News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Roaring Fork Club in CO
« on: October 17, 2004, 07:15:21 PM »
Just saw an ad in the latest issue of Nicklaus magazine for the sale of the Nicklaus Family "cabin" at Roaring Fork Club. 3 bedrooms. 3 baths. Fully furnished. Membership included. Price:$1,995,000.00
How's the golf and fly fishing there?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 07:15:57 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

cary lichtenstein

Re:Roaring Fork Club in CO
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 07:22:04 PM »
The golf is good and I hear the fly fishing is too
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

erichunter

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 08:11:40 PM »
The service is over the top.  The course itself is nice.  However they water too much and "lushness" is the name of the game.  I'm not much of a fisherman but received a lesson and it was quite fun.  The cabins are very nice as one would expect with the asking price.    

Brad Swanson

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 08:22:31 PM »
Don't know about the golf, but I can assure you the fishing is great! ;D

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 06:33:26 AM »
The club is a very good one and the argument can be made that the golf takes a back seat to the fishing.

The course, a Nicklaus "signature" has some exceptional holes, some good ones, and several pathetic ones. They have 7 holes on the east side of Hwy 82 and 11 on the west. The  good holes are mostly found on the west side with the exception of #'s 11 & 13...both par 4's that feel very forced into their land. The shame is that #13, a 365yd  "strategic short four" is anything but strategic as Jack ran out of room to give it enough green for even the place "strategically struck" shots.

Eric Hunter is right to call it "lush" and it does receive probably too much water. Part of the reason for such is that in many years, there can be a significant fire hazard unique to that area. The course sits at the foot of the opening of the Roaring Fork Canyon and heat does occasionally build up there in dry years.

The fishing is "world-class" with a solid "gold-medal" section of the Roaring Fork river dissecting the club's property. There are also several heavily stocked (rainbow and brown trout) ponds along the course and cabins that give a novice a better than even money chance of a great catch. The club has a number of very talented instructors available f-t for members and guests to guide them around the fishing on and off the property.

The real estate has appreciated enormously and the heretofore mentioned cabins are indeed beautiful. They have ultra nice suites available for members to use on more of a rentla biz. The club has been a fantastic success from its inception and has a membership comprised predominantly of people from Texas, California and the East Coast all of whom have homes or cabins somewhere in the RF valley (most likely up by Snowmass and Aspen).

Overall, it is a much better club and course than it's up-valley" competition; Maroon Creek, a Fazio that gets very very goat-like very quickly and a club with a much more haughty and obnoxious membership.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 06:34:09 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 10:24:27 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back