News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Bandon Dunes/Pacific Dunes
« on: September 14, 2004, 02:37:56 PM »
I have my first trip scheduled to play these courses and wanted to know if there are any items I shouldn't miss while there.

Does it matter which order I should play the courses?
Mr Hurricane

Dan Herrmann

Re:Bandon Dunes/Pacific Dunes
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 02:56:23 PM »
My advice is to really try to soak up the environment.  As I told my wife on 17 tee of Bandon looking back at the Pacific - "Take it in.  It just doesn't get any better than this."

Don't get so engrossed in your game that you fail to notice the architecure, nature, and the feel of the place.  Bandon/Pacific is truly special golf that you should savor.

A caddie isn't a bad bet (check out www.bandoncaddie.com), but we handled the course fine by ourselves.  It wasn't a difficult walk at all, but a caddie could add to the experience by explaining nuances that a first-timer could miss.  Plus, they could be really helpful if there's some rain.

Also be sure to try to take in Bandon-by-the-Sea, Oregon.  It's a cool little town.   Great fish & chips and lots of cranberry-centered foods (they grow a lot of cranberries around Bandon).  

Enjoy it - we miss it terribly.  Heck - I even remember what song was playing on the radio as we turned onto US101 after our last round there!

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 03:11:50 PM »
Jim--

Check your e-mail.

Living vicariously,
Peter

THuckaby2

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 03:52:55 PM »
Jim:

One word:  VOLCANO.

You'll understand what this means your first meal there.

As for the golf, there is no wrong way to do it.  You're heading to golf heaven, my friend.

TH

Andy Hodson

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 04:10:20 PM »
Jim

You are indeed a lucky man. Bandon is beyond pure.

Things to check out on the courses: 1)notice the difference in the style of bunkering betweeen Bandon and Pacific. Especially check out the fairway bunkering on #13 Pacific, the front bunker on #12 Bandon, fairway bunkering on #8 Bandon, the huge front bunker on #6 Pacific. 2) whether playing the back tees or not, check out the view the back tee at #13 Pacific affords...follow the dune from behind the 13th green (way in the distance), all the way back past the tee you are standing on and the halfway(?) house just to see how Doak used that great dune on so many holes. 3) the great green sites used by Kidd at Bandon, specifically #5 and #14 4) the wonderfully diverse back nine 3 pars at Pacific 5) the wickedly difficult short approach (unless into the wind, then its just impossible) at #11 Bandon and 6) how there is not one mediocre hole in the bunch.

I would recommend you:
a. take a caddy. I needed one to aim tee shots especially. They are courteous, knowledgeable, and professional.
b. sample the Oregon wines at the Lodge
c. dine at the Crow's Nest in Bandon proper (located above the Wheel House)...great view, funky little attic type restaurant.
d. try the pizza at Mulligans at Bandon Dunes
e. if travelling with three others (or more), play at least one round contested at alternate shot. We did our last round there, and it was by far the most fun of the six rounds played.
f. take rain gear
g. take lots of gloves (see f)
h. take water proof golf shoes
i. don't worry if you forget your umbrella. It will probably blow too hard to make a difference.
J. don't try to self serve at an Oregonian gas station. Its a $5000 fine. I'm not kidding.

Enjoy the walk...as they say there.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 04:12:04 PM by Andy Hodson »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 05:08:13 PM »
Thanks to all for the insight. I can't wait to get there. I certainly will be taking a caddy. Alternate shot probably won't be played as I only have one round on each before I head to Pumpkin Ridge and my meetings.
Mr Hurricane

Brian Mariotti

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 06:00:56 PM »
I cant believe no one has mentioned the BEST ITALIAN FOOD on the WEST COAST. La Cucin Italiana is at the end of town in Bandon. It is truly the best Italian I have ever had, and possibly home to the best Italian Dressing on the planet! Mom and Pop operation where the Son(maybe 10 years old) plays Piano for tips! We go EVERY NIGHT WE ARE THERE. That means 4 nights ..4 trips to La Cucina..it is that good! By the way, the Golf is pretty good too!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 06:24:14 PM »
Do I need to rent a car or is there adequate car service?
Mr Hurricane

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 08:16:59 PM »
Jim,

Play Bandon first.
Tim Weiman

C. Sturges

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 09:22:24 PM »
Leave your wedges at home!  Use your putter when ever possible.  Have a great time.

DPL11

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 09:42:58 PM »
Jim,

When are you going? I'm leaving this Saturday and will arrive at BD/PD on Monday and returning Friday.

doug

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 10:14:13 PM »
I made a reservation for my inaugural trip for this October.  How far in advance does everyone usually make their plans?(Assuming there wasn't a 3rd course opening next summer)
The accomodations were quite full, as were the tee sheets.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2004, 09:42:44 AM »
Doug -

I don't arrive until October 12, play October 13, then off to Portland on the 14th. Short and sweet, pray for decent weather.
Mr Hurricane

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »
Doug,
I'll be at Bandon next Wed and Thurs (22nd and 23rd). Playing at 11:00 am on Wed and 7:30 on Thurs. I'll be in the Lodge Wed night. Would love to hook up.

Don

DPL11

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2004, 03:05:15 PM »
Don,

Check your GCA mailbox.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2004, 03:10:16 PM »
There was a thread a long while back that had all of the hidden tees at Pacific and Bandon.  I tried to find it for you but I couldn't.  I wonder if that tradition will be carried over to the Trails course.  

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2004, 09:49:00 AM »
Jim Franklin:

My suggestion when you play Bandon and Pacific Dunes---and hopefully a couple of time each is to start to really try to notice some of the little things that are different between them, particularly in the so-called "architectural" side of things (what the architect did and didn't do differently on each of them). That kind of thing though, I guess  presupposes that you're as interested in the little details of golf architecture as many on this website are.

Have a good time.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2004, 11:55:25 AM »
TEP -

That certainly is at the top of my list trying to see what they did and didn't do at each site since they are so close in proximity. I have read enough and seen plenty of pictures so I can't wait to finally experience the joys of Bandon/Pacific.
Mr Hurricane

THuckaby2

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2004, 09:05:16 PM »
Jim:

Sure, TEP's suggestion is right on, but remember, man does not live by architecture alone.  Remember:  VOLCANO.  Your cardiologist might need to see one of his colleagues if he hears you consumed one, but your taste buds will be thanking you for days.

God I hope they still make this delicacy there... it's been a few years since I've been there....

TH

Jason Mandel

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2004, 09:13:59 PM »
huck,

please do tell...
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

ed_getka

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2004, 11:02:58 PM »
Jim,
   Check out the driving range too. It is one of the best I've ever seen. Especially the open area out to the right where you can practice shots from every lie imaginable in that field of "moguls". Have a great time. I am counting down the days to BT opening day.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back