News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Chehansky

Pensacola CC; Q School info
« on: September 08, 2004, 01:37:09 PM »
I have a client who is going to Q School, what is Pensacola CC like?  My client is a top amateur, hits the ball very straight, not overly long, solid short game, exceptional putter.  Does he fit this course?  Any thoughts? Thanks.

John_Conley

Re:Pensacola CC; Q School info
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 03:14:53 PM »
McBride.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 04:35:44 PM »
I have a client who is going to Q School, what is Pensacola CC like?  My client is a top amateur, hits the ball very straight, not overly long, solid short game, exceptional putter.  Does he fit this course?  Any thoughts? Thanks.

I think Bill McBride is on his way to the Pacific NW right now.  In his absence I think PCC would fit your friends game to a tee.  PCC is 6633 max from the back tees, so length is not a premium.  It would seem that given the description that you gave there wouldnt be too many courses that would be a problem for your friend though.

PCC is not what I would call overly tight or overgrown with trees etc, but your buddies skills would serve him well there.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

John_Cullum

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 04:42:18 PM »

...  PCC is 6633 max from the back tees, so length is not a premium.  

I am surprised the PGA would use such a short course for Q school.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John_Conley

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 11:53:40 AM »
Sarge:

First stage.

John_Conley

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 12:29:26 PM »
Bill McBride:

Could you do me a favor?  A friend has entered Pensacola and Hombre.  He's played the latter before; even though he didn't advance through 2nd Stage in 2002, he's planning on going back.  He likes the sound of Pensy, but hasn't seen it.  I told him I "know" a member.  We're wondering if he could be accompanied by you for one of his practice rounds.

I hope all is well with you and that Ivan misses us all by spinning into a black hole.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 01:16:28 AM »
Bill's up in Vancouver & Seattle this week, driving down here to Portland in a couple days and staying through the end of next week.  I played Pensacola CC with him a couple weeks ago and Darryl's right that the course should fit your friend's game well.  Not overly demanding off the tee, but the greens are pretty small (one par 5 is something like 1800 square feet!!) so if he's an accurate iron player, he should do well.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 05:30:18 PM »
Maybe we should be wondering if Pensacola CC will still be around, as Hurrican Ivan is predicted to hit Pensacola head on.

Bill McBride,

Get outta there!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 05:35:06 PM »
Does Bill have some kind of weather/hurricane crystal ball?  I think he left FL many days ago.  Before anyone (except maybe Bill) knew it was coming there.

Bill I hope you didnt leave the windows down on your car in the parking lot.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 12:55:03 PM »
McBrides will be okay, we are in Portland visiting our daughter on a long-planned vacation trip that started 9/8 in Vancouver.  We return to Pensacola Sunday, undoubtedly to no electricity, trees down everywhere, and flooded lowlands.  If you haven't been through a hurricane of Ivan's proportions, consider yourself lucky.  I'm sure the Central Florida guys are sick and tired of Bonnie, Charlie and Frances

With regard to Pensacola CC, we have hosted first stage Q school three times now.  The 72 hole scores for the qualifiers have been -16 to -2.  The course is no pushover primarily because of the small, slightly elevated greens and tricky contours around the greens.  As Mike mentioned, the 14th green is almost non-existent to be at the end of a 560 yd par 5, maybe 1800 SF.  It was the smallest on the PGA Tour for years when the Pensacola Open was played here for many years.

The course plays well beyond its 6600 yds because we are at dead sea level and the water table is high.  Not a lot of run at PCC.

Q School participants will score well if their iron play is accurate, tee shots are in the right place for best angles into those tiny greens, and the short game is strong.  

Keep your fingers crossed about Ivan.  Our house is secured, our dogs are in a safe kennel, our cars in one of our empty warehouses.  Our prayers are with all the people in the area of potential destruction.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2004, 07:10:02 PM »
Bill, it sounds like you have planned well and have taken as much precaution as you could.  We will still all keep our best wishes for your friends and family and all the folks from your home area to come through the disaster intact, safe and secure...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2004, 01:09:32 PM »
Ivan has hit Pensacola with a fury we haven't seen in the past.  130 mph winds have downed many trees, which are all over the streets and houses.  A number of large waterfront homes no longer exist.  Bridges are down, no electricity, no city water (a first).  The Nextel network isn't working so I can't reach my employees.  But good news is our home survived well, no damage, and dogs are in a safe kennel and cars in one of our warehouses.  It will be a while until all utilities are restored, so this will my last communique for a bit.

The questions about Pensacola and Q School may be moot, the course was probably covered by five feet of sea water.  And many of the old pines and oaks are undoubtedly down.  I'm not eager to see that.

John Conley, have your friend call me (850-232-6638 daytime, 850-434-1150 at night) and we can set up a tour of PCC, assuming the Q School goes on.

John_Conley

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2004, 02:34:06 PM »
Bill:

Thanks, and God Bless.  These hurricanes are no picnic.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back