News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

Great Britain: Name Courses versus Unexpected Delights
« on: August 30, 2004, 02:21:02 PM »
The last time I was in the UK, I played most of the justifiably famous courses one does when first golfing here.

This time, apart from Porthcawl, I haven't.  Instead, I've stuck to the lesser lights like Southerndown, Silloth, Brora, Tain etc, and haven't really the biggies.

There is so much quality golf amongst the lesser lights in the UK.  Allright, the front nine at Brora may appear a little similar to each other, but there are some terrific, small greens, a wonderfully warm welcome (Ring up to enquire as to the possibilites of a game - you'll be interrupted with a jolly, booming, 'absolutely nooooooo problem there'), and several thrilling holes, notably the 16th, and, especially, the 17th, which is just out of this world.

Even Tain, a nice but hardly earth shattering course, has several nice surprises - the rumped fifth fairway and small green saddled in a pocket, as well as the out-of-this-world 15th green.

With the price of golf in the UK seemingly heading for the stratosphere, most of the lesser brigade can be had for less than forty quid, you're assured of a hearty welcome, might even get the opportunity to trot along with the more 'down to earth' members there and learn something of the club and course itself, and you're still assured of some quality architecture, albeit with not quite as many standout holes as the biggies, but some beauties (which you can stay and study long after you would have been chainsawed and dumped in a burn at a Royal club), and some mostly stunning scenery too.

If Mark Rowlinson had somehow managed to keep the gruesome twosome in check, it would almost be worth emigrating from the land of sun-kissed delight.  (Oz, to you neophytes).

David_Tepper

Re:Great Britain: Name Courses versus Unexpected Delights
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 03:18:55 PM »
Mark-

I could not agree with you more! I think the real treat to playing golf in GB&I lies with playing the less known, less expensive and less crowded courses, especially once you have notched a few of the big-names on your belt.

Next time you get to the Dornoch area, be sure to play Golspie and Fortrose & Rosemarkie. They compare favorably with Tain and Brora for sure.  The improved Struie course at Dornoch is also very solid.

Other 'hidden gems' I recommend highly are Narin & Portnoo in Ireland and Castlrock in NI. In England, I think Hillside, St. Endoc and New Zealand are well worth playing and often get overlooked when compared to some of the courses near to each.

DT  

Evan_Green

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 03:24:33 PM »
Yes Hillside is a really a gem. I really enjoyed my round there.

According to their website, Greg Norman wrote them a letter calling the back nine there the best in Britain.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 03:24:55 PM by Evan_Green »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 04:10:58 PM »
Help! What was I supposed to do?  Gruesome twosome?  Tell me what I should have done and I may find an excuse - or else I'll jump in front of a bus.

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 03:44:04 AM »
Mark,

Couldn't you have managed to contrive some sort of sex scandal, or something?

Monica has been in Scotland I note, surely she'd be up for it?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 05:59:50 AM »
I'm afraid we've no courses with really pregnant names, nothing to compare with French Lick.  No, the nearest we've got to sex and golf is a discussion (in the British Golf Quiz) of the length of a skirt in trying to date a picture.  These days they all wear trousers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back