News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

grandwazo

Kohler Trip
« on: August 16, 2004, 12:22:34 PM »
I've just been offered a two and half day trip to Kohler, Sept 13-15, starting with an afternoon round the day of arrival on Whistling, 36 the next day on the River and Valley courses, finishing with 18 on the Irish course the day of departure.  After watching the tournament this weekend there is no doubt I want to play the Straits, but for those of you who have played Kohler, is this overkill and will it be too much to handle in such a short period of time?
Thanks!
Jeff

SL_Solow

Re:Kohler Trip
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 12:33:58 PM »
Its a lot of golf but if you can handle it its worth it.  The River is a terrific parkland course and the Meadows Valley, while not as "big" is very interesting.  The Irish is the weakest of the lot.  Are you staying at the American Club?  A trip you should not pass up.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 12:40:18 PM »
Is the batting order for the courses you will play set or can you modify it.  I'd suggest if possible to play Irish first.  Then have your 2 round day at BWR in either order because you can't go wrong there.  Finish with Whistling if your package allows that for a more memorable finish.  If you are lucky enough to also get American Club in your deal, you will have very fine accomodations and a couple of good restaurants for dining in the resort-spa.  But, if you have a free night to dine out, try Stefano's in down town Sheboygan.

Is it too much?  I'll bet you'll be tired after that three days. ;)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 12:45:02 PM »
Definitely a trip worth taking, and not too much golf in a short period of time.  The American Club is fantastic, and worth a see, even if you're not staying there...

There is a slight possibility that the 36 hole day might wind up a bit tight from a daylight standpoint, if the first round was a 5 1/2 hr brute.  Since it's a Tuesday though, you're likely to be OK.  Good to have the Whistling Straits rounds be the only ones those days...

Most consider the Irish course to be the weakest of that lot, so in one sense, it may be too bad you're finishing there.  On the other hand, if you get up that morning and the weather's marginal, you won't have to regret passing on it...

In any event, it's a terrific 4-plex of public access golf, and you should enjoy them all.  It'd be worth seeing the back tees at Straits, if you can, although I don't know if they'll let anyone play them....

Peter

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 01:23:31 PM »
play the meadows before the river - river is SOOOOO much better - so you'd rather end with the better course.

same goes for the other pair - play the Irish, then the Straits.

Or just play the River and the Straits twice.  ;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 01:31:07 PM »
Be a total pain in the butt and ask to play the river-valley.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 01:32:06 PM »
Paul, If you are saying that the Meadows is a throw-away, I really can't agree with that.  If the Meadows existed alone, it would still be a pretty fine afternoon of golf, IMHO.  Although, I'll qualify that with the thought that it would have to finish on 18 with the championship green across the river, not the near side green that is used most often, as I understand it.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 01:35:25 PM »
Dick- I always thought both greens were always open? Allowing the ladies a reasonable chance at par.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 01:39:05 PM »
I don't know for sure, the last time I played it was with you.  Did they have the short "ladies" green there?  I only vaguely remember.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 01:44:10 PM »
That is truely sad Dick. I've had three birthdays since that fateful day. ;D

I'm sure both greens are (or were) opened all the time.

Having a particular bone or two, with that hole, Maurice Chavalier comes to my mind, with: "Yes, I remember it well"

grandwazo

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 01:46:59 PM »
Gentleman,
Thank you for your prompt replies.  I am the guest, the schedule was arranged back in April, I'm filling in for clients who have backed out at the last minute, no changes allowed at this point.  We are staying at the American Club.
Sounds like an opportunity not too be missed, I appreciate the time taken to reply.
Regards
Jeff

Paul Richards

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 02:09:26 PM »
Rich

The Meadow Valley is by no means a throw-away.

However, the River is a MUCH better course.

My last time there, I made the mistake that I am trying to prevent grandwazo from making - I played the River, which I absolutely LOVE, and then played the Meadow Valley - which is great in places, average in others - and felt such a let-down to finish on the Meadows.

I would always prefer to build-up to the better finish, rather than play the better course first and feel a let-down going home.

For these same reasons, I recommend the Irish first, and then onto the much-stronger Straits for a build-up finish.

;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Scratch_Nathan

Kohler Trip
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 03:15:22 PM »

I'm a big fan of the Irish and I'd pick the Irish over Meadow Valley.  Parkland courses can be played all over the country (and MV is certainly a very good one) but the Irish course is a unique and special golf course and you just don't get to see a lot of golf like it.

Pack in as much Kohler golf into your stay as you possibly can. Played 5 rounds in four days on the four courses two summers ago and it still wasn't enough.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 04:33:01 PM »
It sounds like a helluva trip. And if you don't want to play the Irish (or you want a 36 hole day that day), consider playing The Bull, a Nicklaus course about five minutes from BWR.

They have a pretty good website at golfthebull.com if you want to check it out.

blasbe1

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 01:57:26 PM »
It's a great trip:

For golfing purposes:

Play the Straights and River courses twice if you've only got four rounds.

For dining purposes:

Be sure to eat at the Immigrant Room, you will not be disappointed and try to eat at the restaurant in the River Course clubhouse, I had a great wild boar there and it's very interesting if you're into game.

Enjoy!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back