News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Friar's or Merion
« on: August 03, 2004, 02:02:46 PM »
If you were given the choice between these two what would you choose?  

Also, does anyone know if either allows unaccompained play?

Mike Hendren

Re:Friar's or Merion
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 02:17:41 PM »
If I may be so bold as to pre-empt the inevitable access bashing comments,  I think this is a fascinating question for those of us who have yet to golf the ball in their neck-o-woods.  And for those of us who are hopelessly (and perhaps foolishly) biased (i.e., in love with) toward the "classics."

Is Friar's Head good enough to eschew Merion?  Or phrased differently, how would you divide ten rounds?  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 03:21:53 PM »
I would go 7 Friar's Head and 3 Merion. I think you have an opportunity to play more shots at Friar's and the wind can definitely make for a different course each time out. I have FH in my top 5 and Merion in my top 15 so it is a difficult choice.
Mr Hurricane

ChipOat

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 03:34:39 PM »
They're very different - play both twice and then decide.

No unaccompanied guests at Merion; like Shinnecock, FH can arrange it through a member at certain times if the guest is well known to the member.

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 06:43:23 PM »

Calm down access seekers.  Knowing someone from a website ain't going to do it at Friar's Head.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 07:16:30 PM »

Calm down access seekers.  Knowing someone from a website ain't going to do it at Friar's Head.

darn, I was so looking forward to playing with you Hearst!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 07:29:50 PM »

Dugger, I would recommend Friar's Head to anyone.  Did not know your were a CGA access seeker.  Hopefully soon the GHIN site will allow for searches by club only rather than name.  That will make the site more effective for some.  :)

Ken Bakst used to make contributions on this site, it would be great to hear from him again but I suspect he may be scared off by all the treasure seekers on this site.

I would go Merion 7 FH 3.  

SPDB

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 07:54:29 PM »
Ham - If you had to guess, what percentage of your posts do you think concern either:

1) fawning praise of Pat Mucci
2) comments about "access-seekers"

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 08:03:01 PM »

Spdb

What difference does it make.  Pat Mucci is a solid contributor to this site who helps it keep the content focused on  it's mission, talking about architecture.  

If you have no problem with the "access seekers" why don't you publicize where you may be able to help them play.  I choose not to play that game.

In answer to your direct question, I suspect 7-3.  What percentage of your posts are personal attacks?

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 08:28:15 PM »
Gut reaction, I would probably agree with Mr Hurricane's 7-3 in favor of FH. However that is biased due to the fact that I have played Merion many times over the years with home town friends. Taking the Ran view, it came out different on a hole by hole match play:

1 FH +1
2 FH +2
3 M  +1
4 M  E
5 E
6 M  (FH -1)
7 FH  E
8 M   (FH -1)
9 M  (FH -2)
10 FH  -1
11 M (FH -2)
12 M (FH -3)
13 M (FH -4)
14 FH (FH -3)
15 FH (FH -2)
16 M  (FH -3)
17 M  (FH -4)
18 M  (FH -5)

It is a good problem to have.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 01:43:11 AM »
 Steve-  to me this is sort of trying to decide on who you like better  Farrah Fawcett or Cheryl Ladd ( both of course when in their prime when I was a teenager).  Both courses are awesome and I think Friar's will easily be in the top 50 in the world when the next ratings come out.  Merion has such a great history that it probably gets the nod now, but I wouldn't mind playing either at any opportunity.  

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 08:06:00 AM »
Friar's for me. Merion is wonderful, but Friar's is greaaaat!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 09:41:41 AM »
Wayne F:

Making the top 50 courses in the world is not so easy and not to be underestimated.  Basically, more than half the panel has to agree that the course should be ranked that high.  I will probably vote that highly for Friars Head [as I always have for Merion], but it's naive to assume that everyone else will.  [If every panelist voted for a course in the top 50, but none in the top ten, it would finish about #25.]

I've been to Friars Head three times now and I think it is a great course.  I trust the rankings will recognize it as such ... but don't get caught up in the numbers.

As for a match play, it's tough to compete with those finishing holes at Merion.

Alex_Wyatt

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 10:37:01 AM »
"I trust the rankings will recognize it as such ... but don't get caught up in the numbers."

What a wonderful thought, Tom.  Couldn't agree more.

As a great sommelier, widely respected around the world once told me about evaluating wine: If you like it, its good.

Alex_Wyatt

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2004, 09:13:19 AM »
Has there been a thread recently about Merion's lengthening and the attempt to "take it back to the original" in the Fazio restoration?

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2004, 05:49:55 PM »
Tom-  I certainly appreciate your wisdom and comments.   I loved my day at Friar's last year -  C and C designed a course for the ages and were so sensitive to the natural surroundings. I loved the routing and variation of the holes and the greens are awesome. Having played half of the country's and world's top 50, I can't believe it won't end up there. I love Merion though, and the finishing holes are amazing. From a match play standpoint, I think I'd pick Merion every time.

Gerry B

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2004, 11:30:33 PM »
Have played both - Merion more often as it is older. As good as Friars Head is  - great track -great vibe, etc,  - it is hard to beat Merion -which is in my top 5. Greater number of memorable holes IMHO - and some  of the best finishing holes  in golf. I agree with Nicklaus's quote of many years ago that it may be yard for yard the best test of golf anywhere. And those fantastic greens are hard to beat. I find Friars Head very fair and Merion East is often referred as Merion "Beast" for a reason.I last played it in late June  - the day of the Club Championship qualifier and the pins were impossible on some of the holes -my  host said that he had not seen such difficult pin positions in the 15 years that he had  been a member. I had played there previously when they used the 1971 US Open Sunday pin positions and these were more difficult on most of the holes -coupled with greens that were running around 13.5 -14 according to the caddies

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 12:44:46 PM »
I know which course has the best looking bunkers!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2004, 01:19:17 PM »
Having played Merion once and Friar's Head zero, I would play Merion 4 times and Friar's 5 times to even the match and throw in once with Cybil Sheppard(speaking of classics) for good measure.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

mike_malone

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2004, 02:38:47 PM »
 Steve
  I think you can handle either of those courses,BUT Cybil would be the death of you!
AKA Mayday

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2004, 08:14:40 PM »
Oh Magoo! Foiled again!

DMoriarty

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2004, 02:11:55 AM »
Come on guys, everyone knows that Friars Head wasnt even the best new private course of last year.   Those savvy Golf Digest raters told us so.  

In all fairness, shouldn't this thread be called Merion or Black Rock or at least Friars or Black Rock?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2004, 07:01:26 PM »
Steve Roths,

Anyone who wouldn't be satisfied with playing either one is lacking in judgement, an eye for superb architecture, golf, and great experiences.

Each course is unique and compliments the game of golf.
It's not a competition, its a matter of appreciation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back