News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Garden or Friars
« on: August 21, 2004, 11:37:13 AM »
Which course would choose to play if you had the chance:  Garden City or Friars Head?  I have the chance to play Garden but I would have to pass on Friars if I do.  I guess what I am asking which would be better to see as far as learning more about great golf course architecture.  

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 11:37:54 AM by Steve_Roths »

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Garden or Friars
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 11:46:56 AM »
Steve,

They are both remarkable golf courses that a lot can be learned from. And also, completely different from one another. It's a tough choice. For sure.

A few years ago, I visited Garden City with limited time, simply because it's quite a bit closer to the city than Friar's Head. So, if time's a factor at all, the choice is simpler: Garden City.

Otherwise, good luck  :)
jeffmingay.com

Gerry B

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 05:11:35 PM »
that is a tough one - both great courses. If you have easier access to one of the 2 in the future - it is an easy choice - take the sure thing now. If that is not an issue -would play GC first.

Or flip a coin

Robert Emmons

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 05:42:17 PM »
To play classic old school golf GCGC is great, conditions haven't been great this year though...Friar's is a new experiance of what can be done...both are wonderful...The GCGC clubhouse is also fun...RHE

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 06:18:20 PM »
Friars Head is a more dramatic initial experience. Addtionally, it might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

If you want to learn what the best of the present and at least the nar future looks like....Hands down FH.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 06:47:24 PM »
The MerionFriars Head question and now Garden City or Friars Head is very difficult.  They are very different but both very interesting regarding their architecture.  I have to agree with Steve though and would probably choose FH based on limited opportunities.  Garden City isn't that hard to get on and since its been around 100+ years its probably going to around another 100.

rgkeller

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 08:45:38 PM »
If on normal schedule, GCGC's greens should have just been plugged.

They won't be any good for three weeks, if then.

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 09:13:59 PM »

I disagree with Mr. Lapper.  The more "dramatic" initial experience is playing GCGC and enjoying the clubhouse and ambiance.  I also do not understand why FH would be perceived as a harder ticket? less members?  Go with GCGC.

I do believe all could benefit though from playing a "modern" gem like FH and hoping it will somehow change the direction for future clubs.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 09:24:57 PM »
Hammy:

If your "drama" includes indoors, then you are indeed correct, GC is the call. Mr. Roths.....just be sure to bring all your liver functions with you! 8)

I don't know which is harder to get on and nor do I care!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 05:59:43 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 10:39:28 PM »
You need to go play Friars Head! I'm not saying it's a better golf course but it's so much more significant to some of what's going on today. GCGC has been there for a hundred years, it can wait until after you played Friars Head.

If you had the opportunity to play GCGC two years after it opened or today which would you choose? See what I mean! :)

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 02:08:04 AM »
Based purely on the golf experience, I would pick Friar's for sure.  It has such drama and I think every hole is terrific.  Both from a historical viewpoint and to be a part of the ambiance of a famous landmark golfcourse, Garden City obviously wins out.  They were real unhappy to see my wife pull into the parking lot to drop me off- no women allowed- but she stuck around long enough to take a picture of my host and me in our jackets, golf shirts and shorts, with penny loafers-  all required  to get into the clubhouse ( even in 100 plus heat!).  Great fun though.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 08:35:45 AM »
Friar's Head would be my choice, but my question to you is:

If you have the opportunity to play both of these, why not change your schedule and play both? If an emergency came up, whatever you have planned for the next day would surely take 2nd fiddle.

Couldn't you just call this an emergency or just an opportunity to smell the roses. Life is short to pass up these opportunities.

If you had to choice between Michelle Pfieffer and Halle Berry, what decission would you make?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2004, 08:50:33 AM »
"why not change your schedule and play both?"

I think cary has this right. If you have something like a business engagement or something else important on your schedule simply use the "Arab mentality" which is "If you can put something off until tomorrow you can put it off until the next day!"  ;)

mitchell cooper

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2004, 12:38:26 PM »

Go with Friars Head.  The architecture at both places is wonderful  but no socio-baggage at Friars Head.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back