News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A_Clay_Man

The 8100 yard Club Antler Creek
« on: August 01, 2004, 10:12:21 PM »
O.k. so it's at elevation. Located north and east of Colorado Springs, Antler Creek requires a drive thru a very Wisconsinesqe, almost kettle morraine like terrain to get there from Denver. Then there's the pine forest, letting-out in dry ditch country which is the area that comprises this $30 Daily Fee housing course. Before anyone jumps on the housing, the reality is the course wouldn't be there without them, so save the kvetching.

Designer Rick Phelps has done it again, using as much of the natural features caused by the dry washes to create what is purported to be a FUN golf course. Purported, because due to a flat tire, I was only able to tour the course, for the second time.

Pro Joe Linnemeyer, and Asst. Bobby Hart, are sure to welcome everyone with the grace and hospitality of true veterans.

Superintendent Greg Gomes has done a fabulous job with grow-in, since he only recently got his pumphouse and a an actual maintenance buiilding. He's ready for Mother Nature to turn off her spiget. Ironic, since a year ago this region was in dire starits, with what seemed like a 5 year drought.

Not sure of the quality but here's an example of Rick's ability to do the craggy.

Antler Creek's 12th hole from forward teeing ground

The course measured-out at 8165 yards, short?

The naturalness exemplified runs throughout this varied lay-out. Welldone to Rick and his entire team.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 11:13:23 PM by Adam Clayman »

A_Clay_Man

Re:The 8100 Club
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 10:20:14 PM »

The picture doesn't do the contours justice on this par 5, but the green has a wonderful bunkerless hillside on the right, which allows for playing the ground game.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 10:20:54 PM by Adam Clayman »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 10:16:21 AM »
Adam:

I am a big fan of Rick Phelps and his work at Devil's Thumb in Delta, CO is a superb course given the minimal budget. The split fairway at #13 is very special and fun.

How would you compare the two coruses -- I hope to play the 8,100 layout sometime next year?

Thanks ...

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 10:21:54 AM »
Here's another example of Rick's blending of the natural features found on site.

Bill talks about the big money guys. I'm not so sure these guys were'nt. What was unique about this project was the configuration of the principles. Two separate developers, from two different cities, had projects side by side and agreed that a golf course would add to the homes values.  Getting the parties to sit down to agree to any changes, was a logistical headache. So, I guess Rick has that one down.

I look forward to hearing about that 3 four hole loops, in Fargo.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 11:03:27 PM »

Matt- Comparisons would be hard for two reasons. One, I haven't golfed AC yet. And two, the property types are so dis-similar and the marching orders were from completely different perspectives. However, I would speculate that AC will get better acclaim from guys closer to your caliber of player. Especially since the site smacks of serious and continuous wind. And is about $30.

There is no WOW hole, such as the 13th at DT, but all in all I think this design will provide for more enjoyment, for more people, than the course in Delta. (just demographics)And as I said earlier, the tie-ins to a more natural, makes the transistion from the surrounds a strong intangable and could hit the unsuspecting public like a subliminal ad would.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 11:24:21 PM by Adam Clayman »

A_Clay_Man

Re:The 8100 yard Club Antler Creek
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 08:40:41 AM »
more..

Same hole as one of the above, just from farther back. Notice the tree for perspective.

johnk

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 05:14:40 PM »
Lovely looking course.  How far from Denver is it?

PS. Adam -
"apodous" is certainly an English word ending in "dous".  
It means "footless"

"iodous" is another - pertaining to iodine...

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 05:22:11 PM »
Thnax John, I'll change that tagline.

The course is perhaps an hour from Denver, maybe a tiny bit more. It's located North and East of Colorado Springs.

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 09:57:13 PM »
Just thought I would add a few more pictures of Antler Creek.  It officially opens this Thursday, and I am looking forward to playing it Friday.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 01:09:19 AM by Matthew Schulte »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 11:35:03 PM »
I am sitting here at a friends house introducing him to GCA.  Ironically enough he used to live in Grand Junction and was a member at Devils Thumb and couldnt say enough good things about the course.

For the price the place is unbelievable.  He was quite surprised that the course didnt even get a mention in any ratings when it was new as he thought it better from a strategic and shot making standpoint than Redlands Mesa.  Obviously it doesnt have the scenery of Redlands.

I wanted to have him place his first post tonight to get him hooked on GCA and ruin his life as well so that he can waste all the time that we all do here on this site.  But it wouldnt let us register him on the "register" button at the top.  Is membership full now and no one else able to get in???

Just wondering?

ps he asked if anyone here has seen/played Battlement Mesa as well?
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 11:50:31 PM »
Turboe- Your friend has a keen eye. I'm not sure on how to help get him registered, other than asking Ran.

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 02:38:47 AM »
Battlement Mesa - Yes - I played it in the early 1990's.
It's a good deal, but it's pretty remote.
Some of the tee shots are very scenic, but some of the tee shots are goofy golf - no place to hit it.  It was one of my first dry + elevation experiences  - It was scary how far it would carry then bounce.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2004, 08:26:30 PM »
Turboe:

Battlement Mesa is a nice place to play golf but for those who are really into architecture they need to venture to Delta and play Devil's Thumb. I've been there twice and frankly I don't make return visits to out of the way places just for the helluva it.

Rick Phelps did a superb job with the site and I agree with your friend that it's beyond Redlands Mesa. The reality is that DT gets little ink simply because of its remoteness. A true pity but for those who love quality stuff a trip well worth making IMHO.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 08:32:27 AM »
Jeepers: Rick Phelps is talented!

What a shame to have some of his best work undermined with "eyesore" real estate dagging on the horizon.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 08:37:03 AM »
Paul- As matt has stated, Devil's thumb is the antithesis if this housing course. No eyesores, unless you consider ancient clay mounds accentuated by far off mega mesas. One of which has eroded to the point of looking thumb like, hence the name.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 08:42:32 AM »
Adam: Thanks. I'm all for RE antithesis, especially as one then gets to see the golf-course architecture unblighted.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 09:25:37 AM »
Paul- The course sits on two different types of terrain. I'll let the pics do the talking.

The 13th alternate fairway (260 carry) from the teeing ground

The green is saddle like and falls off the back from the crown visible.

The 7th with 13 in backround

« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 09:26:51 AM by Adam Clayman »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 10:08:01 AM »
And in reverse looking back

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2004, 01:34:55 PM »
Adam:

Great pictures -- I truly believe the split fairway at #13 is one of the best holes I have seen of that type. Kudos to Rick for a hole that inspires a full range of alternate strategies. And, just how coooooool is that green!

Devil's Thumb has so much to offer -- it reminds me of the unique design aspects you find at Rustic Canyon. The issue for DT is that being in Delta will preclude much fanfare simply because so few people will actually trek there. The good news is that when you do arrive there won't be that many people to contend with.

Right up the street about 50 miles is Redlands Mesa and although Jim Engh did a very solid job with that layout I don't see how Redlands Mesa can make a case that it is a better overall architectural design. Yes, it's in tip top shape but Rick Phelps did a splendid job with the totality of DT. For those who have the time a slight detour off I-70 will be well worth their time.

P.S. You also can't beat the price ...

Paul_Daley

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2004, 06:33:08 AM »
Adam: the two courses are world's apart, terrain wise. Thanks for the images and commentary.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2004, 09:51:07 AM »
I just hope Rick is too busy to post his own commentary.

It will be interesting to analyze the two courses. I have a feeling the course, Antler Creek, on the lesser terrain might just be a better architectural feat. Creating interest, where the terrain didn't offer it. Devil's Thumb was still a challenge because of the two distinct types of ground, and one of my favorites wan't one of the WOW holes, it was the seventh, where he had to transition up onto the flatter section. Simple and tasteful.

But I can relay one thing Rick did say about this web site. He extolled the ability to click his mouse and see far off places, it would take a lifetime to visit.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back