets more difficult, but achievable. On all my courses 90% of the players at those courses much preferred the greens after they had matured and a well struck shot would hold. Generally bouncing twice and stopping 10-20 feet past the ball mark. The extra firm of the new greens where the ball bounces 10 feet high after contact and MAKES them use the approaches was only really enjoyed by about 10% of the players.

Before I came to Kingsley I was at a public course maintained the same way and I went to the owner after our second season and asked if he wanted me to soften the greens. We had many loyal players who loved those conditions, but also many complaints from other golfers who thought that it was unfair to land their ball on the green and watch it bounce off the back side. We softened the course by fertilizing a little heavier and allowing a little thatch to develop. The loyal ground game people stayed, though bemoaning the change, the complaints dwindled, and our rounds went up considerably.

I love to play the HARD surfaces, but in most cases Supers are lucky to get away with firm.  

Patrick Hitt

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 09:53:46 AM »
Tom - I believe you have just perfectly described the PGA Tour setup. Firm fairways with dartboards at the end.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back