News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Which is the hole with the best name that
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
incorporates the architecture and the playability of the hole ?

Sure there's "Punchbowl", "short", "narrows", "plateau", "Double Plateau", Biarritz and others, but, the one hole with a great name, a name that incorporates an architectural feature and playability is at Westhampton.

It's the 8th hole.

"SENILITY RIDGE"

There's a ridge that traverses the fairway, at a 90 degree angle to the tee.
I don't know the exact distance, I'll have to measure it the next time I'm there.

But, It takes a good poke to get over "Senility Ridge", especially with a prevailing wind in your face.

When you play Westhampton, you know about "Senility Ridge", you anticipate playing the hole and you anticipate getting your drive over "Senility Ridge"

"Senility Ridge" isn't just a feature, an obstacle to be overcome.

It's a signal.

A signal to golfers who play the hole on a regular basis.

If after playing Westhampton all summer, you can't get over "Senility Ridge", it's a signal that you need to move up one set of tees.

"Senililty Ridge" is 417 from the Red tees, 385 from the Whites and 370 from the Blues.
It plays longer due to the prevailing wind.

The last three times I played # 8, I hit 7-iron, 4-iron and 2-iron, not quite getting over "Senility Ridge" when I had to hit the 2-iron.

What other holes have names that incorporate BOTH a distinguishing feature and playability aspects ?

Phil_the_Author

Re: Which is the hole with the best name that
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:10:10 PM »
Tilly's "Hell's Half Acre" grand hazard's...

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:15:08 PM »
DOUBLE DOG LEG PAR FIVE another Tilly gem always cracks me up. Its like the ultimate long crooked hole.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 05:13:03 AM »
Names that evolved over time fine, new courses that name holes...... extremely NAFF.
Cave Nil Vino

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 06:58:18 AM »
I just played the former Hunters Pointe (now branded Loch Ness Links) in Welland, Ontario.  They named all 18 holes, then renamed #18 after the name change, calling it "Nessie."  Vomit, vomit, vomit.

Now, on to the thread topic.  Mark, what is NAFF?  It sounds like an acronym I want to use.

I think that LNL might be a candidate for the greatest number of names that invoke no association with the hole.  Examples given:  #2 is Braisant (translated from the scottish as 'bold.'); #3 is Meltshop (makes me think of highwaymen pouring tar on a hot July day); #6 is Sweet Misery (a manic-depressive's favorite saloon gal); #7 is Halfpipe (this is not a mountain course, with no tubing, skateboarding nor snowboarding for miles around); #9 is Triple Threat (sound like ice cream gone horribly wrong); #11 is Urban Legend (I'm still laughing); #14 is Lochhidden (the irrigation pond is 30 yards right of the green) and then the course closes with a run of collector's editions:  Dunk, Money Maker, Endways and the aforementioned Nessie.

Truly a minor shame, as the course is quite enjoyable and the greens were smooth on Monday.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:09:59 PM »
Naff - tasteless, tacky, etc. not an acronym
Cave Nil Vino

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 02:14:51 PM »
Maybe the Postage Stamp?
But I don't believe anyone designer repeated it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:16:23 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 02:24:23 PM »
I should have been clearer.

By "name", I meant the name of the hole as it appears on the scorecard, and not a generic or nickname attributed to the hole.

Shane Wright

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 02:36:46 PM »
The "Pit" at North Berwick. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »
I will nominate the WORST named hole and Wyatt Halliday will chuckle.

The hole named "Redan" at The Bandit Golf Club in New Braunfels TX has absolutely none of the usual characteristics of a Redan hole!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 04:25:39 PM »
The "Redan" hole on The Greenbrier Course goes low left to high right and has nothing in it that closely resembles a Redan.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back