News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary_Nelson

Oakland Hills #6 - Par 3 and half
« on: September 16, 2004, 10:24:47 AM »
I spent some time watching hole #6 at the Ryder Cup practice round yesterday.  This par 4 plays between 310 - 356 yards, uphill and downwind... and most players tried driving the green.  There is a very cool little knob in 20 yards short of the green that will kick all but the straightest shots  into the right rough or bunker.  

Sergio Garcia hit the tiny landing area in front of the green and his ball rolled on the green.  Wow!

Most players hit within 30 yards of the green and had a fairly easy up-and-down to a center pin position.

I see this hole as an example of a half-par.  It's a fairly hard 3 but a very easy 4 for the Ryder Cup players.   Does this make it a par 3 and a half?

Whatever par you call it, there will be lots of action at hole #6 this weekend!

Gary_Nelson

Re:Oakland Hills #6 - Par 3 and half
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 01:12:49 PM »
I was standing about 40 yards short of the green so I couldn't see exactly where Sergio teed it up.   It looked as if he was towards the front.  The hole played downwind.  I think he hit the ball 290 in the air and got 20 yards bounce + roll.

Kenny Perry hit it in the greenside bunker on the fly... and the ball had some serious steam on it when it landed.  I'm guessing 300 yards of carry.

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 05:49:17 PM »
I was there Tues and many were playing 2 shots from the tee - 1 back and one from the up sets.  Most on the up sets when I was there were not finding the green - either bunker or rough.

From the back tee, Phil found the rough and could not find his ball even though he walked right over it.  Of course, he then hit a nice little shot that was tight to the pin.
Steve Pozaric

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 06:52:58 AM »

"  but a very easy 4 for the Ryder Cup players."

Not if you miss the fairway and in the rough

Gary_Nelson

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 09:50:19 AM »
The rough didn't look so rough when I saw these guys hitting their approach shots.  Most were within 50 yards of the green and everyone hit the green from the rough.  Maybe I was fooled by an easy center pin position.  Still, the green is fairly small and I'm sure these guys can 2 putt from almost anywhere.   My conclusion:  Easy par 4.   Hard par 3.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 09:50:43 AM by Gary_Nelson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back