News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lloyd_Cole

The Island
« on: October 18, 2004, 10:13:23 PM »
I just got back from a month in the Uk. Too much work of course, but we did visit a few wonderful courses, including western gailes, but none of them, to my mind, could stand next to The Island, outside Dublin.
Obviously, many folk here are familiar with the name, but I wonder how many have seen the course? I see no significant results in my GCA search.
I'm not the best at recalling a course, hole by hole, and I can't be taking my camera out during a match (I lost to a birdie at the last), so have a look at http://www.theislandgolfclub.com/course/all18holes.html.
If I ever get to be the CBM of my day, the 14th will be one of the first holes I try to replicate, and I'd call it 'piece of string', it is the thinnest hole in the world, with OB all down the right!! great fun.
I should also mention that the locals were extremely friendly and there were no silly dress rules in the clubhouse. My bag is now sporting a fluffy blue 'The Island' 3 wood cover.

ed_getka

Re:The Island
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 10:18:27 PM »
I haven't seen it, but remember reading about it in Links magazine, in the past, and it sounded intriguing. What about the course did you like so much? Routing, the land, the greens, etc..?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 10:25:41 PM »
I played there a couple of times---the hole before the narrow par four is a demanding par 3,I think it is called "broadmeadow". I heard they were changing a few holes (11?).

Probably what attracts most to the course is the height of the dunes versus other Dublin area courses like Portmarnock or Royal Dublin.

They brag that they the "best greens in Ireland". Enjoyable way to start or end a trip to Dublin since it is inside 1/2 hour to airport.
AKA Mayday

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 10:43:19 PM »
I'm afraid when I'm playing I find it difficult to put my finger on excatly what was right or wrong about a course. All the more reason to walk the course, take photos, caddy, anything but play if you want to seriously analyse a course.
The routing, my ex-caddy playing partner kept pointing out, was great. The wind was always a factor and was difficult to predict, even when one sees that there are many parallel holes. The relative extent of exposure, hole to hole, is varied and one is thus challenged. So go figure, we were only there one day. The land is (and bear in mind I haven't seen most of the great Irish courses) comparable to Cruden Bay. The Dunes are on a grand scale, and yet there was only one completely blind approach to a green, which was, correctly punch bowl style and gorgeous. The turf was firm, somewhat springy and if you hadn't been to Melbourne or Machrihanish you would be hard pressed to imagine anything better. I'm a big turf man. The green complexes were varied and challenging, no bunkers on several holes, specifically the first 2, as I recall. Nice.
Here's what I came away with. I played quite well, to my 6 handicap expectations. I had great fun, I was asked to move the ball both ways, fly it, bump it, and I was forced to think, on pretty much every shot, if I were to have any chance to score. Not exactly what I got from the Doral.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 01:01:03 AM »
Lloyd,

Interesting that the course starts with 8 straight par 4's. They are obviously good, natural, well routed holes to keep the players interest.

Andrew

BTW, since when is music work.

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 08:43:28 AM »
I believe the start of 8 straight holes is due to a renumbering of the holes.  I think I remember reading that the course was orginally accessed via boat and started with #14, ending with #13.  It was the first course we played in Ireland in 1997 and I really enjoyed it also.  A great way to get your game in shape for the challanges of links golf after arriving.

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 01:30:37 PM »
Lloyd,
  Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a great place to spend a day. Was there anything you didn't care for about the course?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 03:44:24 PM »
The Island is an excellent course, I'll just point out that it's not in the UK...
John Marr(inan)

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 04:26:36 PM »
Jack, quite right. British Isles. My apologies.
Ed, I can't nit pick on a course of that quality. I'm not a great believer in concepts of perfection. If you like to play your driver on all the par 4's then you might get frustrated. But if you do, you're at the wrong web site. Obviously, all 18 holes were not world class, but that doesn't bother me, I don't recall a single hole that didn't charm in one way or another.
The Island is an excellent course, I'll just point out that it's not in the UK...

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 06:15:15 PM »
This was a photo donated by Jeff Lewis from his trip to the Island just over a year ago. I have some more and as soon as I can find them, I'll post them.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 08:00:42 PM »
I played there this summer. Wonderful course! The tallest dunes in Ireland. John is right.Play started on #14 as the members would pay someone to row them over from the mainland. The original clubhouse was on #14.Now the members drive around the bay. Actually the course is on the end of a peninsula and it's an island in name only.Highly recommended!

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 10:33:24 PM »
The 14th as a starting hole??!! That would have been impossible. There is string about 20 feet wide of fairway, OB immediately to the right and dunes to the left. I guess putter was the only safe option.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 12:09:55 AM »
It was the starting hole and is believed to be the narrowest fairway in Ireland.I used a 4wood.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 12:42:49 AM »
I find Island to be a better course than a links favorite on the East coast that is highly ranked in the Golf Mag. World 100.  There are so many great holes. I think 14 rates as a great short par 4--it is driveable, but the penalty for a missed drive is OB or some vicious fescue on the left.  The dunes give the course some cool aesthetics, but I think Port Stewart easily has the tallest dunes with Royal Portrush not much shorter.  I can't wait to play there again on the next visit, it really is so much fun--a Dooks like experience on a much greater layout!

Jack_Marr

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 02:38:54 AM »
The area must have the highest concentration of golf courses in Ireland - The Island, Corballis, Beaverstown, Donabate, Portmarnock, Balcarrick... to name but a few.
John Marr(inan)

Tom Dunne

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 02:05:24 PM »
I am a big fan of The Island after paying my first visit there this summer. For those who might be interested in playing there, I should point out that it's also one of those great clubs that are relatively accessible by public transit--you can take the DART right out of Pearse Station Dublin to the village of Donabate, and from there it's a taxi of only 10 minutes or so. This was a revelation to me--although I visit friends in Dublin quite often, I've never rented a car in Ireland. Point being, the club is a wonderful day's escape from the city.

All that aside, I have to follow the consensus in praising #14, but would also point out that the previous hole, the par-3 13th, is one of the toughest and most beautiful one-shotters I've played. Those two holes really stand out in my memory, and as others have said, it's just a fabulous, isolated dunescape that confers an almost dreamlike feel to a round.

A wonderful place.  

Jack_Marr

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 02:49:03 PM »
It's also a course that Eddie Hackett redesigned in the 1980s. I don't know how many changes he made though.
John Marr(inan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back