News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

The Subtlety of Southerndown -
« on: August 19, 2004, 06:56:46 AM »
This is one of the unsung gems, I guess, of British golf, being located high up above a tiny town whose Welsh name appears to avoid vowels entirely.

Why it isn't more popular is a matter for thought, especially that, as many have said here recently, the price of golf in the  UK has gotten rather exorbitant in the past few years.  
Southerndown can be had for a mere forty quid, although on careful reflection it's not hard to see why.

The prodigious precipitation in the principality clearly renders irrigation coasts obsolete, whilst the gambolling sheep thoughtfully leave behind enough deposits to ensure that fertiliser salesman aren't known to the greenkeeper.

It's a course that is a little more difficult to fall in love with at first sight, despite some magnificent views, and several downhill second shots over tumbling terrain to closely guarded greens.  The par three fifth is the one stand out, a dramatic shot across a valley to a green on a ledge above some pimpled hummocks, but otherwise it is a course that requires more graft and craft.  

As with Porthcawl, there are a number of heaving greens, 1,2 and 3 in particular, with most of the rest being particularly subtle and mischevious.  

Several par fours, in particular the 6th, 8th and 11th, are between 411 and 470-odd yards, yet, standing on the tee, you would swear Heathrow airport was closer than the green in the distance.  

Although the fairways are reasonably tight, slicers/faders can get away with a bit more than anyone with a draw, as erring slightly left on most holes is instant death in the gorse.

It's a terrific course, but definitely one where a single round won't do it justice.  

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:The Subtlety of Southerndown -
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 07:42:05 AM »
Couldn't agree more!  I love it, apart from the slog up to the 1st green.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 10:21:43 AM »
Mark, is there any chance that you are going to be posting pictures of all these courses? Please?  :o

Also, having a tough day at work, thanks for this sentence!  ;D
The prodigious precipitation in the principality clearly renders irrigation coasts obsolete, whilst the gambolling sheep thoughtfully leave behind enough deposits to ensure that fertiliser salesman aren't known to the greenkeeper.

"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 10:37:18 AM »
Andy,

I assume you're addressing Mark F (Mark 1), but I'll be cheeky enough to reply.  I have photos of lots of these.  I've had no success in posting them yet, but I'll dig out the old how-to-do-it posts on GCA and have another go.

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 12:03:55 PM »
Andy,

I would have loved nothing better than to post pictures.  As Mark Rowlinson intimated on a previous post, the Welsh courses are particularly photogenic- and they are.
However.
Photography means, in Greek or Latin, I can never remember, 'writing with light.'

If Bram stoker had set Dracula in Wales instead of Whitby and London, the good Count would have no need of the cloak of darkness to commit his fould deeds - office hours in Wales would do just fine.  

Plus, both Porthcawl and Southerndown had things that got in the way - at Porthcawl, there were still remnants of the tournament paraphernalia on most holes, and Southerndown
were preparing for an event I believe, as the greens staff were buzzing about all over the place.

Mark Rowlinson:

I was reliably informed by a member that when Edmund Hillary made it to the first green on a visit, he knew Everest would be a piece of cake...

Seriously, besides the relentless climb, it is a pretty horrific tee shot.  It is yet another club with the first tee yards away from the withering gaze of those residing comfortably in the clubhouse, not to mention the cute four-legged gallery that has put me off my Sunday roasts for life, and seen me sell all my stocks in companies manufacturing mint sauce.

johnk

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 07:13:51 PM »
This is one of the unsung gems, I guess, of British golf, being located high up above a tiny town whose Welsh name appears to avoid vowels entirely.

Depends on your definition of vowels, and if it includes "w".
I highly recommend accomodations in Mwmblws for the southern Wales tourist. (I.e. The Mumbles )

PS. When in Cornwall, be sure to search out accomodations in a town that begins with "Tre".  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back