News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CharlestonBuckeye

Atlanta Golf
« on: September 05, 2004, 09:44:24 AM »
Coming to Atlanta Sept. 14-16.  Golfing suggestions on the northern part of town?

Anyone interested in playing?

Thanks in advance,

ed_getka

Re:Atlanta Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 12:55:05 PM »
Shawn,
  I don't know the area, but will be out there in Nov. for a get together at Cuscowilla. I would go check out Cuscowilla if I were you, based on the positive feedback the course has received here. Have a great trip.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 12:55:33 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 01:22:09 PM »
I won't be able to play those dates (work intrudes) but I'll be happy to help you with suggestions.  Where will you be staying and how much do you want to spend?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

CharlestonBuckeye

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 02:20:46 PM »
Northern perimeter.  Willing to pay for a good course.  I'm also a member at Yeamans Hall if you know of any clubs that have a reciprocal friendly policy.

Thanks again,

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 04:09:25 PM »
Some daily fee possibilities worth considering:

Crooked Creek in Alpharetta on Hgy. 9
Windermere in Cumming, just off Ga. 400
Chestatee G.C., farther up 400 north of Cumming
Cobblestone in Acworth (NW side)
Emerald Pointe at Lake Lanier
Woodmont in Canton

All are excellent, and I have left out a number of other daily fee courses that I either haven't played or wouldn't recommend.  Crooked Creek is a favorite of mine, as is Woodmont, but Cobblestone is probably the best of this bunch.  It would be a bit farther of a drive, however.

As to reciprocal agreements, you might call Cherokee Town Club, or the Ansley Club's Settindown course.

Let me know if any of these are of interest, and I'll provide any further information that I can, as well as driving directions.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

pdrake

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 05:08:05 PM »
I would give Hawk's Ridge or Atlanta Athletic Club a call........I am sure they would reciprocate with a YH member (unaccompanied rate is high though).  Atlanta CC might be tough, Peachtree probably impossible (unless you know a member).  Good luck!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 09:46:49 PM »
You should also play White Columns (daily fee) if at all possible.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2004, 09:57:12 PM »
White Columns is no longer daily fee; it went private just about a year ago.  No great loss to the Atlanta daily fee world, IMHO, especially at the prices that they were charging.

They are owned by the same outfit that has just purchased Atlanta National.  The company has closed Atlanta National to rework the greens, which had serious poa anna problems this year, and the membership is using White Columns, along with Hamilton Mill (I think).

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 08:02:35 PM »
Well, Shawn... where did you wind up playing? Give us a report.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 09:12:08 PM »
How did I miss this thread the first time around.  I was down in ATL on the 14th on the north side, and managed to get in a quick 9.  Probably could have been motivated to allow enough time for 18 holes had I seen this thread.

Unfortunately he isnt playing anywhere today in ATL.  I am guessing Crooked Creek isnt so crooked right now, most creeks in the northern ATL area are kind of going wherever they want to tonight.  Thank You Ivan.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

CharlestonBuckeye

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 06:36:56 AM »
Thanks to all who replied.  I squashed my plans when Ivan's projected path began to have Atlanta in the crosshairs.

Scheduled round at TPC Sawgrass / Stadium was nixed two weeks ago as the course was closed for several days following Frances.

Trying Ohio next week.  Snow?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back