News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

blasbe1

Yale and The Creek
« on: August 24, 2004, 11:45:58 AM »
Any photos from these two recent outings?

Many thanks to Mike Sweeney for organizing the day at Yale, it was fantastic!    

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Yale and The Creek
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 01:16:15 PM »
Before we get to the photos, I do want to thank everyone who played at the outing. As I mentioned last night, when my son entered SLCD (www.slcd.org), he barely spoke any words, and today he is communicating at a much higher level. Dusty has financial advantages that other kids in the school do not, and the outing was very successful for the school and the kids. Thank-you also to Ran for allowing me to use GCA for this event.

6th tee, hole goes left - This was a similar view from the porch of The Creek's clubhouse where we had brunch before the outing. It is a beautiful place.

Kelly Moran, Geoffrey Childs, Mark Chalfont and Steve Wilson warming up

The Redanish Punchbowlish 453 yard 6th hole and green

Long: The 521 yard #7

It is about 40 miles from Creek's 10 to Friar's Head 18:

More later.............
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 04:45:30 PM by Mike Sweeney »

THuckaby2

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 01:20:19 PM »
Now those are four stalwarts, and that is
one hell of a great view - thanks, Mike!

And it sounds like a great day for a great
cause... oh would that I didn't live 3000
miles away - I'd love to do this one of
these years.

In any case, one humble request:  do you
have a picture of #6 at The Creek?  In
compiling my best holes by numbers list a few years ago,
several people mentioned #6 here as the
best #6 there is... I was curious then and
remain curious now about this hole.

Then again, maybe I have the course wrong...
it has been awhile since this discussion!  

TH

edit - I surely spoke too soon.  Thanks, Mike!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 01:40:17 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 01:41:04 PM »
Our long distance GCAers

Jimmy Muratt (VA), Jeff Goldman (IL), Bill Schultz (AZ)

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 02:27:17 PM »
439 yard 13th

13 green from 14 tee

Looking back @ 425 yard 14

Great short 4, 357 yard #15

15 green

Cocktails at The Creek's Beach Club for Brian Stark, Dave Mingey, Geoffrey, Steve "Mr 68" Lapper, Dan Taylor and Gene "Southsider" Greco

Yes West Coast GCAers, we have sunsets here too !

Mike Sweeney and Patrick Mucci straying away from the architectural discussion ;)

The lobsters never had a chance with Dan Taylor and Kelly Moran

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 02:38:39 PM »
Yale on Sunday

Scott Ramsey the new Super @ Yale dropped by to say hello

With a closed clubhouse, GCAers made do with an Ivy League tailgate post round.

SPDB

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 03:08:52 PM »
Mike (Anybody!) - Tell me you got a shot of #5 (Creek)??????

Huck - The first few shots in Mike's initial posts show various views of the 6th.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 03:11:01 PM by SPDB »

ChipOat

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 04:40:30 PM »
#6 at The Creek.

Perhaps the finest single strategic golf hole on all the planet Earth.

At least, IMO.

Gene Greco

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 08:40:39 PM »
   A more terrific day of golf couldn't have been had than 18 at The Creek on a pristine day in late summer followed by "Southsides" over looking the sound and lobsters and grilled tenderloins all in the presence of people who love the game.

I'd like to thank Mike Sweeney for putting together an unsurpassed day of joy done high style at one of America's premier golf clubs.

I'd also like to thank Steve Lapper for allowing me to "saddle up" to his sizzling 68 (!) all the way to first place edging the formidable Pat Mucci group in the process. My good friend Brian Stark and ubiquitous top 50 companion Geoff Childs completed a wonderful grouping for the day.

It was great seeing Kelley Blake Moran, my "Odessa Connection", and Pat Mucci once again as well as all GCAers especiallly Taylor, Murrat, Shultz and Chalfant.

A finer day of golf just couldn't be had!!!

"Southsider" Gene
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 06:58:37 PM »
I'm sitting on a plane in San Fran delayed by weather, and reflecting on a great weekend out east. Special thanks to M Sweeney for making it possible (and for fedexing my clubs home when I had to leave early). Also to all I met out there for their hospitality, especially J Blasberg for leading me to LI and for stopping at Morton's on the way. Wish I could have stayed for the Creek dinner, but it, Yale and Plainfield were fantastic. Hope to see you all in Chicago.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 02:12:25 PM by Jeff Goldman »
That was one hellacious beaver.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 10:44:44 PM »
Well,

I am finally home and at a computer so I can thank Mike Sweeney for making this opportunity available to GCAers.

And thanks to The Creek for making its course and Beach Club available for this charitable outing

Even though I made a dog's breakfast of it I was very much impressed by the 6th.   Of course, as a measure of how good the hole is, Mike Sweeney remarked to me "You haven't stopped grinning since we started."  It helped that our foursome started at the fourth and the view from the tee of Soundview is breathtakingly beautiful.  

If any of my many photos turn out well, I'll try to post them.

Again, thanks to Mike Sweeney and the Creek for a most enjoyable and memorable day.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

gholland

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 06:08:58 PM »
The "Shore" 10th hole at the Creek is the Macdonald/Raynor" Cape" hole design.  The cabanas (on the Long Island Sound)that line the left side of the fairway have a "white OB post" at the end of the cabanas.  If  a golfer were to hit a big slice that goes over the cabanas and then slices into the lateral hazard (defined by the red stake right next to the white OB stake).  he now lies in technically in the lateral hazard.  he so chooses to lift out of the hazard with a stroke penalty and drop.  Sind he last entered the hazard over the are defined as OB, where does he drop?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 07:18:55 PM »
Jason,

It was a wonderful day.

The weather was great, the golf course fabulous, the cause extremely worthy, and the company simply grand....
and, if you throw in the views, food and service, it would be tough to top.

It was nice to see so many familiar faces and to meet some new ones.

Mike Sweeney,

It's amazing how different subjects and different views appeal to different people.

This is what TEPaul doesn't understand, and what I've been trying to teach him for years.
You have to be able to immediately recognize the risk/reward in any situation, and to decide upon your options of play.
But, without a pre-nup, your options may be limited  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back