News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Top100Guru

Architectural Damage from Hurricane Charley???
« on: August 18, 2004, 07:01:29 PM »
I'm not sure how some of the other courses in the path of Charley fared, but Mountain Lake to a dirrect hit from the hurricane. The course lost several specimen oaks and apparently all the leaves are off the trees. Even a small boat was blown up into the 18th fairway.

Are there consequences to the health of a course after withstanding such a beating from 120mph+ winds and excessive rains?

RJ_Daley

Re:Architectural Damage from Hurricane Charley???
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 07:19:18 PM »
Not to make light of all the hardships those folks are going through, and surely golf course issues are of least import to recovery efforts.  But, I heard when the big hurricane blew threw Charleston some years ago, it really cleaned out the overgrown tree issues at CC of C.  So, maybe not all the effects would be totally negative if there were courses that let the tree planting get a little overboard.

ONe nice thing about turf, it doesn't exactly get blown away in a tornado or hurricane.  The turf is most likely to be gouged out and damaged by heavy tree trunks scraping along it and falling on greens and denting it.   I suppose there are plenty of bunkers to clean up and restock with sand too...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 09:33:20 PM »
From today's Fort Myers News Press:

Charley harsh on courses

Many in Southwest Florida are left with indelible marks

By SETH SOFFIAN, ssoffian@news-press.com
 Published by news-press.com on August 18, 2004

Golf courses in Charlotte County most devastated by Hurricane Charley may not reopen for months, course staff say, and the look and character of nearly all Charlotte County and some Lee County courses will be changed forever.

“It’s going to be months, or maybe a year. It’s hard to even find a place to start,” said Ryan Willis, superintendent at Kingsway Country Club in Port Charlotte on the Charlotte and DeSoto county border.

“There will be a golf course there. The tee boxes and fairways and greens weren’t damaged,” said Willis, estimating as many as 2,000 trees were downed at Kingsway. “Certainly the look of the golf course will never be the same. I don’t think you can replace some of the trees, as far as hundred-year-old oaks.”

Willis said members of the course told him the eye of the storm passed directly over Kingsway.

Chet Ballard, a golf course salesman for Lesco Inc., a course supply company, said he could not get his truck on the grounds of Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda country clubs Tuesday.

“It does not even look like a golf course right now,” Ballard said of Punta Gorda Country Club, a 1920s Donald Ross design. “It had 60-, 70-, 80-foot pine trees, Australian pines, that are absolutely gone. They’re all over the golf course right now. The whole aesthetic view and pristine sites that you saw are just bare.

“There’s nothing there now.”

Some courses throughout Southwest Florida sustained damage to clubhouses, maintenance facilities and other structures, but the primary obstacle to reopening is the debris scattered across the courses.

Coral Oaks Golf Course, a city-owned course in north Cape Coral, won’t be able to reopen until next week at the earliest. Royal Tee Country Club, located just a few miles south on Pine Island Road, however, was able to clear enough debris from 18 of its 27 holes to reopen Tuesday morning.

“Actually, our course is in good shape,” said Mike Tetlow, who works in the pro shop at Royal Tee. “We didn’t have much rain. We lost some trees — two huge ones in the middle of the range. There’s probably one or two other ones we’ve lost, which is probably good.”

Crews at Cypress Lake Country Club in Fort Myers began clearing debris as soon as the storm passed, but the 1950s-era course will only be able to open nine holes by Friday at the earliest — with permanent changes.

“The look of our golf course has forever been changed,” Cypress Lake teaching professional Robin Albright said of the second-oldest course in Lee County. “Those two big royal poincianas that were at the back of the ninth green, they’re gone. There are some key trees that you’ll definitely notice aren’t there anymore.

“It’s sad, but we’re very lucky.”

Dan Losey, owner and head professional of Summerlin Ridge Golf Center in southwest Fort Myers, said the executive golf course and driving range sustained $80,000-$100,000 in damage, not counting lost revenue.

“We’re going to try to get one of two facilities open, probably the golf course, by the weekend,” Losey said.

Lee County’s only lighted course, however, did not lose its ability to provide night golf.

“All the (light) fixtures, they got sucked straight up, for whatever reason,” Losey said. “They’re all pointed straight up in the air. If we turned them on at night, we could land a 747 here.”
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Top100Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 09:37:19 PM »
Thanks for the Update Steve......I'll post a fairway picture of Mountain Lake that actually shows a "Boat" in the middle of the fairway........it was blown there by Charley and the fairway spot where it is located is about 250 yards from where the boat "was" and the elevation change is about 40 feet...... :o

DTaylor18

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 10:02:31 PM »
McConkey, you probably have seen this already, but if you look in the members section of the website you will see a bunch of pictures and an update.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 10:07:27 PM »
A friend of mine told me tonight that Lake Nona called today to inform him that a corporate outing planned for the near future had to be canceled.  He told me that the caller told him last week we had a nice course with trees today we have a links course.  They have moved the event to another course in Orlando not effected by the storms, it did not have many trees to lose.

I am only relaying what was conveyed to me, I don't think this could ever qualify as a links course.  And my friend grew up on a links course in Ireland so he knew the caller was off base better than anyone.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

BigEdSC

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 10:56:17 AM »
RJ

When Hugo blew through Charleston some years ago, it did change some architectural aspects here.  At the Country Club, it did wipe out a lot of trees and I forget how long they were closed for.  Yeamans Hall lost a lot of trees.  At Wild Dunes, they changed the routing of the Harbor course.  Probably the one course that changed the most was Charleston National.  It was planned to open as a very exclusive course, along the lines of an Augusta National.  I never got to play the course before Hugo, but from people I know that got to, the course then is totally different from what it is today.

Top100Guru

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 11:19:56 AM »
Thanks Dan, I saw the pictures on our site......I will be down there in late October and will get a chance to see first hand.

Keith Williams

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 12:12:45 PM »
I haven't seen much footage from Captiva island, but couldn't help but wonder what might have happend to the little beachfront 9 holer-Redfish Point, at the South Seas Resort on Captiva.  I imagine with its proximity to the water that sizeable portions of the course might have been destroyed all together.

Keith.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 12:25:52 PM »
From today's Orlando Sentinel:

Charley changes the faces of many area golf courses

Wind knocked down many trees that added character to the courses and damaged clubhouses.

By Steve Elling | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted August 19, 2004

All over Central Florida, the randomness of Hurricane Charley is evident in its aftermath. One home stands undisturbed while a neighbor's house was hammered.

But there are other painful indications of Charley's capriciousness. Brothers Bill and Tom Stine, who have operated golf courses for 25 years, own three courses in Charlotte Harbor. The city is located three miles from Punta Gorda, where the storm came ashore.

They also own two courses in Osceola County -- including Kissimmee Bay Country Club, which lost dozens of course-defining oak trees, sustained significant clubhouse damage and had a bridge washed out when the high winds passed over Friday.

"What are the odds? We own five course in the state, and the hurricane hit all five of them," Tom said Wednesday.

Kissimmee Bay is one of several courses in Central Florida that remains closed as a result of hurricane damage, with the quiet hum of golf carts replaced by a cacophony of chain saws and backhoes as the owners try to clear the grounds and reopen their clubhouse doors.

In a lot of ways, the characteristics that make golf courses so pretty what make them susceptible to hurricanes and high wind -- lots of wide-open spaces surrounded by thick pockets of trees planted in well-irrigated ground. Virtually all of the estimated 150 courses in the region lost trees or sustained damage to their clubhouses, and many still are scrambling to get back in business.

Oddly, Kissimmee Bay sustained far worse damage than the trio of courses owned by the Stines near Punta Gorda. A stand of old-growth oak trees that defined the first three holes at Kissimmee Bay, a semi-private course, were savaged, he said.

"What are you supposed to do, replant them and wait 100 years for them to grow back?" Bill Stine said.

Like Kissimmee Bay, prestigious Lake Nona Golf and Country Club also is located in the storm's direct path. Lake Nona, which is located adjacent to Orlando International Airport, felt sustained winds of 75 mph and suffered major tree damage. A gust of 105 mph was clocked Friday night at the airport.

The upscale home base to several of the biggest names in professional golf, it took a full day just to clear away the trees blocking the entrance to the enclave. The cleanup will take a minimum of 10 days, and officials say they fear the aesthetics and design of the course have been affected significantly.

"The tree damage, it's just devastating," said Gregor Jamieson, Lake Nona's director of golf. "We've lost a lot of character trees, ones that were intentionally left behind when the course was built, that will be very hard to replace."

Jamieson said that workers haven't been able to mow the fairways, and there also is mounting concern regarding the course's subsurface drainage and irrigation systems, which appear to have been damaged by falling trees or silt congestion. Jamieson estimates the development lost more than 1,000 trees and that the course's tally alone "is in the high hundreds."

Resident and former PGA Tour pro Frank Nobilo, now a Golf Channel commentator, was among those working feverishly with a chain saw to get the roads into the development cleared.

"The damage, right now, it's hard to take it all in," Jamieson said.

Joel Jackson of the Florida Golf Course Superintendents Association said some of the worst damage was reported in Winter Haven, where Lake Region Yacht and Country Club lost about 800 trees. Mountain Lake, a club in Lake Wales, sustained similar damage, and neither is expected to reopen for several weeks.

Tree damage is bad enough, but courses such as Lake Nona and Kissimmee Bay also face irrigation issues. Because of matters relating to electricity or the lack of drainage, the courses are not being watered, which fast will become a problem if it stops raining and the course dries out.

Orlando's Rio Pinar Country Club, a former PGA Tour site the name of which translates into "river of pines" in Spanish, also was spanked, losing an estimated 300 trees. Employees were on the course all day Wednesday on clean-up detail, and the course won't re-open until next week.

With 99 holes of golf, Disney World has the greatest acreage in the area, but the resort was only nicked by the storm, relatively speaking. Lee Rawls, Disney's director of golf, said the resort lost roughly 200 trees on each course, but few that should affect playability. The courses reopened Sunday. Disney hosts a PGA Tour event in October.

"I think we were very, very fortunate that we were right on the edge of the storm," Rawls said.

The storm was hard on bargain-priced courses. Historic Dubsdread Golf Course in College Park, the closest thing to a municipal course in Orlando, lost several key trees, including an old oak on the 16th hole. The back nine won't reopen until Saturday.

Bay Hill reopened nine holes Wednesday, and officials say they hope to have the rest of the 27-hole facility reopened by Friday.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John_Conley

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 01:47:49 PM »
R.J. Daley:

You get it, my man.  I've been fortunate to have a roof over my head and a place to shower; my own home still is without electricity and just had water restored yesterday.  Golf is pretty far from my mind.

Here's hoping that everything in Central and SW Florida gets restored in the next month so we can all get back to worrying about more trivial pursuits.

Like the San Diego brushfires, you can't get a sense of it unless you saw it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 05:02:53 PM »
John, I feel your pain.  We had five hurricanes in the first five years I lived here in Pensacola (1995-present, started with Erin and Opal in 1995).  No electricity an average of a week each, the power companies have a daunting task to get everybody back on line.  And unfortunately some homes no longer have walls to connect to.

I have fond memories of that little nine-holer at South Seas Plantation on Capitva, especially the 90 yarder across the yacht harbor inlet!  

Hope all gets back together, John, and the lights go back on soon.   You're right, although at times nothing seems more important than golf architecture, there really are more important issues in life!  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back