News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Garden City
« on: September 16, 2004, 03:34:43 PM »
I am going to be playing here next week.  Other than Ran's write up is there anything special at this club I should take note of.  I have heard that the clubhouse is something special.  And, I remember Ran's thread a while back about how great the tee shots are at Garden.  

I am just trying to make sure I don't miss anything.  Thanks.

George Pazin

Re:Garden City
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 03:52:08 PM »
There were some fantastic threads on GCGC a few years back, around the time that Ran wrote his course profile. I am flat out guessing here, but maybe around October/November 2001? You might want to try digging through the archives.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

david h. carroll

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 04:00:32 PM »
I dare you to do an advanced search for the term "GCGC" going back 600 days and for all results...should be interesting ;)

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 04:21:46 PM »
Garden City Golf Club was a revelation for me, in no small part because  I had no preconceptions beforehand about what to expect.  I'm not sure that anyone's descriptions would have adequately set the stage for me anyway...

It was almost as if I entered a time machine when passing through the gate from the surrounding suburbia, to a more serene, less frenetic pace.  Although my execution of shots wasn't up to snuff, I at least found myself thinking about playing shots in different ways than I might otherwise, which was very stimulating--the whole walk around was invigorating in a way I hadn't anticipated from a "landlocked" course...

If you want specifics, make sure to spend a fair amount of time in the clubhouse area ahead of time, if possible, as I really felt it set the tenor for the whole day.  Watch for some optical illusions, such as the sandy area in view on the 3rd hole tee shot, or how the scale of some of the fairway-blending into green areas, such as the 7th, and how they mess with your normal perceptions...

Also, if your host happens to time your round for completion so that the post-round drinks are on the veranda over looking #18 in the sunset, then you too may experience nirvana...

It will be tremendous!

Peter

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 04:30:05 PM »
Just drop a brief note in the suggestion box that you think the 12th hole is a piece of cake and wholly out of character and that you think they should restore the hole to whatever was there before! And just make sure you're safely out of the parking lot before they read your suggestion!

;)

JSlonis

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 04:30:55 PM »
The clubhouse is like stepping back in time.  Very understated, and just perfect for the club.  

Bring your Navy Sport Coat...

Bring your "A" game...

And when you are finished, enjoy a "Southside" on the porch.

Have fun, you're in for a unique treat. :D

Cory Lewis

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 05:45:14 PM »
I had the unique experience of playing Garden City with pretty much nobody around besides the maintenance staff a few weeks ago.  It is a very surreal experience.  What others have said here is very true, it's amazing how you go from suburbia to this beautiful piece of property.  My favorite holes were 9 & 10.  The bunkering is so unique, and yet fits the landscape so perfectly.  
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 07:42:15 PM »
Give yourself at least an hour to soak up some of the history on the walls, note the creaky floor, check out the huge showerheads. Buy a copy of the club history if you can, it is a great one.
    Take notice of how the fairway runs seamlessly into the green on many holes.
    Think about how the course plays for you, and then imagine golfing there with hickories.
    Have a great day, it is one of THE great places to spend a day. You will be shocked how close to the city and "civilization" you are, without it making its presence felt.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 09:36:58 PM »
Steve,
I am going to be playing here next week.  Other than Ran's write up is there anything special at this club I should take note of.  

Asking others can predispose you and deprive you of formulating your own perceptions.

Getting there well in advance of your host is a practice most clubs don't condone, but, a little lead time would be well spent viewing the clubhouse walls.

Play and enjoy the golf course and let us know what you think.
[/color]

I have heard that the clubhouse is something special.  And, I remember Ran's thread a while back about how great the tee shots are at Garden.  

I am just trying to make sure I don't miss anything.
It's almost impossible to observe and/or understand everything about the play of the golf course and its architecture.  Observe as much as you can without detracting from your game.  Hopefully, you'll have return visits and can expand your data base.
[/color]

« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 09:39:39 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 10:59:34 PM »
Steve,
  Patrick nailed with his last statement. Have fun, it won't be hard to do. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 08:11:20 AM »
Thank you for all of the responses.  I will definately try to pick up the book on the club's history.  Hopefully the club will allow you to buy things with cash or credit card.  I hate to put my host out for things.  Thanks again to everyone.  I will write more when I get back.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2004, 08:29:59 AM »
no cash, no credit cards...RHE

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back