News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

peter_p

The Old Course- clockwise
« on: October 14, 2004, 12:59:41 PM »
The dates have been set for next years reverse routing. in formation is at this link: http://www.standrews.org.uk/news/pr/pr2004/press26.htm

Jeff_Mingay

Re:The Old Course- clockwise
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 01:36:05 PM »
Imagine a foreign golfer unaware of this special occasion, arriving at St. Andrews for a game while the Old Course was set-up in reverse!

It would be very interesting to get an impression from a foreigner who's first time around the Old Course was in reverse.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 01:36:38 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 01:53:58 PM »
Just curious - did the Links Trust follow any of Jeremy Glenn's suggestions about how to make subtle changes to the routing and build a few new tees etc?   I thought was going to be an "In My Opinion" piece, but guess not, I just scrolled through the list and didn't see it.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 02:15:18 PM »
Bill,

That essay by Jeremy is featured in Paul Daley's GOLF ARCHITECTURE, A WORLDWIDE PERSPECTIVE.  I think it was Volume 1.
jeffmingay.com

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 03:44:28 PM »
And what a good piece that article is in comparison with the awful, patronising, insulting piece Golf World ran on the event last year!

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 08:40:17 AM »
Bill,

The article is actually featured in the "courses by architect" section.

I remember sending the Links Trust my essay, but never got a response.  Perhaps I should do it again?  Wouldn't that be great to have them use even one of my idea...

paul westland

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 02:46:32 PM »
Jeremy, Jeff et al:  In April of last year I played the Old Course in Reverse, two days after playing it anti-clockwise with my friend, John.  My caddy for both days was David Coyne.  David authored the yardage book for the Reverse routing, which the starter issued us at the start of play.  

Pace of play did slow @8-11, but only the caddies seemed to mind, and why rush through the round at this place!  On the inward nine I do recall two or three occasions in which you could not play the run-up, but instead had to pitch, not at all unpleasant.  

The last day of the visit, I walked to the Road Hole and encountered two gents with the most perplexed expressions staring at the first tee wondering why the tee shots were all pulled left!  I was tempted to share in their disbelief, but set them straight on the spectacle.  Do not miss the opportunity to play the OLD LADY BACKWARDS.   ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 03:51:19 PM »
Peter,

I'd like to hear from those who have played the course in reverse and in its typical order.

How did they like it ?

What architectural values and features did they find constant ?

Which order of play they prefer ?

Etc., etc..

peter_p

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 05:22:13 PM »
Pat,
I haven't played it in the reverse, but I did walk it on a clear Sunday morning in 2000. Planning to play it in 2006, looking for partners then. I think it would be play to a higher score, slower as there are more crossing holes, and play to the exterior boundary of the course would be preferable. I defer opinion cross hazards,
as some would go out of play but others will take their stead.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back