News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Aberdour. a few pics inc RG, NC and FBD.
« on: October 12, 2009, 03:47:45 PM »
As a pictorial addenda to the other thread I though I’d post a few pics of Rich’s home course, Aberdour.  I spent a couple of weeks in Fife this summer and my end of holiday depression was postponed by a delightful GCA round of golf on  a lovely summers evening in the company of Rich, Niall Carlton  and Marty Bonnar. Firstly let me apologise for not getting a decent group photo but as you’ll see we were chasing the light and played a fun match at a good lick.  I knew light would fail us so this was never going to be a tour of the course but hopefully these pictures give an impression  and show what a lovely place it is to be a member of.

Firstly how many of us are lucky enough to live close enough to a golf course like this, that they can walk to and from?  Aberdour is less than half and hour on the train from Edinburgh. Imagine on those long Scttish summer evenings coming home from work, picking up a few clubs and heading off to the club.  The excellent website  http://www.aberdourgolfclub.co.uk/    has the strapline “golf with a view” but there’s also some cool holes out there.

If Aberdour is famous for anything it’s for starting with two par 3’s.  Playing at 90 degrees to each other on a windy promontory,  I can see that some days you might tear up a medal card after the second, as missing either can be serious.

It’s a parkland course on the side of hill sloping down to the sea, but the routing is clever enough to avoid any sense of repetition

3rd

Tight in places, the severely elevated 4th green.  Ever wonder why Rich carries a 64 degree wedge? Drive and flip for him.

5th like a few holes featuring a green that follows the lie of the land to give a very sloped green

Looking out towards the Isle of May and North Berwick Law.

Across the Firth lies the capital.

There’s an interesting story about the history of the island in the foreground. Rather than get it wrong perhaps Rich will retell it?

Well the rain held off and it was a lovely evening but not so good for photography.
 We got to inspect FBD’s day job that runs between the course and some very desirable real estate. Tough gig.

Finally as we played the 14th at 273 yards down hill in the gathering gloom I had little idea where the balls were headed as we teed off.

Rich somehow found his on the green. Guys, can anyone remember the result of his putt?  Nah me neither.  (Marty and Niall in the background.)

Thanks Rich, Niall and Marty.  Happy memories.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:54:08 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

Re: Aberdour. a few pics inc RG, NC and FBD.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 04:14:13 PM »
Is Rich playing in denim there in the last photo, or is it a trick of the fading light?

I haven't played there but did stop for lunch with Rich and his "sprogs" in 2005 en route to St Andrews for the Open.  The view of those opening holes from the clubhouse is terrific.  They do appear to be potential card wreckers, particularly that 2nd.  It looks just right for my standard "no warm up" low pull.   :o

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 06:02:24 PM »
Isn't there a single malt with the same name?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Steve Wilson

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:59:29 PM »
Tony,

In the picture across the firth to the capital, are you being mugged, doing an impression of a henge, or holding the camera up to take the photo?
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 10:35:41 PM »
Isn't there a single malt with the same name?
I think it's Aberlour, maybe?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 05:02:24 AM »
Thanks for that Tony.  One of these days I'll get out there with a camera during daylight.  The island that keeps cropping up is Inchcolm, which contains an Abbey that is mentioned in "Macbeth." (Upon checking, the tale I told you about St. Margaret visting there daily turns out to have been an exaggeration.  She might have visited it once or twice, going to and from Dunfermline to Edinburgh...).

David and Tim

The malt is Aberlour, but I will occasionally use a magic marker to make the box read "Aberdour" when I give it to friends.

Rich

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »
For the record, Rich, sank the putt which was for eagle..........which beat my birdie. The only hole I played well. Bugger !

Tony - thanks for posting

Rich - thanks for hosting

Marty - thanks for putting up with my pish golf

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 03:44:48 PM »
Another wonderful GCA mini-event!
Aberdour is a proper wee gem. Such good fun, full of quirky detail and an exemplary routing on a tight site. Great to finally golf and meet with the Majesty that is Muldoon, fellow former MSc student Niall and honorary Fifer, bon viveur and all round decent cove, the Good Greatdale.

One note of sadness: unfortunately due to impending Public Sector cutbacks, I will soon no longer be in charge of our splendid Coastal Path... :'(

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back