News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Aldeburgh at last!
« on: August 30, 2004, 10:24:30 AM »

3rd

3rd

4th

4th

5th

5th

5th

7th

11th

13th

18th

Andy Hughes

Re:Aldeburgh at last!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 01:36:07 PM »
It is amazing, throw in some lovely heather, menacing bunkers and a dark, foreboding sky and every course has that 'I gotta get there someday' look!  ;)
Andy
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 06:20:49 PM »
Ah, the gorse in bloom!

Will the gorse be that wonderful color still in July next summer?

Paul_Daley

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 12:12:33 AM »
Mark: just love these images of Aldeburgh! They have more "mood" than Brute Bernard and Skull Murphy combined, while roaming around the wrestling ring in the early 1970s. I like mood, and I do miss the old wrestlers! They were actors back then, too, but far better trained than the comics in the ring today.  

The open entrances to the greens, mixed bunker forms, including sleepered bunkers, traditional and subtley contoured greens, are all worth noting. Like Royal Dornoch, the property must be quite a site when the gorse is in full blaze.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 06:01:37 AM »
They say it's the kissin' season when the gorse is in bloom.  It's always the kissin' season.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 10:54:24 AM »
Wanted to get there for some time, Mark.  Is it stonger that Woodbridge?  Also want to play Purdis Heath (Ipswich).
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 11:28:18 AM »
I think it's very strong.  Peter Alliss asks if it is the hardest British course on which to try to play to your handicap.  It's so far from anywhere that you have to have the time to play other courses as well.  For me Aldeburgh is in a league of its own.  Woodbridge is charming, full of interest and make sure you leave time to play the Hawtree 9-hole course as well - rather more heathland in character and full length.  It is also so much gentler now that RAF Woodbridge has closed.  Ipswich (Purdis Heath) is elegant, nothing spectacular apart from a downhill par 3 over a pond, but the gestures are very much in keeping with the scale of the site.  I like it.  I also like Rushmere, another Ipswich course, this time very much beset with gorse.  Then, of course, there's Felixstowe Ferry which has some fine links holes, is very much at the mercy of the wind and has historic links with Bernard Darwin.  There have been some recent revisions to a several holes because of public safety issues - probably not the first we'll hear of.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back