News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JohnV

Re:A list that will really have you scratching your heads
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2004, 08:23:49 AM »
Ghost Creek and Heron Lakes-Great Blue both opened in 1992 (or possibly 1991 for HL-GB).  At the time the green fees for HLGB were $20 and for PRGC $50.  Williamette Week's (a long alternative paper with no butts to kiss, unlike the Oregonian) sports writer wrote something along the lines of  "If you get the urge to play Heron Lakes, put the $20 in your sock drawer.  The next time you get the urge to play Heron Lakes, take the $20 you saved, another $20 and borrow $10 from your best friend and go play Ghost Creek." :)  To me that said it all about the two courses.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2004, 12:45:52 PM »
Pronghorn in Redmond will probably show upwhen enough people have seen it.  I haven't made it down yet but everyone I talk to likes it.  

This discussion about Tokatee always surprises me.  The first few holes are simply bad.  The back side is good but even with some tree removal it remains too narrow.  

Where should Wildhorse in Pendleton fit in the list?  How about the Ridge course at Eagle Crest?  

Oh heck let's face it this list is pure horse manure.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2004, 03:24:16 PM »
W.H. Cosgrove,

This discussion about Tokatee always surprises me.  The first few holes are simply bad.

How are they bad ?  What makes them bad, or did you leave out the l and the n ?
[/color]

The back side is good but even with some tree removal it remains too narrow.

Which holes did you find narrow, and which holes with tree removal would remain narrow ?
[/color]

Where should Wildhorse in Pendleton fit in the list?  How about the Ridge course at Eagle Crest?  

Oh heck let's face it this list is pure horse manure.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2004, 05:44:27 PM »
Pat thanks for holding my feet to the fire.  The first few holes are undefined, cut by the entry road and as I remember a power line. I believe they could have been improved by some additional directional bunkering and greater definition around the putting surfaces.  The better holes begin with the first par three (4) and head into the narrower holes.  

Very narrow holes are included at #7 & 8 and #12,13 16 &17.   On each occasion these holes lead to very slow play.  When a stray ball is hit it is lost in the silal and underbrush of the Oregon forest.  Many NW courses suffer from many of the same issues.  Slow Play lead me to walk off on one occasion.  

I believe that many other public tracks in Oregon should be higher on the list.  Aspen Lakes, Black Butte and Eagle Point in Medford come to mind.  

Now with those comments: there are many more courses in Oregon beyond those at the coast.  A great Oregon trip would include not only the coast but the mountain and desert courses.  Tokatee is a great stop between Bandon and Bend.  I also enjoy stopping at Elkhorn Valley sports a very good front nine and a weak narrow back nine.  Mallard Creek is also worth a one time stop.  

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2004, 05:55:54 PM »
W.H. Cosgrove,

Bland might be a more apt description of the first three holes.

Bad + l and n = Bland.

It would be expensive to bury the power lines on # 2, but the effect would be terrific.  Perhaps some bunkering or mounding on # 1 and 3 could help those holes as well.

# 5 is a very unique hole, where narrowness is an asset.
I don't think that # 8 is any narrower then # 3 at Pine Valley.

I thought that the course had a good deal of potential if some trees were removed and some holes had features added to them.

I thought that a few dollars, prudently spent, could result in a dramatic improvement in the strategy and enjoyment in playing the golf course.

Oregon is a large state, not densely populated, and if golfers were willing to travel great distances to play the current golf course, I think even more would be willing to play an enhanced version of the golf course.

I think the golf course could be substantially improved for very little expense, and, it's already fun to play, with some nice vistas.

Who owns Tokatee ?

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2004, 06:03:28 PM »
Agreed.  Bland would be a less offensive word!  

When were you there last?  They have been working on some thinning.  Twelve, thirteen area was being worked on when I was last there.  

I believe the course is owned by a family or individual.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back