News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

British Courses 1
« on: August 30, 2004, 05:43:56 AM »
I hope this will be the first of many posts featuring the highways and byways of golf courses in Britain.

Aldeburgh is an old club, dating back to 1884, the present day layout being that of JH Taylor (1907), little altered since.  It is probably classed as a heathland course, though it is only a mile from the sea and plays very much like a links course.  The drainage is brilliant, so there is a lot of run on the fairway and most approach shots are of the bump and run variety.  The main hazards are gorse (impenetrable and seriously threatening to even the mildest of slices or hooks) and plentiful bunkers.  There are no par 5s but 9 of the par 4s are over 400 yards in length, so it is a very tough 6350 yards for a par of only 68.  It is very traditional - two ball play only - but visitors are welcome.   Other worthwhile courses in the area are Thorpeness, Woodbridge, Ipswich (all heath) and Felixstowe Ferry (links).

3rd 429-yard par 4

3rd

4th 127-yard par 3 with very narrow green, slightly angled to right and sleeper-faced horseshoe bunker surrounding front and sides.

4th from behind

Approach to 5th green (440-yard par 4)

5th green

5th - typical deep bunkering and a snowstorm approaching!

7th green, third of a trilogy of strong par 4s (411 yards).  Many greens exposed to the wind, very dry and very fast.

11th - 469-yard par 4 littered with bunkers and green angled away to right behind long, thin trap.

13th, rather more inland in character, a fairly undemanding 370-yard par 4.

18th, a strong 425-yard par 4 which often plays into the wind.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:British Courses 1
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 05:46:20 AM »
Failed again!  Why are they so small?

Neil Regan

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 06:08:53 AM »
Mark,

Make sure that you get the Mystic URL from the big version of the picture, not the small version.

Better yet, try

photobucket.com

It allows bigger pictures than Mystic, and the code is already prepared for you to paste here on GCA, or elsewhere.

Here is a picture I have on photobucket, to show you the possible size:

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 07:43:25 AM »
Mark,

Make sure that you get the Mystic URL from the big version of the picture, not the small version.

What Neil means by this is that when you seen the "entire group" set of pictures, you then need to click on an individual picture and make it larger.  THEN, do all the stuff about Properties, URL, etc.  

I need to give Photobucket a try.....although I have no expectations that my pictures will be anywhere near as striking as Neil's.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 10:11:38 AM »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 10:12:49 AM »
Thanks for your patience and help.  The rest will follow shortly.  There's no point in  making these any bigger - they're grainy photos probably on 400ASA slide film.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back