News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Thompson

Oakland Hills setup for Ryder Cup?
« on: August 30, 2004, 12:01:28 AM »
Hey all -- anyone had a chance to see how they're setting up Oakland Hills for the Ryder Cup? I saw the course last year and the rough was short, as expected for members. But I assume they are growing it long and all the rain this year should make it thick.
There was also discussion of Rees Jones getting a shot at making some changes, but my understanding was that these changes would occur after the Ryder Cup.
Lastly, anyone have a sense of the extend of Art Hills changes to the property?

Robert
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Gerry B

Re:Oakland Hills setup for Ryder Cup?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 03:01:30 AM »
I have talked to some members and visitors that have played it this year and the rough was long and thick - ie punch outs if you miss the fairway - one can only assume this will be the case in mid september.

Jfaspen

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 08:36:10 AM »
All summer Michigan has had uncharacteristically cool and rainy weather.  If they ever wanted to have rough grow out of control, they have had the conditions for it.  

jf

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 09:20:13 AM »
Jeff,

You're right - the rough at Detroit area courses has been brutal this season, thanks to the rain and cool temps. I haven't been over to Oakland Hills this year, yet. But I can't imagine the situation there is any different.

Some of us have been criticial of Ryder Cup set-ups before, in regard to brutal rough. The competition would be much more exciting if the course set-up encouraged swash-buckling recovery play rather than forcing a chip-out after missing a 20 yard wide fairway.

I nominate the Old Course for the next available European Ryder Cup venue  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back